• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Toyota, Mazda to build $1.6 billion plant in Alabama

Those are some rosy projections for 1 plant - the entire company was only forecast to make 13b off of 235b in sales this year.

But generally speaking; I want Toyota to make a fortune. If they are making money then the economy is good.
I'm familiar with the concept of overhead.

I have no problem with Toyota I've been an investor in the past. Acting like this is a huge boon to the average citizen is hilarious at best and dishonest at worst. Let's just call it what it is. It's a good move for Toyota and a few people will eat off of it.

I'm familiar with the concept of overhead.

I have no problem with Toyota I've been an investor in the past. Acting like this is a huge boon to the average citizen is hilarious at best and dishonest at worst. Let's just call it what it is. It's a good move for Toyota and a few people will eat off of it.

I get it, but I disagree to a point. No, it's not going to save a city or anything like that, but one only has to look at the coal towns of WV to see how 1 industry effects positive/negative growth in other areas.

The suppliers add a few jobs (and hopefully equipment). The company making that equipment hire a few. The local retail store is selling more goods so they hire a couple. All these people need to eat lunch so a new restaurant or 2 pops up and hires a few.

It's all a big cycle.

What great news for Alabama. Wages will also see a huge rise in the area. The black vote in the south will swing republican.

I get it, but I disagree to a point. No, it's not going to save a city or anything like that, but one only has to look at the coal towns of WV to see how 1 industry effects positive/negative growth in other areas.

The suppliers add a few jobs (and hopefully equipment). The company making that equipment hire a few. The local retail store is selling more goods so they hire a couple. All these people need to eat lunch so a new restaurant or 2 pops up and hires a few.

It's all a big cycle.
Retail is taking a bath right now and I think the threads about fast food moving to automation were all in here. I wonder how many guys on the board own stock in Mickey Ds? I get business begetting business to some degree but these are larger scale trends. They're doing what's right for them and their bottom line, not you or I.

Retail is taking a bath right now and I think the threads about fast food moving to automation were all in here. I wonder how many guys on the board own stock in Mickey Ds? I get business begetting business to some degree but these are larger scale trends. They're doing what's right for them and their bottom line, not you or I.

That I agree with. We've automated a lot of things as well - though that hasn't cut jobs yet.

Thanks Obama!
Your bail out of the auto industry (which did not add one single penny to the debt) and saving the economy in the last 9 years, has given Toyota the confidence to build another plant here in the US. Lets see how the next 4 years trend before we give any praise to the joke who holds office now.

What's with all the Trump supporters being so concerned about butts and butt pain?
Also, do you all really believe a billion dollar decision was made in 12 months?
The trend has been driving for at least 3.5 years, way way before the escalator announcement ffs.

But I thought US manufacturing was dead?

But I thought US manufacturing was dead?

Only if you don't pay attention to the sector. Manufacturing labor has taken it on the chin. But manufacturing itself is fine and the sector's output has seen mild growth over the last couple of years.

But most people are unaware of that because the employment of low skilled people in high paying manufacturing jobs has been declining at the same time, obscuring the growth

And it's why this conversation is often wasted. The increase in U.S. manufacturing output is not changing the basic narrative about manufacturing labor - which is that unskilled labor is not going to see an increase in desirability or compensation.

Only if you don't pay attention to the sector. Manufacturing labor has taken it on the chin. But manufacturing itself is fine and the sector's output has seen mild growth over the last couple of years.

But most people are unaware of that because the employment of low skilled people in high paying manufacturing jobs has been declining at the same time, obscuring the growth

And it's why this conversation is often wasted. The increase in U.S. manufacturing output is not changing the basic narrative about manufacturing labor - which is that unskilled labor is not going to see an increase in desirability or compensation.
Sorry I'll turn up the sarcasm next time.

Back