Training in Thailand

You did say "famous"....a more accurate term for that list would be "sort of famous" or "kind of famous"....or some people may have heard of them....:icon_twis

And yes...Famous to me would be Gomi or Liddell....

When I say famous I am talking to hardcore or even alot of non hardcore mma fans. You seriously think most mma fans don't know who Mike Swick or Alan Belcher is? What I didn't say is that they were "Mindblowing" But it is impressive considering they all chose that gym to go to.

Anyway i'm excited to be training by the beach, with trainers who have impressive resumes, and fighting for a promoter who has a reputation of looking out for his fighters.

I'll start a thread with some pics and info on the TMT + fight experience when it's all done

When I say famous I am talking to hardcore or even alot of non hardcore mma fans. You seriously think most mma fans don't know who Mike Swick or Alan Belcher is? What I didn't say is that they were "Mindblowing" But it is impressive considering they all chose that gym to go to.

Anyway i'm excited to be training by the beach, with trainers who have impressive resumes, and fighting for a promoter who has a reputation of looking out for his fighters.

I'll start a thread with some pics and info on the TMT + fight experience when it's all done

when are you going? hope to hear a review from you! cheers.

^^ I'm planning on the first or the second week of August. For just under 3 weeks. Going to be a lonnnng bus ride ; /

TL is not a shit hole my brother just spent a month down there and loved it.

LOL at having to be surrounded by westerners

TL is not a shit hole my brother just spent a month down there and loved it.

LOL at having to be surrounded by westerners

is TL tiger muay thai? :icon_neut

whats wrong with having to be surrounded by westerners?

Well I mispoke - I meant the gyms haha. I met Sam Sheridan (Author of Fighter's Heart) and asked him about this and he told me stories of really jacked up and infected feet from foreigners. How about this: You go film yourself training on a bare concrete floored gym for 2 months.

Post that video and I'll apologize :) Until then, I stand by my comment that non-western gyms in Thailand are shitholes compared to us spoiled american gyms That's why I said "the first time we go to thailand it may be advisable to go to a western friendly place"

Look, my gym has ultra comfortable zebra mats you can breakfall w/o even breaking the fall on and I STILL tear up my feet if the callouses aren't built up. But then again I have a lot of boxing footwork so I'm undoubtedly putting more stress on the bare feet with those shuffles and pivots

I am sorry, i tried so hard to not see any offence in that sentence, but just couldnt. there are ALOT of things that Thailand has that is better than America. how about some humbleness?

Thailand has 25 million tourists visiting every year....
Needless to say, it is very tourist friendly...And pretty advanced in comparision to many of the nations in the region (of course no comparison to nations like Singapore, Hong Kong) but definitely better than Vietnam, China and the Philipines...

It is hot and humid...and yes sometimes quite backward...but it is one of the best places to visit on the planet....

you should start a thread with some pics and information on Rompo Gym (that is listed as your location?_, there is tons of info on web on Tiger Muay Thai, and very little on Rompo, or you could just post it in this thread:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f42/anyone-ever-visit-rompo-gym-743855/

is TL tiger muay thai? :icon_neut

whats wrong with having to be surrounded by westerners?

I think TL stands for Thailand....

I think he meant that its funny that in some places in Thailand there are more Westerners (Europeans and North Americans) than Thais....

Koh Phi Phi was like that....
There were hardly any Thais in comparsion to all the Falangs...You wouldn't have known you were in Thailand...

I think TL stands for Thailand....

I think he meant that its funny that in some places in Thailand there are more Westerners (Europeans and North Americans) than Thais....

Koh Phi Phi was like that....
There were hardly any Thais in comparsion to all the Falangs...You wouldn't have known you were in Thailand...

i see. well, yea...only happens in tourist-rich places.

Well I mispoke - I meant the gyms haha. I met Sam Sheridan (Author of Fighter's Heart) and asked him about this and he told me stories of really jacked up and infected feet from foreigners. How about this: You go film yourself training on a bare concrete floored gym for 2 months.

Post that video and I'll apologize :) Until then, I stand by my comment that non-western gyms in Thailand are shitholes compared to us spoiled american gyms That's why I said "the first time we go to thailand it may be advisable to go to a western friendly place"

Look, my gym has ultra comfortable zebra mats you can breakfall w/o even breaking the fall on and I STILL tear up my feet if the callouses aren't built up. But then again I have a lot of boxing footwork so I'm undoubtedly putting more stress on the bare feet with those shuffles and pivots

First year in Thailand....One camp I was at had concrete floors...Rough concrete like a sidewalk....Totally shredded my feet (I pivot when I kick) and it was a mess...Had to Crazy Glue the soles of my feet (its like adding layers of skin)....

As for training BJJ....At Chai Yai Gym we rolled in the ring....Not so bad except for the canvas burns...
And a couple times when we rolling; Chiang Mai suffers from a infestation of bugs...Swarms of insects cover the city (maybe it was bug mating season) and we were covered in bugs as we were rolling (pretty damn gross)....Fortunately, it only happened two or three times....

I hear you there man. I been training here at Rompo now for 3 months and it's probably the dirtiest place i've trained. The trainers and fighters are great though so it's worth it. Dirty rough cement floors and the bags look like they've been laying in a pile of charcoal. I used to have some callused feet and when I came here they tore right off and bled a lot. I guess it's because the main ring we kick pads in has rough carpet floors. So I wore boxing shoes for a while and now i've been wrapping my big toes up in bandage gauze and then taping them up after. Been working pretty good, I even went and bought 10 rolls of boxing tape from lumpinee the other day

Speaking of dirty gyms, I also had a staph infection on my arm a couple months back. I'm pretty sure I got it from this gym... That was a horrible feeling it felt like my arm was being hollowed out and filled with nasty slime shit. Was really painful and I couldnt even move my arm around that well. It was close to my shoulder and was causing pain and swelling in my armpit. Shit was not a nice experience. Even a month after my arm still felt weaker than it used to. I guess because the staph was eating through muscle... I scrub with lots of soap now like a madman right after each practice to prevent that from ever happening again. Rompo might be the dirtiest place i've trained but it's my favorite so far out of Lukbanyai, Fairtex Pattaya, Legacy, or BKFC. It's in the parking lot of my apartment building as well (Rompo Mansion) so it's nice to just walk downstairs and have a proper gym to train in.

I'm going to Chay Yai gym next winter for 2.5 months. Any suggestions on how to prevent infections and things?

Basically I just wanna train as much as possible and not have to sit out and wait for an injury or infection to get better. I'm gonna try and watch where I eat so I don't get sick too.

I'm going to Chay Yai gym next winter for 2.5 months. Any suggestions on how to prevent infections and things?

Basically I just wanna train as much as possible and not have to sit out and wait for an injury or infection to get better. I'm gonna try and watch where I eat so I don't get sick too.

Just keep everything clean....

Shower as soon as possible...
Clean any cuts and such....Wrap them up...

If you see anything like a rash; go to the pharmacy and pick something up (Cortisone cream or anti-biotics).... Don't hope that it goes away; take care of it right away....
Infections tend to explode if not taken care of it because of the tropical climate....

There's a pharmacy in Chiang Mai (the old city) that I recommend....
Run by two sisters...they speak English fluently and they are extremely helpful....Didn't even have to see a doctor because they were quite knowledgeable (especially with falang type ailments and medical problems)...

The Pharmacy is located at Thae Phae Gate...inside the old city....
Its on Ratchadamnoen Road....
You'll see a Black Canyon Coffee House and its only a few buildings away from it...Look for a Pharmacy with a Porcelain Puppy outside of it....

Dun worry, on the branch off road leading to ChaiYai theres a pharmacy and its quite large.

Also, for one of the edge of the ring, outside it, and it is just beside the wall, do NOT step on the floor there. The pple or rather, the trainers there use it as a spitting ground LOL.

By next winter specifically when you mean? This year?

By next winter specifically when you mean? This year?

Dec 15 2008 till March 1st probably. Or till Feb 15, then I'll go on a little trip around the country for 2 weeks.

I haven't told anyone at the gym yet because I doubt I have to book that far in advance. I really hope they get a new BJJ trainer by then though. That would rock.

Back