training doesn't guarantee success

I totally agree that training doesn't guarantee success in a street fight.

That being said, at six months in the gym, at 170 lbs, I rolled and sparred with a couple of big guys, one up around 220 and a guy around 260lbs, and subbed them both. The 260lber was a little fat but young and athletic. Bastard picked me up and body slammed me before I locked him up in a triangle. I was like "WTF?" I guess he hadn't read the gym rules.

Then I cried.

The other guy was just tossing me around until I decided to just take the neck he kept offering me and caught him in a guillotine.

Anyhow, these guys were so strong I couldn't do a lot of things I normally do, but they made a lot of basic mistakes.

Training guarantees nothing, but it definitely improves your chances - these guys would have killed me had I not had some bjj behind me.

ever run across people who think cus they train some, casually or recreationally, that all of a sudden they feel as if they can take any untrained guy in a streetfight or self defense situation.

training as i think of it, provides you w/tools to defend yourself because it doesn't limit you to one avenue when being attacked or being involved in a self defense situation; it doesnt guarantee you a win just gives you an increased chance to do well because you have more options to choose from when acting or reacting to things.

have u ever tried to explained this to anyone; especially people who just have been doing so for a few months, an feel that because i have trained to box, do judo, bjj, kickboxing, muay thai, karate, sambo, wrestling for a few months or for years on and off. THat u are not necessarily gonna beatup or walk through any and everyone you face on the street, the situation is to dynamic for you to think that this skillset guarantees you anything.

I got a friend just like this. Trained for 3 months and now talks about how he can kick everyones ass.

I totally agree that training doesn't guarantee success in a street fight.

That being said, at six months in the gym, at 170 lbs, I rolled and sparred with a couple of big guys, one up around 220 and a guy around 260lbs, and subbed them both. The 260lber was a little fat but young and athletic. Bastard picked me up and body slammed me before I locked him up in a triangle. I was like "WTF?" I guess he hadn't read the gym rules.

Then I cried.

The other guy was just tossing me around until I decided to just take the neck he kept offering me and caught him in a guillotine.

Anyhow, these guys were so strong I couldn't do a lot of things I normally do, but they made a lot of basic mistakes.

Training guarantees nothing, but it definitely improves your chances - these guys would have killed me had I not had some bjj behind me.

Do you think you would be able to do that to them under street conditions? That slam on concrete might have wrecked your shit and how good is your stand up?

I agree, training doesn't prepare you for every possible outcome, however it is nice to have a higher comfort level when it comes to defending oneself.

Back