training outside a gym

lion paw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Out of curiosity,has anybody gotten themselves in shape without going to any sort of gym(ballys,in shape etc) or joining a fitness group(crossfit and the like)?Im thinking about quitting the gym.I rarely go,I have weights at my spot and I want to save more money.I just want to hear stories.

Resistance is resistance. Why does it matter if its lifted at home or in a gym, your muscles wont know the difference.

But its far more convenient to just lift in a gym than to create a home gym for most people. Do you have space for a rack? Can you drop weights at home?

I only use the gym when I miss a day at the boxing gym... so I don't know if that counts. I also lift one day a week but I have no weights. The majority of my fitness is achieved through stuff I do outside of the weight gym. Bodyweight exercises, running/sprinting, shadow boxing, sparring, bag work.

I enjoy meeting people at the gym, they often have different resources to share with you on lifting and fitness... or breasts... or both. If you see yourself never needing the equipment at that gym and still reaching your goals, save the gas and membership money and buy food and protein.

sure you dont need a gym. its just a place with loads of equipment, and if you can do without that great. The problem is finding a way to progress easily.

For me I would rather have a gym than a home weights set. Something about being in the gym environment gives me more motivation

Last edited:
Regardless of what works best in terms of effective training, if you don't use it then you shouldn't pay for it. I need a gym membership, because I live in a bedsit.

Resistance is resistance. Why does it matter if its lifted at home or in a gym, your muscles wont know the difference.

But its far more convenient to just lift in a gym than to create a home gym for most people. Do you have space for a rack? Can you drop weights at home?

I have a bench and free weights in the back.I started using it a few days ago.

Depends. As long as you are on a good routine (read the FAQ if you haven't already) and have the basic equipment barbell, weights, bench and squat rack/stands. You can make good progress, the only problem is the stronger you get the more plates your going to have to buy. And this is where it can get expensive.

Back