training doesn't guarantee success

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
ever run across people who think cus they train some, casually or recreationally, that all of a sudden they feel as if they can take any untrained guy in a streetfight or self defense situation.

training as i think of it, provides you w/tools to defend yourself because it doesn't limit you to one avenue when being attacked or being involved in a self defense situation; it doesnt guarantee you a win just gives you an increased chance to do well because you have more options to choose from when acting or reacting to things.

have u ever tried to explained this to anyone; especially people who just have been doing so for a few months, an feel that because i have trained to box, do judo, bjj, kickboxing, muay thai, karate, sambo, wrestling for a few months or for years on and off. THat u are not necessarily gonna beatup or walk through any and everyone you face on the street, the situation is to dynamic for you to think that this skillset guarantees you anything.

Exactly. Although technique is the most important, you aren't gonna beat up a 300 lb man beast if you are a third of his weight and not even a third of how strong he is. Well maybe, but not likely.

not just that, but u have to actually be skilled in a discipline, just training won't be enough for you to win; unless your just that good your ability to stay calm, recover and absorb abuse will come into play.

i know people who box or do bjj or whatever and while they are trained, they aren't all that good; nor are they so familiar w/the discipline that i would guarantee they win.

sure your fav mma fighter, boxer, judoka, etc can tool a guy on the street; he has conditioned himself through training sparring and developed his skills through such things.

most of us don't have that much time, ability or dedication/discipline to become that good in any art; an that isn't taking into account how much your skill will fall off when u try to execute them in a non static environment w/an aggressive opp who isn't playing by any sort of rules.

also as has been shown in numerous mma, which is not streetfighting; but a good example of how when facing a larger or more athletic opp or just a hard hitting tough opp.

sapp v nog- a bjj virtuoso and one of the best mma boxers in the sport, got beat the f*ck up and mauled by an unskilled big strong athletic heavyweight.

royce v kimo- royce was roughed up and worn out by a big strong UNSKILLED, tough guy

noons v bennet-krazy horse while not untrained, is lightyears behind noons in regards to tech/conditioning and exp; but was able to beat him using athletic ability,toughness and power.

now all these guys are pros and have some level of skill; but when u make all things equal the disparity of skill is no more between us (trained guys) and the untrained guys u may fight. I know guys who are as big strong and athletic as sapp or kimo; hell i know guys more athletic explosive tough and hard hitting than bennet.

I don't know many guys w/better standup, ground skills, chins or phys ability than noons, noguiera or gracie.

which means that the majority of us, esp those that don't train intensively, are at a sever disadvantage even w/our training.

But you can still kick ass. I dont care who it is, if you train and the guy your taking on doesnt train, 100% you kick his ass.

i dont underestimate anyone and i don't appreciate anyone who makes an assumption that they can or will walk through anyone they may face.

fights aren't static, an if nothing else u don't know what can or will happen if u get caught early on; you might not have the toughness or heart to carry on if u get caught early.

once again couture/rose fight, the first shot broke her job and damn near killed her; she went limp and barely got concious b4 she faceplanted.

in a fight, a real streetfight or brawl; you don't know when that situation will pop of, someone might be faster than you think, crazier or sneakier and may catch u early.

or in the case of bennet/noons, bennet was getting taken apart; he lands a big shot, that stops most people, it puts krazy horse on one knee right b4 he fires back w/a HUGE right hand that puts noons the trained/ tech/athletic and exp muay thai and boxing fighter DOWN and OUT.

an the crazy ish is i have seen similar ish happen; i had an ex gf, she went at it w/this chick who did kyokushin and boxing. She was literally dismantling my ex; but my ex never went down, cus she was a tough ass chick. The trained girl rocks my ex and makes her a step back; but the fires right back w/a huge overhand right, the trained girl knees buckle and she f*cking face plants.

anything can and will happen, u guaranteeing success shows a lack of respect for any person who may oppose you; an that can get u hurt or killed.

You make good points. We are all one punch kick or slam away from defeat regardless of our training. All things considered IMO training is the second best thing you can do. The first is employing a firearm.

You make good points. We are all one punch kick or slam away from defeat regardless of our training. All things considered IMO training is the second best thing you can do. The first is employing a firearm.

thx for understanding the point i was trying to make

I try to explain to people all of the time that training does not make you invincable but only increases your chance of survival. Not all people understand this. We are all just one punch away from losing at anytime. This does not mean that we can not fight if we lose.

If someone tells me they have never lost a fight then I tell them that either they have not been in enough fights or why don't they hold the world title?

in my experience, it is very common for guys who believe they have trained for a while (about 3 months) to think they are the ultimate bad ass. some are so eager to test out their new "skills" that they rush into competitive fights not listening to their instructors, only to get their asses personally handed to them, crushing their overinflated egos. the stubborn ones keep coming back, and become martial artists eventually.

anyone can claim to be a martial artist these days. a few trial sessions, a few instructional videos, a few action movies, some punching and kicking on a heavy bag, and you can kick the crap out of the next guy on the street. right...

honestly the only guaranteed way not to lose a fight is not to fight..

Training is always better than not training..
Self defense becomes reflexive, and can be used regardless of most physical disadvantages..but nothing is certain..

Note to self: Flying Armbar over concrete, bad idea

it doesn't hurt to train , it can only help the persons chance ,
the answer to this would be that it depends on the person.

Anyone who trains and then goes out trying to start fights on the street will not last long and will never be a "martial artist". I'm not sure where you people are living, but you should never be in situations where you are fighting people in the streets every week. Most random altercations are caused by dumbasses who WATCH something and think they can do it, and in these situations they usually get handled pretty badly. You have a good point, but I feel 90-100% confident in my ability to handle this type of douchebag.

absolutely, on the other hand there are some people who are "prodigies", just gifted in whatever skills it might be whithout formal training.

Nothing is guaranteed in life, this post doesn't really have a real point to it.

the point is some people feel because they train that they are the sh*t or feel as if they are invincible and that just isnt the case; some people in regards to training say, if u do this u will be able to handle yourself in the street and that is not the case.

its just a list/group of options u have in how to handle a prob/etc; but it doesn't guarantee u will be able to resolve it, esp w/out being harmed

eh thats the reality of a fight man. everyone should know this information.

one day some nobody is going to randomly swing and knock Fedor on his ass, and we're all going to be trippin. but hey i wouldnt be surprised.

Back