Triangle attacks.

is that because your legs are too short or too thick?

IF thats the case, I guess is all right, if thats not the case, you should start working on finishing them, ryan hall is reallly going to help you do it.
I don't struggle with finishing them, I just prefer the armbar and the sweep, they work well there, because most people are two concerned over the triangle they don't defend the other options as well.

I don't struggle with finishing them, I just prefer the armbar and the sweep, they work well there, because most people are two concerned over the triangle they don't defend the other options as well.

both are inferior moves.

If you can finish the triangle, why on earth are you sweeping people? (unless you are just rolling around and not looking for the finish)
armbars, well, its a joinlock, chokes>joint locks bt I guess is a matter of preference, I can understand this, but there is absolutely no reason to go for a sweep over a finish, unless you cant finish the move.

both are inferior moves.

If you can finish the triangle, why on earth are you sweeping people? (unless you are just rolling around and not looking for the finish)
armbars, well, its a joinlock, chokes>joint locks bt I guess is a matter of preference, I can understand this, but there is absolutely no reason to go for a sweep over a finish, unless you cant finish the move.
Well now we're talking two different things.

In a self-defense situation, yes the triangle being a choke is the finish that should be a higher priority.

In the gym or competition, I always put priority on sweeps over submissions from bottom.
Priority list:
1. Position
2. Transition
3. Submission

Im surprised nobody mentioned the ever present wristlock, with one arm trapped and the other isolated it can be hit several different ways.

Well now we're talking two different things.

In a self-defense situation, yes the triangle being a choke is the finish that should be a higher priority.

In the gym or competition, I always put priority on sweeps over submissions from bottom.
Priority list:
1. Position
2. Transition
3. Submission

in a competition if you have a semi locked triangle, YOU ARE in position already. You dont need to look for other position, if anything, I would do this in a SD situation, where being on bottom is dangerous even if you are pulling a triangle, in a competition, there is no danger of getting slamed on your head.

in the gym if you like to play around no problem, thats on man, but dont get things twisted, a sweep in not even in the same ball park than a locked sub...

in a competition if you have a semi locked triangle, YOU ARE in position already. You dont need to look for other position, if anything, I would do this in a SD situation, where being on bottom is dangerous even if you are pulling a triangle, in a competition, there is no danger of getting slamed on your head.

in the gym if you like to play around no problem, thats on man, but dont get things twisted, a sweep in not even in the same ball park than a locked sub...

I think one issue in this thread, at least for me, I'm not sure if we are talking about a locked triangle, or legs crossed with arm in--or "ready" to triangle. In the second scenario, that's where I'm keeping one eye on my fallback options if it doesn't seem like I can get his posture under control and advance the triangle. Against a tough guy with good defense, in my experience, if you don't slap on a locked-in triangle from the start, you aren't guaranteed at all to finish it from the "ready" position...odds still in your favor, but not overwhelmingly so--heck, my instructor will do this fuck-your-triangle, posture and gi choke from the "ready" position all the time...so it is even possible to be submitted.

I'd rather have an armbar locked into position or be in top side side control after a sweep, than have a semi-locked triangle from bottom. Over-committing can get a guy in trouble, hence I'm always willing to bale and execute the sweep instead.

I just prefer armbars over triangles in competition I guess. I train under Dave Camarillo's Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu system, Dave is an armlock master, this is partly why I favor them more. Also, because armbars are faster for competition IMO.

Im surprised nobody mentioned the ever present wristlock, with one arm trapped and the other isolated it can be hit several different ways.

Yup. A very legit option...gives them something to think about if nothing else, and cheap to try.

I'd rather have an armbar locked into position or be in top side side control after a sweep, than have a semi-locked triangle from bottom. Over-committing can get a guy in trouble, hence I'm always willing to bale and execute the sweep instead.

I just prefer armbars over triangles in competition I guess. I train under Dave Camarillo's Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu system, Dave is an armlock master, this is partly why I favor them more. Also, because armbars are faster for competition IMO.

Again, armbars, we can agree to disagree.

Sweeps vs a semi locked triangle is not upto debate lol. Finish the damn triangle!

I think one issue in this thread, at least for me, I'm not sure if we are talking about a locked triangle, or legs crossed with arm in--or "ready" to triangle. In the second scenario, that's where I'm keeping one eye on my fallback options if it doesn't seem like I can get his posture under control and advance the triangle. Against a tough guy with good defense, in my experience, if you don't slap on a locked-in triangle from the start, you aren't guaranteed at all to finish it from the "ready" position...odds still in your favor, but not overwhelmingly so--heck, my instructor will do this fuck-your-triangle, posture and gi choke from the "ready" position all the time...so it is even possible to be submitted.

leg cross we can all it diamond guard, and yeah It depends on the person and the person whos defending. Short stocky leg type of guy or even a normal vs a beast, well, is no that easy, or easy at all, Rustam aint even that big but he baits the triangle all the time to pass (lovato caught him though at adcc 2013) A diamond guard is not a semi locked triangle, this discussion was more like a locked triangle with the person defending and having troubles to finish it. At least thats what I was talking about.

In the gi, I know a dude that does the same, he will grab you collar and put al of his weight on top of you kind of choking you, not many people can do this, because is not just about technique, but is about having your arteries very deep, there are people like this. No gi though, he cant do this.

Sounds like you over commit all the time, then. Agree to disagree.

Not at all, but I'm pretty good at it, if I got a semi lock triangle I am not opening it, I got good at it by training it, if you transition all the time then your triangle will suck... (Semi lock is not diamond guard)

Not at all, but I'm pretty good at it, if I got a semi lock triangle I am not opening it, I got good at it by training it, if you transition all the time then your triangle will suck... (Semi lock is not diamond guard)
I don't doubt that you've trained your triangle finishes, it just sounds like your attack is very singular. When I shoot a triangle entry, people are worried about 3-4 different subsequent attacks, not just the triangle.

^ thats how I'm aiming to be, Id rather have them thinking about other subs as well as the triangle rather than just the triangle

^ thats how I'm aiming to be, Id rather have them thinking about other subs as well as the triangle rather than just the triangle

Let's put it this way, you got the back you got sit belt control, you got the Choking arm under the chin, the only thing you need to do is fight to get the locking arm free and lock the rnc, who cares if he's only worry about the rnc, you need to be good enough to get it from that position wether he knows what's coming or not...

Braulio Estimata is probably the best guy to study on finishing the triangle proper. Honorable mention to Ryan Hall.

Mendes bros also use the triangle, not for the choke though funily enough, they just go strait to the triangle arm bar. I imagine its ultimately more reliable than either the usual arm bar set up *or* the triangle choke.

Braulio Estimata is probably the best guy to study on finishing the triangle proper. Honorable mention to Ryan Hall.

Mendes bros also use the triangle, not for the choke though funily enough, they just go strait to the triangle arm bar. I imagine its ultimately more reliable than either the usual arm bar set up *or* the triangle choke.

I found ryans method better, caio added something to my finishes too.

Does he have alot of Triangle troubleshooting on his website? Does he do it the more traditional way? personally i'm not a fan of Ryan Hall's finish.When it works it works well,but sometimes aids their escape.I believe there is a reason the top guys arent adoping his methods.

Does he have alot of Triangle troubleshooting on his website? Does he do it the more traditional way? personally i'm not a fan of Ryan Hall's finish.When it works it works well,but sometimes aids their escape.I believe there is a reason the top guys arent adoping his methods.

how does it aid to the escape? anyways, is basically the same as the traditional way, except those who rather stay straight, but most guys do get a 90 angle, ryan goes a little further, but the power you generate from the stomp and curl is way better than the traditional way, there is absolutely no wonder about this.

Back