Training with a cold??

mogway

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a bjj competition coming up on Sunday and unfortunately I have been caught up with a cold since last saturday. I Trained like a maniac before that and my last training was on saturday morning.

I have two questions:
- Will my cardio be affected by this cold?
- should I go training tonight? I don't feel particularly weaker but just cannot breath from the nose.

Thanks

Seems to me there's a lot of supposition and subjectivity here, anyone know of any resources with decent evidence?

Dunno where that strength is supposed to come from, I feel weak as shit!

i wouldn't train with a team because you will probably give it to them. I would train hard on your own through. Most of the time, getting over colds are more mental than anything. If you can convince yourself that you are fine, you will be fine. A good rule of thumb is that if your main symptons are neck up, like soar throat, congestion, that kind of thing, excersise is about the best thing you can do. If your symptons are neck down, aches, stomach virus, fever, excersise is about the worst thing you can do.

Your cardio will be affected in the way that you won't be able to go as hard as when you aren't sick.
No you should not go training tonight. If you have a competition coming up, rest. Get well, and be fresh for the competition.

Hamit Aktas said:
If you have a competition coming up, rest. Get well, and be fresh for the competition.
quoted for emphasis.

If, however, you find yourself with a cold and you don't have a fight coming up, consider whether or not you would go into work. if the answer is yes, you're ok to train and it might actually help you get better. However, since you have a tourney coming up, you should be tapering your training and taking it easy this week anyways.

Training too hard will deplete your body of the energy that it needs to fight the cold

Take it easy this week, do a light jog around ur block with a sweater on and see how u feel. Its light and ull sweat some if it off

Ah, I got a cold about 2 days ago. I felt like I was going to die and then I remembered I was going to go practice that night, I was sad...I hate missing jits. Anyway, getting colds suck. I just took yesterday off and today I'm just doing light cardio. Keep warm, rest, all that good stuff and you'll be fine in a few days.

all i know is, next time you have a fever, put a sweater on and go hit the bag or lift weights. then eat and drink like a motherfucker. you can get twice as much done if you have a fever to make you feel cold all the time. lol

Read the following article. It's a strength training article however you can apply the same principles to any training you want:

Sick? Go Train!
by Mike Mahler

"I'm sick. Should I train or not?"

That question pops up on forums all the time. The answer? Yes, you should train!

This article will reveal the benefits of training while having a cold and why you might even get the best workouts of your life! In addition, I'll reveal some strategies for cutting the timeframe of a cold in half. Let's get started.

3 Reasons to Train When Sick

Usually when people catch a cold, they really get into it. They start walking around like death, put their sick clothes on (you know, nasty pajamas, etc.) and sit on the couch all day watching truck driving school commercials and talking to anyone that's willing to listen to their sob story.

To make the experience more memorable, medications are taken by the fistful until the symptoms start declining. The fun usually lasts for a couple of weeks and then you start feeling like your normal self again. While I realize that many people enjoy being sick and derive pleasure from the attention that often comes with it, there

i wouldve said dont train and rest but thanks for that article

The rule that I've always heard was, "If the illness is above the neck you can train, if it is below the neck, don't train." I've heard this so many times I honestly couldn't tell you where it came from. I've always followed it and it seems to work. If the illness is in your chest, running will do you no favors. I'm not a doctor and I don't know your symptoms, so take this for what it's worth.

i remember going to the gym when i was sick.. i had a great workout.. i told one of my buddies that i saw there that im sick and im passing my illness off to anyone that touches my dumbbells lol

knight said:
Read the following article. It's a strength training article however you can apply the same principles to any training you want:

Sick? Go Train!
by Mike Mahler

"I'm sick. Should I train or not?"

That question pops up on forums all the time. The answer? Yes, you should train!

This article will reveal the benefits of training while having a cold and why you might even get the best workouts of your life! In addition, I'll reveal some strategies for cutting the timeframe of a cold in half. Let's get started.

3 Reasons to Train When Sick

Usually when people catch a cold, they really get into it. They start walking around like death, put their sick clothes on (you know, nasty pajamas, etc.) and sit on the couch all day watching truck driving school commercials and talking to anyone that's willing to listen to their sob story.

To make the experience more memorable, medications are taken by the fistful until the symptoms start declining. The fun usually lasts for a couple of weeks and then you start feeling like your normal self again. While I realize that many people enjoy being sick and derive pleasure from the attention that often comes with it, there

i'll go w/ post #2. my dad " back in his day" would drink like 20 pints of water in a day. it total wipes ur system out clean. you'll piss every hour or so. but if ur fighting soon. all that water mite be bad for ur fight.

good luck w/ ur fight

Don't train around others - you'll spread your cold

Also I wouldn't train outside. I had a cold and tried to run through it and ended up with phnemonia.

I would say if its just a cold go for a light run with a hoodie on and wrap yourself up. Nothing hard, just get a good sweat on and go home, get a hot shower, eat and go to bed.
I would especially do just that if you have a fight coming up (and have others around you that aren't ill that will be fighting soon as well). The last week you should be taking it easy anyway to let the muscle glycogen recover to full levels.
2 days before the fight you should take off completely anyway.

Don't train when you are sick. You'll just spread it. If you have a cold wait two or three days until you are past the incubation period. Then you can train with a cold but you won't spread it.

@Savage I gotta ask what prompted you to give this thread an eleven-year resurrection. Is it the groundbreaking new information on the subject that you had to share? Were you imprisoned for a decade right before you could answer, and you vowed to post as soon as you were released? Why?

Back