Training in Thailand

macardinal

White Belt
Reaction score
hi guys, i have been training in muay thai for a while now, on and off, without any fights or any hard sparring practice but i have decided to take the next step of going over to thailand to train at fairtex bangplee for at least 3 months. i was also thinking about visiting kaewsamrit gym, possiblly lanna muay thai in chiang mai and maybe another gym down in the south (any suggestions as to where??) after fairtex for a few more months. has anyone else done anything similar and can they share their experiences? how much improvement can i expect to see? any advice or stories would be great! ie do you pick the language up quite quickly? the whole cultural experience as well as training? thanks guys.

There is a good thread in this forum you should check out.

Watch this documentary on a US fighter training at Lanna Thai. Very good. It;s like 6 parts.
This will be very interesting to you.

YouTube - Dreamchasers: Muay Thai fighter from US going to Thai Pt 1

That was a few years back (at least five or six years ago)....

The quality of training at Lanna had diminished considerably since then...
It turned into a real tourist trap type of camp....

Kind of a shame...It was the camp I trained at during my first trip to Thailand (it was a great camp back then)...Went back the year after and it was a different camp (literally as well - they moved the camp down the street) and not for the better...

I train in Bang Phli often and i wont go anywear else, you will love it.

My instructors(both the main instructor and his assistant) are going to Fairtex outside Bangkok(is that bangplee?), Sityodtong, kaewsamrit and one other gym I can't recall in a few weeks. They're staying for nearly a month. They went last year and returned leaner and harder and with many new clinch techniques and refinements on their prior Muay Thai education. The main instructor trained with Kru Dan King here in Charlotte for a decade and his assistant has trained in Muay Thai for at least 8 years; prior to that he trained Kyokushin Karate, Judo to advanced student level.

They kept the weight off and have trained as close to the intensity they experienced in Thailand for the entire year passed. They are hyped to see how much better they perform this year as well as eager to see what else they will learn and bring back to pass on to us.

I dunno how much of that enthusiasm has to do with the women of "The Land Of Smiles" but I'm betting it's more than either of them let on.

i was in thailand for a while trainingf at the Tiger Camp on Phuket. Was an awesome experience and the only time in my life i got below 200lbs.

They have an MMA background too so it was perfect. (almost as perfect as some of the girls in Patong) ((probably why i was under 200lbs))

go to MuayThaiLand.com: Muay Thai Boxing Camps in Thailand. Travelling to Thailand to do Muay Thai Boxing in Thailand (Sean from Contender Asia was a member of that forum)

or K1fans forum for Muay Thai training in Thailand

K-1FANS :: View Forum - Thailand & International Gyms, Training camps..

Me myself I'm trying to take a 6 month - 1 year break in my career to just hunker down and train. 8 hours a day 6 days a week with personal attention from a veteran Thai trainer oughta do wonders compared to going to kickboxing class 3-4 nights a week here...

^^^muaythailand.com-full of good stuff about several great camps! Good luck!

For people who have already trained in Thailand, please PM me. I would like to pick your brains to create a "train in thailand" sticky.

Thanks

For people who have already trained in Thailand, please PM me. I would like to pick your brains to create a "train in thailand" sticky.

Thanks

I was trying to post a suggestion for that...stupid "website maintenance".

How opinionated is this sticky permitted to be?

I was trying to post a suggestion for that...stupid "website maintenance".

How opinionated is this sticky permitted to be?

I would like to make it a FAQ of sorts, along with room for personal experiences, opinions and personal reviews of different camps.

Thanks

excdellent idea! it would be great to hear other peoples experiences etc!!!

thanks for all the other responses, great help...... 7 weeks and counting..................

Thanks

That is a great idea; I don't mind searching but the resulting bitching about resurrecting old threads wear me out.

On the same page, anyone here has been to tiger muay thai in Phuket? am thinking of going there for maybe a month or more...would gladly love some information.

cheers.

Back