Top catch-as-catch-can/shoot-wrestling practicioners...?

Kforcer

Dragon Slayer
@Gold
Reaction score
Limited to 1993 onward and limiting it to those that compete...what would such a list look like?

Some names to consider for it would be:

-Sakuraba
-Funaki
-Suzuki
-Sato
-Frank Shamrock
-Josh Barnett
-Dan Severn
-Imanari
-Tokoro
-Ken Shamrock
-Tamura
-Sudo
-John Lewis (LeBelle)
-Karo Parisyan (LeBelle)
-Kondo
-Gomi
-Sakurai

Such a list has never really been attempted before, far as I can tell. Interesting to think about, at least for me. Carl Malenko is of course, catch-as-catch-can...but I don't know if he would make a "best of" list, though I'm sure he's technically awesome.

Sudo is not catch as catch can... he trained BJJ at the Beverley Hills Jiu Jitsu Club and is a brown belt. I know he's done wrestling in college but IIRC he is not CACC.

flyingknee16 said:
Sudo is not catch as catch can... he trained BJJ at the Beverley Hills Jiu Jitsu Club and is a brown belt. I know he's done wrestling in college but IIRC he is not CACC.
Yeah, Genki doesn't really have any direct links to Catch, besides wrestling Greco-Roman in school.

Kforcer said:
Limited to 1993 onward and limiting it to those that compete...what would such a list look like?

Some names to consider for it would be:

-Sakuraba
-Funaki
-Suzuki
-Sato
-Frank Shamrock
-Josh Barnett
-Dan Severn
-Imanari
-Tokoro
-Ken Shamrock
-Tamura
-Sudo
-John Lewis (LeBelle)
-Karo Parisyan (LeBelle)
-Kondo
-Gomi
-Sakurai

Such a list has never really been attempted before, far as I can tell. Interesting to think about, at least for me. Carl Malenko is of course, catch-as-catch-can...but I don't know if he would make a "best of" list, though I'm sure he's technically awesome.

Jiro Wakabayshi
Naoya Uematsu
Kyo Saski
Tsyoshi Kohsaka
Ryu Ueyama
Tafumi Ito
Osami Shibyua

(I'll post more as they come to me)

Erik Paulson, Fuke, Alexander Otsuka and Hidetaka Aso too. Great thread :)

How could you forget the King of Catch, Matt Furey?

combat_cardio.jpg

chinamonkeybars.jpg

Someone get a needle-and-thread, because this guy is RIPPED.

And no, in case you're wondering, Matt Furey jokes are not going to get old with me for a very, very long time :icon_lol:

Yeah... Chonan's trained under Tamura, so he's CACC I guess.

I'm glad that someone added Erik Paulson, because he has probably done more to spread the awareness of catchwrestling (via Shooto/Shootwrestling) than anyone else currently active in North America

Stephan Kesting
www.grapplearts.com

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Yeah, Genki doesn't really have any direct links to Catch, besides wrestling Greco-Roman in school.

With his shot, I guarantee he wrestled freestyle extensively as well...anyway, Beverly Hills Jiu-Jitsu is more of a submission grappling place than expressly a BJJ place. I know that Genki Sudo is a brown belt in BJJ, but before all that, he was brought up as a Pancrase fighter, which usually--for the Japanese--means living, eating and training with a Pancrase team.

I would say he's got as much catch/shoot-wrestling as he does BJJ, if not more--clearly, his style such as it is aesthetically resembles catch/shoot-wrestling more than BJJ.

Catch_Shannon said:
Erik Paulson, Fuke, Alexander Otsuka and Hidetaka Aso too. Great thread :)

Great call on Erik Paulson...! IMO, Otsuka is way underrated...clearly his shoddy knees caused a fairly swift deteroriation as far as fighting efficacy goes. In the early Prides, I found is takedowns good and mentality also a very good one...calm but very tough.

Kforcer said:
With his shot, I guarantee he wrestled freestyle extensively as well...anyway, Beverly Hills Jiu-Jitsu is more of a submission grappling place than expressly a BJJ place. I know that Genki Sudo is a brown belt in BJJ, but before all that, he was brought up as a Pancrase fighter, which usually--for the Japanese--means living, eating and training with a Pancrase team.

I would say he's got as much catch/shoot-wrestling as he does BJJ, if not more--clearly, his style such as it is aesthetically resembles catch/shoot-wrestling more than BJJ.
I remember that bout with Craig Oxley, where he did that spin into a achilles ankle lock. v

Fred Rado is the top pancrase instructor in France, does he count?

Hockeyfacekilla, Gomi's already listed. Please read threads before posting in them.

Didn't Kohsaka have a judo background first?

What do these guys *SUDO, SAKURABA, etc. in Japan call their wrestling??? Obviously not "Catch-as-Catch-Can"

Cardio said:
What do these guys *SUDO, SAKURABA, etc. in Japan call their wrestling??? Obviously not "Catch-as-Catch-Can"

Actually, quite often times, they do call it just that. In fact, they often call submission wrestling matches "catch" matches and in Shooto, submissions are referred to as "catches".

Sakuraba, especially, is in direct catch-as-catch-can lineage, having trained submissions first in the UWF Snake Pit, which was run by Billy Robinson.

Superbeast said:
Fred Rado is the top pancrase instructor in France, does he count?

Hockeyfacekilla, Gomi's already listed. Please read threads before posting in them.

Didn't Kohsaka have a judo background first?

Right, that's why I didn't include TK even though obviously he's trained with and been influenced by catch/shoot guys.

Back