• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Toyota, Mazda to build $1.6 billion plant in Alabama

That was my point all along it is not a great thing for the US and you only need to SKIM Opie's SUMMARY and have an 8th grade education to be capable of surmising that. It's great for Toyota, its shareholders, and whatever percentage of the "up to 4,000" people really enjoy their tenure there. They're publicly traded multi-national corporations that started in Japan. Do some basic Mathematics. The plant costs 1.6 Billion. They make 300k cars a year. At an average of 14k per vehicle(not MSRP or Dealer invoice) they could only sell half their inventory for the year, pay every employee at that plant(even the custodial staff) at least 100k, furnish tooling, and significant R&D and still be in the black in one year. If they sell everything, that is about 50 Billion USD in revenue from that plant alone within 10 years. How much of that will the average US citizen see? Don't worry, I'll wait. Who will have to bail them out if they're in danger of going under? Oh. Who will have to pay way less taxes than the average citizen on that revenue? Oh.

It's inevitable that A.I. and automation will replace most if not all human labor. This is a rather self-evident concept in this age. 4,000 employees isn't a lot.

Jobs bro... you're talking about something unrelated. Honestly automation should have it's own thread. You should spearhead thst idea if it's so on your mind

Jobs bro... you're talking about something unrelated. Honestly automation should have it's own thread. You should spearhead thst idea if it's so on your mind
What's unrelated? The fact that a good percentage of these up to 4,000 jobs can and likely will disappear sooner rather than later or the fact that Joe Six Pack who voted for Mr. Trump likely won't see a penny of the mammoth revenues earned from this plant? I wonder if he has any investments in Toyota. Anyone know?

People that write shit like this usually have no idea how engineering or manufacturing works at all.

By your logic this gives people 20 YEARS to get their act together and collect some money for their children. That's plenty of time for them.. Then they can lose their job and move onto something else.

Having watched people who worked 20 years at my plant, that is absolutely not true. Planning isnt very common for blue collar types.

This is good but it's not Trump. Anyone who's been paying attention to the manufacturing issue for more than a few weeks already knows that manufacturing has been moving back to the U.S. for years.

The important issue is that the move is prompted by the increased cost effectiveness of automation vs. the cost of shipping. Basically, because we can now run plants with fewer humans, the cost of manufacturing overseas and then shipping back to the U.S. has lost some of it's comparative advantage. Nowadays companies want to hold less physical stock and time to consumer starts getting factored in, so proximity starts to matter more.

It didn't start with Trump, it's an ongoing trend. Sometimes, these posts just underscore how uninformed many people are about the economy in which they operate.

Thats awesome, its mostly for electric vehicles and battery production.

At the same time, the Detroit Big Three auto makers have been dialing back production at some North American plants this year and, in some cases cutting shifts or entire product lines.

Ford Motor Co. said this week it would temporarily suspend production at three U.S. factories and two Mexican plants. General Motors Co. has cut shifts at certain plants in the U.S., and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV has exited production of all but a handful of sedans and will shut down a Canadian plant making its flagship minivan for five weeks this fall.

Japanese automakers have been investing more in US plants for a long time compared to the Big Three. But you'll still have "FORGET THAT RICE BURNER IMPORT BUY 'MERICAN" parroted from every redneck. While driving their truck that was assembled in Mexico.

This is good but it's not Trump. Anyone who's been paying attention to the manufacturing issue for more than a few weeks already knows that manufacturing has been moving back to the U.S. for years.

The important issue is that the move is prompted by the increased cost effectiveness of automation vs. the cost of shipping. Basically, because we can now run plants with fewer humans, the cost of manufacturing overseas and then shipping back to the U.S. has lost some of it's comparative advantage. Nowadays companies want to hold less physical stock and time to consumer starts getting factored in, so proximity starts to matter more.

It didn't start with Trump, it's an ongoing trend. Sometimes, these posts just underscore how uninformed many people are about the economy in which they operate.

How about SoftBank? US Steel? Among many others who directly tied their investment to the election of Trump.

Again, I can list as many of these as needed.

How about SoftBank? US Steel? Among many others who directly tied their investment to the election of Trump.

Again, I can list as many of these as needed.

And most of them have important details that have nothing to do with this administration when you get past the media commentary.

And most of them have important details that have nothing to do with this administration when you get past the media commentary.

So again, no specifics, just generalizations.

Why don’t you comment specifically about the projects which I listed which are directly contrary to your statement. Again, I can post many more, those were just the first two.

So again, no specifics, just generalizations.

Why don’t you comment specifically about the projects which I listed which are directly contrary to your statement. Again, I can post many more, those were just the first two.

No need for specifics here, they all had separate threads already - you can just necro those threads.

At this point, you're just cannibalizing your own thread because you don't have any actual response to what I said regarding manufacturing trends in the U.S.

No need for specifics here, they all had separate threads already - you can just necro those threads.

At this point, you're just cannibalizing your own thread because you don't have any actual response to what I said regarding manufacturing trends in the U.S.

Wtf planet are you on. I just gave specific examples which companies investing in America have tied it directly to Trump.

When asked to comment, you refuse and instead claim I’m the one with no response???

It’s just amazing how everything started working once Obama left office. That’s a hell of a coincidence.

Wtf planet are you on. I just gave specific examples which companies investing in America have tied it directly to Trump.

When asked to comment, you refuse and instead claim I’m the one with no response???

It’s just amazing how everything started working once Obama left office. That’s a hell of a coincidence.

What I said is that all of those examples, from Softbank to US Steel and beyond all have separate threads already. I commented in those threads. Why would I repeat myself in a thread about Toyota?

I actually explained how all of this has been in effect prior to Trump. I didn't give any credit to Obama either, it's got nothing to do with either of them. But you have to be living under a rock to think that there were no foreign companies investing in the U.S. during Obama's time in office, (15.8 millions jobs created since 2010 under Obama) regardless of if you credit him personally for it.

Is wealth finally starting to trickle down?

What I said is that all of those examples, from Softbank to US Steel and beyond all have separate threads already. I commented in those threads. Why would I repeat myself in a thread about Toyota?

I actually explained how all of this has been in effect prior to Trump. I didn't give any credit to Obama either, it's got nothing to do with either of them. But you have to be living under a rock to think that there were no foreign companies investing in the U.S. during Obama's time in office, (15.8 millions jobs created since 2010 under Obama) regardless of if you credit him personally for it.

Typical dishonest argument. You’re trying to paint me as someone saying no companies invested under obama.

There are companies investing in America specifically because of Trump and his policies. Period.

All of them? Of course not.

Enough to make a difference? Absolutely

Is wealth finally starting to trickle down?

Been with my company since 2000. Two terms of Bush didn't do it. Two terms of Obama didn't do it. But we all just got a random .50 cent per hour raise outside of our annual pay raises, so yes.

Typical dishonest argument. You’re trying to paint me as someone saying no companies invested under obama.

There are companies investing in America specifically because of Trump and his policies. Period.

All of them? Of course not.

Enough to make a difference? Absolutely

I'm not trying to paint you as anything except uninformed about the economy. I'm pointing out the problem with claiming that a President is personally responsible for a company's decision on if/when to invest in the U.S.

In the case of Toyota and Mazda, the reality is that auto manufacturing has been coming back to the U.S. for years because of the reasons I already stated. Assigning credit to Trump or Obama or Bush, Jr., for a specific investment just illustrates that you haven't been paying attention to this subject until recently.

Been with my company since 2000. Two terms of Bush didn't do it. Two terms of Obama didn't do it. But we all just got a random .50 cent per hour raise outside of our annual pay raises, so yes.

Due to tax cuts for the rich or tight labor markets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back