@purple
Reaction score
Here is my list

1 Fedor VS Werdum
2 Griffen VS Shogun
3 Hughes VS Penn
4 Silva Vs Chonan
5 Gomi Vs Diaz

Chael/Silva 1. Even though Anderson was the heavy favorite, the nature of the way that submission went down has to be considered an upset.

Wagney Fabiano - Mackens Semerzier was probably the biggest upset submission ever.

Semerzier was a 4-0 prospect who took a late-replacement fight against world renown BJJ black belt and competitior Fabiano who had started off his MMA career 12-1 and already had two WEC wins.

Literally 1% of people thought Mackens would win let alone submit the amazing BJJ artist.

Chael/Silva 1. Even though Anderson was the heavy favorite, the nature of the way that submission went down has to be considered an upset.

Going into the fight Anderson triangling Sonnen would have been seen as one of the more likely outcomes given Sonnen's history.

Yeah, Chael being the underdog had left everyone's mind in the previous 23 or 24 minutes.

I think I'd rank Silva/Takase above the Chonan fight, despite how awesome Chonan's sub was. Takase was like 4-7 going into the Anderson fight and, if my understanding is correct, most expected it to be a cake walk for Anderson.

Totally overlooked, but at the time Mackens Semerzier over Wagnney Fabiano at WEC 43 has got to be up there.

miller vs gurgel was also pretty big considering gurgel's bjj background

Going into the fight Anderson triangling Sonnen would have been seen as one of the more likely outcomes given Sonnen's history.

Yeah, with Chael getting ko'd being the most likely outcome.

Reported for trolling.
Cro Cop was undefeated and seen as the upcoming guy to dethrone Fedor, while Nog had just lost to Fedor and had an uninspired bout against Ricco.
CC was a small favourite in that bout.

Pettis over bendo was pretty shocking, although bendo was hurt pretty badly prior to the sub

Another good one, but since Carneiro had just been submitted by Fitch, not quite as dramatic.

Fitch was a top ranked WW known for his grappling though, and if I remember right Carniero almost submitted him early but gassed out going for the choke. Not that it wasn't surprising for Fitch to sub him, but this was Burns first fight in the UFC and I think he was a BJJ blue belt at the time subbing a respected black belt. It wasn't quite Mackens vs Wagney but it wasn't too far off

Back