Training in Thailand

On the same page, anyone here has been to tiger muay thai in Phuket? am thinking of going there for maybe a month or more...would gladly love some information.

cheers.

I haven't, but from my research it seems to be pretty much the most foreigner friendly place. Run by foreigners. They had some rough spots starting out, but seem genuinely dedicated to creating a good balance for people who want hardcore training but also easy accommodation.

I've spoken to the owner, he's a real nice guy - why don't you give them a call and have a chat? (remember thailand is 14 hours ahead of California)

[email protected]
TMT Office: 66-76-367-071
Night Office: 66-76-383-107

Damn bro, 3+ months. What do you do for a living?

But if you can do it, go for it. You cant go wrong with fairtex, great training and instruction, but is a bit pricey.

That is a great idea; I don't mind searching but the resulting bitching about resurrecting old threads wear me out.

Yeah, and these come up pretty often. A couple people have PM'd me. Info I am looking for is regarding pricing, locations, preperation (vaccinations, cheap flights, etc), coaching and training at certain camps, etc. Anything that would distinguish one camp from another would be helpful. Thanks.

without any fights or any hard sparring practice

by hard sparring like do you mean you've never done that? at all??
it may be a shock to you when you get there since they do go quite hard.I don't know how skilled you are but thats just a word or warning

My favorite place would have to be Legacy in Ubon Ratchatani. Ole Laursen runs that gym and is there training everyday. Great intense training. But it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

There's some good places in Bangkok. I didn't really like the training at Fairtex Pattaya actually that was my least favorite gym as far as training goes..But the facilities were real nice and it's pretty cool training right next to Yodsaenklai Neuropol and Attachai

I'm planning on heading down to Tiger Muay Thai in August for a couple weeks for some training and a fight. I've heard good things about them and the owner Will seems like a real nice guy.

I don't think you have to worry about vaccinations and shit. Just hop on a plane and come over here. You can buy all your clothes/toiletries here for dirt cheap. I never got vaccinated and been here for more than 5 years. All i've had is typhoid fever and a nasty staph infection. Fuck it, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger. I hope

I've been Lukbanyai, Fairtex, Bangkok Fight Club, Legacy, and Rompo.

If you want to know any more about those places send me a pm.

My favorite place would have to be Legacy in Ubon Ratchatani. Ole Laursen runs that gym and is there training everyday. Great intense training. But it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

There's some good places in Bangkok. I didn't really like the training at Fairtex Pattaya actually that was my least favorite gym as far as training goes..But the facilities were real nice and it's pretty cool training right next to Yodsaenklai Neuropol and Attachai

I'm planning on heading down to Tiger Muay Thai in August for a couple weeks for some training and a fight. I've heard good things about them and the owner Will seems like a real nice guy.

What was wrong with Fairtex's gym?

It was just too commercialized. I felt like the trainers were holding back. Plus whenever my bro and I would start sparring they would tell us we were going too hard. When we were only going about 60 percent. They didn't have any group sparring sessions once in the month I was there.

The facilities are great though and got to chill with Spencer Fisher who also training there at the time so it was worth it.

I haven't, but from my research it seems to be pretty much the most foreigner friendly place. Run by foreigners. They had some rough spots starting out, but seem genuinely dedicated to creating a good balance for people who want hardcore training but also easy accommodation.

I've spoken to the owner, he's a real nice guy - why don't you give them a call and have a chat? (remember thailand is 14 hours ahead of California)

[email protected]
TMT Office: 66-76-367-071
Night Office: 66-76-383-107

yea, i've contacted him...he seems nice. i hope hes not the money-hungry kinda guy some people have been saying that he is. i enquired about some stuffs/reservations and was told to just pass him my details (flight, date, time etc etc) and it will be booked.

btw, i am not in california :p i am currently in Singapore which i believe is an hour ahead of Phuket (which means much cheaper flights to phuket too :p). and also...i am not "farang" (assuming farang means a person of european descent). i know this sounds silly, but will it matter?

yea, i've contacted him...he seems nice. i hope hes not the money-hungry kinda guy some people have been saying that he is. i enquired about some stuffs/reservations and was told to just pass him my details (flight, date, time etc etc) and it will be booked.

btw, i am not in california :p i am currently in Singapore which i believe is an hour ahead of Phuket (which means much cheaper flights to phuket too :p). and also...i am not "farang" (assuming farang means a person of european descent). i know this sounds silly, but will it matter?

You know I'm Chinese American but in China I was still treated similarly to a foreigner. If you do get treated better because you are asian, good for me :)

But seriously, Thailand has been flooded with white people bringing in lots of money for decades now - you'd think they'd be pretty used to foreigners.

You know I'm Chinese American but in China I was still treated similarly to a foreigner. If you do get treated better because you are asian, good for me :)

But seriously, Thailand has been flooded with white people bringing in lots of money for decades now - you'd think they'd be pretty used to foreigners.

so ultimately...would it make a difference if im not farang? =/

Has anyone actually been to Tiger? I only saw a couple vids and it looked like just a bunch of fat white guys trying to lose weight.
I'm interested because far as I heard it's the only camp that branches out in mma too.
However I think I'd fit in the "hardcore" group and wouldn't want to go all the way to Thailand to train at a Mcdojo.
Anyone can tell me more about it?

Who wrote that piece of shit?

I've never been to Tiger but plan on going next month because i've heard some great things about it.

They have some great trainers with impressive resumes. One of the trainers is an ex ibf world boxing champ.

Mike Swick, Muhsin Corbbrey, Bobby Southworth, Jess Liaundin, and Alex Reid have all been there. Alan Belcher is also going there sometime before September.

I won't be going there for mma or grappling, but there mma program looks great. Ray Elbe runs the mma classes. I believe TMT got more gold medals last SEA grappling games than any other gym.

Excited to go

I heard nothing but bad things about TMT. Mostly from this forum. Just search for it

It was just too commercialized. I felt like the trainers were holding back. Plus whenever my bro and I would start sparring they would tell us we were going too hard. When we were only going about 60 percent. They didn't have any group sparring sessions once in the month I was there.

The facilities are great though and got to chill with Spencer Fisher who also training there at the time so it was worth it.

thanks for the info

I've never been to Tiger but plan on going next month because i've heard some great things about it.

They have some great trainers with impressive resumes. One of the trainers is an ex ibf world boxing champ.

Mike Swick, Muhsin Corbbrey, Bobby Southworth, Jess Liaundin, and Alex Reid have all been there. Alan Belcher is also going there sometime before September.

I won't be going there for mma or grappling, but there mma program looks great. Ray Elbe runs the mma classes. I believe TMT got more gold medals last SEA grappling games than any other gym.

Excited to go

I've been there and it sounds spot on considering she was there right before/after the swtich to begginer, intermediate, and advanced....lol, but they seem to have put more money into the camp, hired more trainers, and attracted more visitors, so there could be a considerable improvement.

On the same page, anyone here has been to tiger muay thai in Phuket? am thinking of going there for maybe a month or more...would gladly love some information.

cheers.

Trained in Thailand....The last five years, I have been there five times and stayed there four or five months at a time....
Trained at Lanna, Chai Yai, Fairtex and Ingram...

Never been to Tiger Muay Thai...but I did talk to a lot of people who did train there....

Apparently, if you've never trained anywhere else in Thailand; you will be happy....but if you have you will be very disappointed...

The gym is essentially a tourist trap....Most of the people are first timers and most of the people there are there for fun....There's a lot of people and very little serious fighters (few falang and I don't think they have any serious Thais)....

Generally, Phuket is regarded as a place for partying...Having fun in the sun, not for Muay Thai....

Excited to go

Many gyms have some great trainers....but that doesn't mean anything if you have to wait in line to get trained by them....

It is especially aggravating when some jerk (or jerks) who hasn't trained ever and barely has done any training that day is waiting in front of you...taking valuable training time....
Even worse if you have to wait to use a bag as well....

Laziness is contagious....A lot people sitting around talking and wondering where they will party that night is fucking distracting....(that's what happened to Lanna as well)

You want a camp where the guys to the left and right of you are training their asses off....Pushes you to do the same....When someone starts fading; you push them to work harder (and they'll do that for you)...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back