Top ten boxing gloves review

Sashalex

White Belt
Reaction score
0TMBc.gif

I will be reviewing the 16 ounce top ten red boxing gloves. A little back story, I had two pairs of rival boxing gloves. One i used only for hitting the bags and the other I used only for sparring with the logic that the sparring gloves will stay in tact longer and thus be easier on sparring partners.

When my rival bag gloves imploded from a year of bag work, i opted to use my rival sparring gloves as my bag gloves and buy a new pair of sparring gloves.

My choice to go with top ten was largely influenced by the fact that the only top ten store in canada is located in my city (Ottawa, ON). So i just went to the store and picked them up as opposed to ordering online which I assume most people do to buy top ten products.

Now, the point of my review is to expose the manufacturing quality of top ten boxing gloves after 6 months of light use as exclusively sparring gloves. Therefore this will not be a "brand new" review.

What I can tell you about the gloves is that they have nice big finger compartments and feel great on your hand. The foam is mostly concentrated at the front of the glove which makes you hit with your fingers rather than the knuckles but overall I was happy with my purchase. At first glance the gloves APPEAR to be well made.

However after 6 months of SPARRING use (no bagwork whatsoever). They began to deteriorate on me with this as the final result:

Ua6s6.jpg

0VW47.jpg

KiA5c.jpg

Now for comparison, I will post the images of my current rival bag gloves which were my former sparring gloves. Keep in mind...these gloves were used for sparring for 1 year and 6 months of bag work.

UmfMQ.jpg

As you can see...the rival gloves which have sustained 1 year of 3x a week sparring and 6 months of 3x a week bag work are essentially BRAND SPANKING NEW.

Its also important to note that both these gloves were stored in the EXACT same way for their respective life times. Both pairs of gloves had designated "glove socks" when not in use and the gym bag which i kept them in was always open for ventilation.

Now, heres the good part. As anyone can see...my top ten sparring gloves are unusable, and taking into account the information I have mentioned above, and the vastly superior quality of the rivals, I believed an exchange for a faulty 150$ product was in due order. As a side note, my main sparring partner and friend with the exact same gloves has the exact same ripping in the exactly same place on his jabbing hand (i will post pictures of his tomorrow).

So I go to the top ten store with my faulty top ten gloves and my rivals for comparison. By chance the store owner was there so I was happy that this would be sorted out quickly. I asked him to take a look at these gloves...first thing he did was laugh and say that I wasn't taking care of my gloves properly. He then proceeded to explain to me that top ten products MUST NOT BE PUT IN A BAG.

Let me repeat that...top ten gloves CANNOT BE PUT IN A GYM BAG. He then told me that the moisture in my gym bag is what caused the leather to weaken and then rip, and that top ten guarantees the foam but not leather. I then explained to him that the top ten gloves were handled in the EXACT same way as the rivals which I had in the car for comparison. I asked him if he wanted to see the rivals, he said "no thanks...ill take your word for it." No refund, no exchange, no quality, no respect.

So in conclusion would I recommend top ten products? No. Not only are they poorly made, but on top of that they won't take responsibility for their crap products.

***UPDATE***

I sent the owner an email asking him to reconsider an exchange. This is a quote from the email he wrote me back:

"Hi Alex we denied your request because the gloves were soaking wet suggesting you may be leaving your gloves in your bag"

Luckily, since then I have solved the mystery as to why my rivals are not soaking wet despite being also being kept in the bag. Here are some quotes from my subsequent email reply:

" You are mistaken in your analysis of my gloves. See, the rip occurred about a month ago, and it was only recently that i found the time to visit your store. In that time, yes, these gloves were used for regular training. Keep in mind that there is now a hole the size of a golf ball in the glove thus leaving the glove susceptible to picking up moisture. Clothing was NEVER kept in the bag with any of my gloves. So how did my gloves get "soaking wet" as you say? Punching sweaty dudes and clinching up with them. (i.e regular use)

Once moisture gets inside there is no way its getting outta there. So quite simply, the glove i bought from your store became wet because it ripped rather than rip because it was wet. This is why my Rival gloves are still in perfect condition (and not soaking wet) despite sustaining far worse "abuse" as you call it.

Now I'm going to go a step further and point out a design flaw in your gloves which causes this to happen as it did to myself and a few others i know. You can thank me for this later. Your Bayfill glove mold is designed in such a way that the boxer using them needs to constantly clench his fist in order for it to stay closed. This is because the mold actually prevents keeping a closed fist in resting position. Obviously the boxer is in danger of breaking his hand in the event that he does not keep his fist clenched.
So what you have is a constant internal stress within the glove which in the engineering world is a giant no-no. The internal stress is emphasized in the finger compartment due to the forces of the glove pulling your fist apart, and the forces provided by the muscles of your fingers tensing to keep the fist together. "

So basically, the glove became filled with moisture from INSIDE OUT due to training with a tear in the glove. This explains the discoloration in the leather that another user noticed and also explains water damage in the foam that another user noticed. In light of this new discovery, the fact that the gloves are soaking wet is effectively irrelevant in determining wether or not I should get a new pair of gloves. The fact remains that the rip did happen due to poor design, and should be replaced! Awaiting a reply from the owner.

Quite frankly im sick of having to do this. Ive never in my LIFE had poorer customer service. He treats his customers like criminals and keeps coming up with excuses to save a couple bucks. Moral of the story: Do not buy from top ten canada.

***UPDATE***

Some people were questioning the integrity of my review saying that it was hard to believe these gloves were used for 6 months.

Here is a photo of my T-shirt after sparring with a guy who has had these gloves for 3 months. I mentioned before that the paint comes off like nothing and leaves the leather with its natural color. (the discoloration that other users were noticing).

ql6eG.jpg

So basically i got nowhere with top ten canada, so ive contacted the manufacturer in germany. Awaiting their reply. Will keep you posted!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.Sucks about the gloves though,esp at those prices.

0TMBc.gif

Let me repeat that...top ten gloves CANNOT BE PUT IN A GYM BAG. He then told me that the moisture in my gym bag is what caused the leather to weaken and then rip, and that top ten guarantees the foam but not leather. I then explained to him that the top ten gloves were handled in the EXACT same way as the rivals which I had in the car for comparison. I asked him if he wanted to see the rivals, he said "no thanks...ill take your word for it." No refund, no exchange, no quality, no respect.

Go tell him that Cleto Reyes are the same price and I've seen some last for more than five years. Heck, my $70 Top King Airs has been through one a hundred and fifty hours of hell and there's barely a mark.

Thanks for taking the time to inform us though...unfortunately, there seem to be some companies out there that don't treat their customers like they should!

That's weird, a friend of mine uses his 16oz Top Tens for everything and has had them for 3 years and they're still going strong. Top Tens are really popular around here and seem to last well. Another friend who doesn't take that good care of his gloves has had his Top Tens for a year and they're covered in mould. It seems you got an unlucky pair or something.

That's weird, a friend of mine uses his 16oz Top Tens for everything and has had them for 3 years and they're still going strong. Top Tens are really popular around here and seem to last well. Another friend who doesn't take that good care of his gloves has had his Top Tens for a year and they're covered in mould. It seems you got an unlucky pair or something.

Ya, I am a little sceptical of this review; we don't get a full view of the glove, but it looks like the glove has a lot of discolouration for only 6 months of strictly sparring. Also, the hole is in a weird spot; I have seen palms rip, seams let go, but not in that spot before, and not in 6 months either.

Also, what I think he meant was that you cannot keep your gloves in your bag, which is actually bad for all boxing gloves. When I get home I open my bag and air it out, making sure to bring out the gloves I used so they can air out and dry properly.

Last edited:
Ya, I am a little sceptical of this review; we don't get a full view of the glove, but it looks like the glove has a lot of discolouration for only 6 months of strictly sparring. Also, the whole is in a weird spot; I have seen palms rip, seams let go, but not in that spot before, and not in 6 months either.

It looks like the gloves have been washed/left out in the rain, then dried in the sun. The foam has MAJOR water damage.

Now, heres the good part. As anyone can see...my top ten sparring gloves are unusable, and taking into account the information I have mentioned above, and the vastly superior quality of the rivals, I believed an exchange for a faulty 150$ product was in due order.

goddam $150? Over here in the UK you can find them just south of $90.

goddam $150? Over here in the UK you can find them just south of $90.

Because they are made in Germany they jacked the prices at the Canadian Top Ten store, which is why I never got a pair; wanted to, but didn't want to pay that much for them when Rival was a solid alternative. www.toptencanada.com they even want $100+ for a ab/groin protector like the one Ringside sells for $20.

I'm just glad that for once a good boxing brand is more expensive for the US than the UK =) I think $90 is a good price, and $150 is way too much for those gloves imo

Because they are made in Germany they jacked the prices at the Canadian Top Ten store, which is why I never got a pair; wanted to, but didn't want to pay that much for them when Rival was a solid alternative. www.toptencanada.com they even want $100+ for a ab/groin protector like the one Ringside sells for $20.

Well, they are actually made in Pakistan :cool: All of them.
I knew well a guy who is very involved in their manufacturing and distribution... He doesn't use them for training at all. He always says "the foam is excellent, the rest is..." :icon_lol:

Well, they are actually made in Pakistan :cool: All of them.
I knew well a guy who is very involved in their manufacturing and distribution... He doesn't use them for training at all. He always says "the foam is excellent, the rest is..." :icon_lol:

Well all the Top Ten gear I have seen and the amature headgear my school sells is stamped "Made in Germany", so if they are actually made in Pakistan they can get in big trouble, the UK and Europe have strict laws about stuff like that. Also my Rival sparring gloves, and Mexican headgear were made in China, the RB50s were made in Palistan.

Well all the Top Ten gear I have seen and the amature headgear my school sells is stamped "Made in Germany", so if they are actually made in Pakistan they can get in big trouble, the UK and Europe have strict laws about stuff like that. Also my Rival sparring gloves, and Mexican headgear were made in China, the RB50s were made in Palistan.

No legal troubles at all.
Well, I am not absolutely sure about all headgears (will have a look and ask too), but I am absolutely sure ALL Top Ten gloves are made in Pakistan. No exceptions. All Top Ten gloves sold in Europe are labled "Made in Pakistan", including those gloves they sell in Germany. Do you think they keep Pakistan gloves for Germany and make special for Canada? :)
As for legal troubles... Not at all. You can easily make something in Pakistan, then stitch in Germany a big Top Ten lable on the wrist strap and according to the law it is made in Germany - no problem. Because the final product is made in Germany. Even legally.

By the way, if anyone wants them cheaper try this:
http://www.fighters-inc.com/ (the guy I was talking about)

or ebay seller: drfloyd04 (still the same as above) - he has sometimes factory second with minor defects for ridiculous price.

Guys, 150 bucks for Top Ten?! Are you kidding? Even the mentioned guy uses Thai brands instead.

They even say you cannot use them on bag, but just for sparring.

Last edited:
No legal troubles at all.
Well, I am not absolutely sure about all headgears (will have a look and ask too), but I am absolutely sure ALL Top Ten gloves are made in Pakistan. No exceptions. All Top Ten gloves sold in Europe are labled "Made in Pakistan", including those gloves they sell in Germany. Do you think they keep Pakistan gloves for Germany and make special for Canada? :)
As for legal troubles... Not at all. You can easily make something in Pakistan, than stitch in Germany a big Top Ten lable on the wrist strap and according to the law it is made in Germany - no problem. Because the final product is made in Germany. Even legally.

Same thing with Nokia mobile phones (when they were still manufactured in Finland).
All parts came from China but they added a sticker to the phones here in Finland and they magically became "Made in Finland" :icon_chee

the price is $150 cause of middle men (manufacturer + top ten + top ten canada) and top ten canada is the only canadian distributor so they can set the prices at whatever they want.

look at the canadian distributor for ringside their prices are on average 30% higher then buying from ringside USA.

Plus due to the fact that most of their business is probably wholesale to clubs i'm sir they have to keep their retail high so their clients can make money reselling their products if they had an aggressive retail program, i'm sure alot of their wholesale clients would start looking around for a new suppliers.

i've lost a bit of business to obscure brands that produce garbage just because my wholesale to retail ratio wasn't 1:2, some coaches just don't care what the sell to their students as long as they are making as much money as they can.

anyways i'm surprised the store owner didn't just exchange them for you even if it looks like you left them on the street to get run over by a bus.

i seen some top tens gloves after a few years of use and the foam looked worse then the leather. from the pictures i assumed you must have long nails ,or the gloves may have been to short so forcing your fingertips to jam into the leather when making a fist.

Mike @ Gorilla Fight Gear

Last edited:
sashalex due to the poor customer service you got from that store i'd be happy to offer you a 20% coupon code for our current hitman gloves stratch that i'll offer it to all sherdogers for till the end of the month. i'll post it in the other hitman review post.

Last edited:
Ya, I am a little sceptical of this review; we don't get a full view of the glove, but it looks like the glove has a lot of discolouration for only 6 months of strictly sparring. Also, the hole is in a weird spot; I have seen palms rip, seams let go, but not in that spot before, and not in 6 months either.

Also, what I think he meant was that you cannot keep your gloves in your bag, which is actually bad for all boxing gloves. When I get home I open my bag and air it out, making sure to bring out the gloves I used so they can air out and dry properly.

Yes, I did keep them in my bag, although it was open all the time. But even that is irrelevant in light of how POORLY these gloves compare to the rivals (which are cheaper). I had the rivals 3x longer and they sustained 20x the abuse. They were also kept in the same bag under the exact same conditions.

Maybe top ten should be providing a "special" bag with every pair of gloves? Or better yet, why not suggest that their customers LIVE at their gym so that a bag is unnecessary?

I can't explain the discoloration. Its probably just very poor leather...again, just look at the rivals.

I'm just glad that for once a good boxing brand is more expensive for the US than the UK =) I think $90 is a good price, and $150 is way too much for those gloves imo

there were on sale for ~50 recently on one web page.

0TMBc.gif

Now I'm going to go a step further and point out a design flaw in your gloves which causes this to happen as it did to myself and a few others i know. You can thank me for this later. Your Bayfill glove mold is designed in such a way that the boxer using them needs to constantly clench his fist in order for it to stay closed. This is because the mold actually prevents keeping a closed fist in resting position. Obviously the boxer is in danger of breaking his hand in the event that he does not keep his fist clenched.
Plenty of gloves, and specifically contest gloves are like that. The Top Tens are all pretty much the same as their AIBA contest gloves. Unless you actually have to strain to close your fist, I'd rather a glove naturally be open so you can catch/parry shots than already be in a closed fist position.

Back