Trained with a triathlete team today

Nothing wrong with getting in better shape. I confess I have always wanted to try a triathalon myself but lack the discipline to train for it.

Only Boza Edwards on Boxrec was 0-1-0 in `85.

What wieght and orgs was he world champ in?

P.S. Not doubting, just wondering.

NM, just found him, Cornelius Boza Edwards WBC Lightweight and Super Featherwieght champ and European Super Featherweight Champ. Pretty impressive record to boot!

Ima do a triathlon when I get older. It will behard for me because I am pretty muscular and I know must people who do any types or marathons don't really have that much muscle on them

Brand Nizzle said:
Ima do a triathlon when I get older. It will behard for me because I am pretty muscular and I know must people who do any types or marathons don't really have that much muscle on them
Actually a few of the guys on the triathalon team I worked out with are big dudes one is a huge Samoan who easily weighs 230 and plays semi pro football but in the off season he runs sprint triathalons.
I seen on a few of the triathalon calanders that hey have special races called the Clydesdale class for competitors over 200 lbs.
I dont think having alot of muscle will hinder you that much if you really get into good shape I am 180-190 pounds by the way .

Brand Nizzle said:

unless you are a competitive powerlifter, i'd done a few of them to see if you like it. you might like it enough to concentrate on them for awhile...

they are really damn fun...

and i've known some big ass dudes that do them...

Good stuff. I bet the reason you did so well (able to keep up to the best guy) was because of your boxing/fighting training! It is way better than running and biking for fitness I think.

I remember once, when I was younger (14, I'm 19 now) I had been training muay thai for about 1 year and my mom invited me to run a 5 km (about 3 miles) race with her. I entered the race and ran it in 21 minutes and placed 4th overall and 1st in my class. I had never ran more than 1500m before in my life either. Just proves how effective fight training is.

Thanks for the info everyone. Imagine the extra confidence in my cardiovascular I'd have walking into a ring knowing that I have a few triathlons under my belt haha

Brand Nizzle said:
Thanks for the info everyone. Imagine the extra confidence in my cardiovascular I'd have walking into a ring knowing that I have a few triathlons under my belt haha
Thats the thing if you have pushed yourself to the limit in an endurance race you will know inside your mind that you can flurry in the last 30 seconds of a knockdown drag out war, perform that last slam or try for one last submission. That is why i thin doing a triathalon is good for combat athletes because when you accomplish something that pushes your cardio to the very edge gives you a mental edge in the ring or the cage. I cant tell you how many guys i have seen be in good shape good enough shape to do more int he ring that they do but not have the mental strength and clarity to know that hey fuck it I can run a fucking triathalon why cant i throw 150 punches this round. I also cant tell you how many guys that get beat in their first step up from 4 rounders to 6 rounders because they were unsure of their gass after 4.
The mental edge world class cardio gives you is a big one. I am not the most skilled guy in the gym but i know that i can hang with anyone for 12 rounds because i am in shape. I also know that I can throw 100 punches a round for 12 rounds if need be and i also know that even if the guy is better than me I always have a chance of outworking him just because I am a cardio machine.

Brand Nizzle said:

you wouldn't...

it's nothing alike...

steady state does not equal mma...

period...

Yea, it definitely isnt a great MMA conditioning tool.

Polynikes said:
you wouldn't...

it's nothing alike...

steady state does not equal mma...

period...
I disagree with you.
If you build up the lung capacity to do and complete a triathalon you will have the Cardio base to push yourself further in a combat sport. You willalso be able to think clearly even while under durress something you should of picked up by being in the military where they run the shit out of you and push your cardio limits to the edge. the reason i say this is that running distance, swimming distanc eand biking distance it hard, you want to quit sometimes you get tired but you continualy push yourself to finish a completed goal. Also building your cardio up like this will help you to be able to endure longer more intense training sessions.
If a combat athlete is only getting his conditioning from sport speciffic exercises he limits himself to only the situations he conditioned for. A good example is if a guy is boxing me who has only sparred with a big puncher who throws a limited number of punches per round he is going to get conditioned to a certain pace of fight but the pace that i will set of 100 punches a round is going to be totally different than what he is conditioned to. However if he has the cardio base where he can flurry in any time and can move around the rinf the entire round if he has to he has a better chance to not get out worked. The same thing applies to Grappling. MMA, ect. if you only train your cardio to be explosive you are not going to be able to hang with a guy who is more slow and steady because you have limited yourself to being explosive. An example of this is if you face a good defensive wrestler who has a good sprawl. Sure you will be able to keep pushing him around while he is on your back but what happens when you tire from being explosive? You are not going to have that cardio base that lets you recover over time to continue being explosive.
This theory is also proven when you watch alot of the UFC fighters they explode out of the gate then tire after a few minutes a good example is Phil Baroni he is in good shape to be explosive but if the initial explosion doesnt kill you he is done and wll end up getting tapped or Kayoed. A good example of someone who had both is the Early Ken Shamrock or Frank Shamrock they could be explosive or they could be patient and wait out the storm then explode or slowly work you into a bad situation.

Ted-P said:
Yea, it definitely isnt a great MMA conditioning tool.
Please back this up from experience or from research.
Please post your workout routine how many fights you have had and aything else that proves your theory. Otherwise you are just posting nonsense

Boomstick said:
Please back this up from experience or from research.
Please post your workout routine how many fights you have had and aything else that proves your theory. Otherwise you are just posting nonsense
I have no fighting experience. But I play football, basketball, and tennis in my school and while aerobic conditioing is a good tool it's not that great alone. It doesn't help me significantly with my conditioning alone especially with football and tennis. When my coaches added in Guerilla Cardio into it, I personally was able to perform better. The sports involve around bursts of play and it doesn't involve jogging slowly around the field or court. I started grow more tolerance for intense periods of play time and being able to finish my plays better.

But all I have to say is stop being so fucking inflexible. You call those who promote anaerobic endurance for MMA bullshitters? But why does so many people promote it? Unlike boxing where you can for like 15 rounds, MMA at most is 3 rounds with 10 minutes each around. I don't know if you noticed, but you probably have high intensity conditioning that you are not mentioning or don't know in your routines. Do you have sessions where you punch intense fashions for a short period of time or do you just "jog" out your punches.

And studies are there and it's not hard to find so I find it yourself. I aint denouncing aerobic conditioning but I dont swear by it.

i never have said aerobic conditioning is all an a combat athlete should do. i also clearly state that i do mix interval running into my running. I also clearly state that where I get my sport speciffic conditioning is in the ring and during my gym work sessions but distance running is my base to build up my anerobic performance.
ALso i never said to slowly jog when you run distance i run at a high rat eof speed the first mile is usually done at a 6 minute pace the second at an 8 the third at a 8 the forth at a 6 and so on.
I am unflexible because unlike 99% of the guys who post advice I actaully practice what i speak and train on a world class level. I am not a some highschool kid offering advice I read out of a book or heard on the internet I am a professional fighter who has a world class trainer and whose sole income comes from fighting.
ALot of people promote alot of things does that make them right? Also if you look and see how some of the guys who are only doing anerobic cardio do in the ring or cage you see alot them gas after a few minutes. While boxing and MMA are different most MMA fighters gas from standup which closely correlates to boxing. I have seen very few boxers gas after a 2 minutes of punching but I have seen alot of MMA fighters gas from one or two exchanges of half assed arm punches.
As far as experience in other sports besides boxing I wrestled in highschool, played football, ran crosscountry, track, and even rodeod. Guess what the base to my cardio was back then and is now-distance running with sport speciffic conditioning.

Ted-P said:
I have no fighting experience. But I play football, basketball, and tennis in my school and while aerobic conditioing is a good tool it's not that great alone. It doesn't help me significantly with my conditioning alone especially with football and tennis. When my coaches added in Guerilla Cardio into it, I personally was able to perform better. The sports involve around bursts of play and it doesn't involve jogging slowly around the field or court. I started grow more tolerance for intense periods of play time and being able to finish my plays better.

But all I have to say is stop being so fucking inflexible. You call those who promote anaerobic endurance for MMA bullshitters? But why does so many people promote it? Unlike boxing where you can for like 15 rounds, MMA at most is 3 rounds with 10 minutes each around. I don't know if you noticed, but you probably have high intensity conditioning that you are not mentioning or don't know in your routines. Do you have sessions where you punch intense fashions for a short period of time or do you just "jog" out your punches.

And studies are there and it's not hard to find so I find it yourself. I aint denouncing aerobic conditioning but I dont swear by it.

Boomstick said:
i never have said aerobic conditioning is all an a combat athlete should do. i also clearly state that i do mix interval running into my running. I also clearly state that where I get my sport speciffic conditioning is in the ring and during my gym work sessions but distance running is my base to build up my anerobic performance.
ALso i never said to slowly jog when you run distance i run at a high rat eof speed the first mile is usually done at a 6 minute pace the second at an 8 the third at a 8 the forth at a 6 and so on.
I am unflexible because unlike 99% of the guys who post advice I actaully practice what i speak and train on a world class level. I am not a some highschool kid offering advice I read out of a book or heard on the internet I am a professional fighter who has a world class trainer and whose sole income comes from fighting.
ALot of people promote alot of things does that make them right? Also if you look and see how some of the guys who are only doing anerobic cardio do in the ring or cage you see alot them gas after a few minutes. While boxing and MMA are different most MMA fighters gas from standup which closely correlates to boxing. I have seen very few boxers gas after a 2 minutes of punching but I have seen alot of MMA fighters gas from one or two exchanges of half assed arm punches.
As far as experience in other sports besides boxing I wrestled in highschool, played football, ran crosscountry, track, and even rodeod. Guess what the base to my cardio was back then and is now-distance running with sport speciffic conditioning.

Yea I'm a fucking high-school student who isn't that well depthed in sports science, but I have experience and I'm not in professionals, because I aint old enough and talented enough unlike you and the others. Not only that I have pretty good coaches who actually study hard and are very well versed in sports science and study from guys who are world class trainers. But since aside from that, I dont get why we are arguing cause we don't differ much on the stance.

Second It was a mistake on my part.I usually associate aerobic with jogging for some reason. That's pretty intense stuff. I know several cross country guys who joined football and gassed out really bad.

Third about MMA fighting, alot of them dont have word class training purely focusing punching like boxers and not only that train in several aspects of fighting not just boxing so its not fair. Not only that why are you mentioning that? Do you know if they train based around HIT or something?

Boomstick said:
I disagree with you.
If you build up the lung capacity to do and complete a triathalon you will have the Cardio base to push yourself further in a combat sport. You willalso be able to think clearly even while under durress something you should of picked up by being in the military where they run the shit out of you and push your cardio limits to the edge. the reason i say this is that running distance, swimming distanc eand biking distance it hard, you want to quit sometimes you get tired but you continualy push yourself to finish a completed goal. Also building your cardio up like this will help you to be able to endure longer more intense training sessions.
If a combat athlete is only getting his conditioning from sport speciffic exercises he limits himself to only the situations he conditioned for. A good example is if a guy is boxing me who has only sparred with a big puncher who throws a limited number of punches per round he is going to get conditioned to a certain pace of fight but the pace that i will set of 100 punches a round is going to be totally different than what he is conditioned to. However if he has the cardio base where he can flurry in any time and can move around the rinf the entire round if he has to he has a better chance to not get out worked. The same thing applies to Grappling. MMA, ect. if you only train your cardio to be explosive you are not going to be able to hang with a guy who is more slow and steady because you have limited yourself to being explosive. An example of this is if you face a good defensive wrestler who has a good sprawl. Sure you will be able to keep pushing him around while he is on your back but what happens when you tire from being explosive? You are not going to have that cardio base that lets you recover over time to continue being explosive.
This theory is also proven when you watch alot of the UFC fighters they explode out of the gate then tire after a few minutes a good example is Phil Baroni he is in good shape to be explosive but if the initial explosion doesnt kill you he is done and wll end up getting tapped or Kayoed. A good example of someone who had both is the Early Ken Shamrock or Frank Shamrock they could be explosive or they could be patient and wait out the storm then explode or slowly work you into a bad situation.

an aerobic base is very important. in fact, you can't do anything in the fight world without an aerobic base. but to put so much emphasis on aerobics and not anaerobics isn't very smart in my own personal experience. then again, everyone is different, but everyone's basic physiology isn't...

ted-p, mma is 3x5 min for the ufc, and 10, 5, and 5 for pride...

3x10 isn't correct...

i'll agree with you about this though: i've done some 100+ milers, tri's, bi's, all that shit. i have been pushed for so long at a time, it isn't funny. when the tough times come, i can tell myself that i am fucking hard, i won't give up, and i've been pushed harder than what i am being pushed now. but, with those races under my belt, my fight cardio is no better than anyone else. whether or not that person has been pushed nearly to death is irrelevant at that point, unless they are inherently weak, and will quit once it gets hard. i won't quit, so at best, i have an edge b/c i know that i won't quit...

when i first started grappling and kickboxing, i was actually in mid race season for triathlon. i was running low 16 minute 5k's, could keep up about 25 mph for about 40 miles on the bike as an avg, and i was swimming 50 second flat 50's in the pool for repetition. i would never go slower than 52, and could hit high 40's most of the time. so, i was smoking the triathlons and adventure races...

at that cardio level, i gassed out grappling in less than 5 minutes. i could always continue, but i wasn't worth a shit. my grips were blown, i was very lethargic, i couldn't attack at all, i was a dead fish...

so, i started competing in tournaments, and decided to do nothing but kickboxing and grappling for a while, just b/c i didn't want to waste any energy running that could be spent going towards my technical training on the mat. of course, just from training, my fight cardio got better. i then added some easy road work, and my cardio got even better. so then, i decided to start pushing for tri's and tournaments concurrently, and my cardio went to shit. not quite back to dead fish, but it was worse...

now, i'm all for occasional thrash sessions that last for hours of nothing but cardio, but i am for it as being a mental toughness tool. in that aspect, it's great. yes, you can tell yourself that you will never give up b/c you've been pushed before, but you will get just as tired...

that's just my experience man. i'm no pro, so i'm just relaying my experience. you might respond differently to the same stressors as me, but that's what happened to me...

one more thing, when grappling, if i was in the midst of a lot of running, i got weaker. i couldn't complete takedowns as forcefully, i couldn't get guys off me as easy, shit like that...

Polynikes said:
an aerobic base is very important. in fact, you can't do anything in the fight world without an aerobic base. but to put so much emphasis on aerobics and not anaerobics isn't very smart in my own personal experience. then again, everyone is different, but everyone's basic physiology isn't...

ted-p, mma is 3x5 min for the ufc, and 10, 5, and 5 for pride...

3x10 isn't correct...

i'll agree with you about this though: i've done some 100+ milers, tri's, bi's, all that shit. i have been pushed for so long at a time, it isn't funny. when the tough times come, i can tell myself that i am fucking hard, i won't give up, and i've been pushed harder than what i am being pushed now. but, with those races under my belt, my fight cardio is no better than anyone else. whether or not that person has been pushed nearly to death is irrelevant at that point, unless they are inherently weak, and will quit once it gets hard. i won't quit, so at best, i have an edge b/c i know that i won't quit...

when i first started grappling and kickboxing, i was actually in mid race season for triathlon. i was running low 16 minute 5k's, could keep up about 25 mph for about 40 miles on the bike as an avg, and i was swimming 50 second flat 50's in the pool for repetition. i would never go slower than 52, and could hit high 40's most of the time. so, i was smoking the triathlons and adventure races...

at that cardio level, i gassed out grappling in less than 5 minutes. i could always continue, but i wasn't worth a shit. my grips were blown, i was very lethargic, i couldn't attack at all, i was a dead fish...

so, i started competing in tournaments, and decided to do nothing but kickboxing and grappling for a while, just b/c i didn't want to waste any energy running that could be spent going towards my technical training on the mat. of course, just from training, my fight cardio got better. i then added some easy road work, and my cardio got even better. so then, i decided to start pushing for tri's and tournaments concurrently, and my cardio went to shit. not quite back to dead fish, but it was worse...

now, i'm all for occasional thrash sessions that last for hours of nothing but cardio, but i am for it as being a mental toughness tool. in that aspect, it's great. yes, you can tell yourself that you will never give up b/c you've been pushed before, but you will get just as tired...

that's just my experience man. i'm no pro, so i'm just relaying my experience. you might respond differently to the same stressors as me, but that's what happened to me...

one more thing, when grappling, if i was in the midst of a lot of running, i got weaker. i couldn't complete takedowns as forcefully, i couldn't get guys off me as easy, shit like that...
great post. You need a good base of aerobics, but after that it really didnt improve me much until we incorporated HIT.

See I can dig what you are saying Poly because you actually back it up with experience and knowledge I may not agree but at least i can respect your opinion.
I am going to give the triathalons a try and see how it effects my boxing and i will definatly post on it. I guess where my experience is dfferent than yours is I have always used distance running as my base and then incorporated combat sport speciffic training into that to form a two story house if that makes sense.
I can see how this is working on other people than just me through the amatures I am coaching they have the cardio base and now they have the boxing conditioning.

I guess i should also add in that I incorporate intervals into my running to simulate a boxing round like I will sometimes sprint the whole 3 minutes rest 1 min then jog one min then sprint 2 min then jog 1 min then up the pace 2.5 min then sprint the last 30 sec. Just like i would in a fight.
For the MMa athletes you could do something similar and it would be beneficial imo.

Back