Triangle attacks.

Also, could do with a few ideas of triangle entries. Trying to improve these

The way Ryan Hall finishes the triangle choke is superior to the traditional way, and this is not up for debate. My coach teaches Ryans method and it is completely superior. If I don't want my arm to be pulled across my body, nobody is forcing it across unless they are like 70 pounds heavier than me and much much stronger. When somebody goes perpendicular it doesn"t matter, I'm going to sleep. It chokes faster, prevents slamming, disables almost every single triangle escape and even makes the armbar transition much easier.

PS: The Kimura on both arms from the triangle position is a money move.

When I am in the position of a triangle but cant actually finish the choke, what other attacks could I go for? I.e shoulder locks armbars?

Also could you link some videos.

Thanks
Triangle links to omos and armbars pretty well. It depends on what your opponent's preferred method of blocking it is. I tend to have more success if I throw up different looks to try and get their mind to start racing, and they'll eventually give me something. Keenan has a very good triangle tutorial on YouTube, I suggest looking at it.

My .02

The way Ryan Hall finishes the triangle choke is superior to the traditional way, and this is not up for debate. My coach teaches Ryans method and it is completely superior. If I don't want my arm to be pulled across my body, nobody is forcing it across unless they are like 70 pounds heavier than me and much much stronger. When somebody goes perpendicular it doesn"t matter, I'm going to sleep. It chokes faster, prevents slamming, disables almost every single triangle escape and even makes the armbar transition much easier.

PS: The Kimura on both arms from the triangle position is a money move.

Yes and no.

The problem with not getting the arm across when someone does the elbow down defense is that unless you have very long legs, you can't lock triangle high enough to create the chocke, if the arm isn't across but is just hanging in there with no porpouse then it's totally irrelevant, but if he's using his arm as to prevent you from locking it up, then you will have to deal with that arm. It depends on the body type. FrOm a SD point of view its extremely important to get the arm across in order avoid someone biting your junk out of desperation.

I know ll has always been a big proponent of this type of technique, Nico Welko (ll black belt) showed this way box of executing the triangle on his seminar and he had no fucking idea who Ryan was. Also he showed a neck crank defense, another good reason why no to stay square, I always wondered why never seen this defense apply in Mma

Yes and no.

The problem with not getting the arm across when someone does the elbow down defense is that unless you have very long legs, you can't lock triangle high enough to create the chocke, if the arm isn't across but is just hanging in there with no porpouse then it's totally irrelevant, but if he's using his arm as to prevent you from locking it up, then you will have to deal with that arm. It depends on the body type. FrOm a SD point of view its extremely important to get the arm across in order avoid someone biting your junk out of desperation.

I know ll has always been a big proponent of this type of technique, Nico Welko (ll black belt) showed this way box of executing the triangle on his seminar and he had no fucking idea who Ryan was. Also he showed a neck crank defense, another good reason why no to stay square, I always wondered why never seen this defense apply in Mma

Oh sure, if you have trouble locking the triangle up, then sure, you should try to position his arm so that his shoulder is in a better position to be locked up. I thought we were talking about a triangle that was already locked up. My bad. My favorite way to escape the triangle is to try 2 things. First, I jump up, grab his head with the arm that is outside the triangle, form a gable grip, start switching my hips like a stack pass and that usually just breaks the triangle and gives me a side control/cradle position. If that doesn't work, I try to get my feet on his body and attack his legs once I'm out of the triangle.

So offensively, that means I am always shoulder crawling backwards and checking his biceps to make sure he doesn't stack me. If he can't stack me, he can't really do much to escape, and then I don't really give a shit what he does. He's getting submitted, it's just a matter of how long it will take. I do agree with your priorities though. If I feel I can finish the triangle, I won't give it up for anything else.

I think Ill have to leave wristlocks till im blue, looking forward too seeing how they go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back