Top 5 All Time Upset Submission Losses

Good list.

No one gave Forrest a chance in hell against Shogun.

semerzier-fabiano
fedor/werdum
reem/belfort
chandler/alvarez

What about Pettis subbing Bendo in the first few moments of the fight? I sure as hell expected a war like their first fight. I couldn't believe it. I remember the audience was incredibly quiet right as the fight was called considering who was fighting.

Cro Cop was undefeated and seen as the upcoming guy to dethrone Fedor, while Nog had just lost to Fedor and had an uninspired bout against Ricco.
CC was a small favourite in that bout.

Losing as a small favorite hardly makes it a top five loss of all time.

Actually it doesn't at all.

Wagney Fabiano - Mackens Semerzier was probably the biggest upset submission ever.

Semerzier was a 4-0 prospect who took a late-replacement fight against world renown BJJ black belt and competitior Fabiano who had started off his MMA career 12-1 and already had two WEC wins.

Literally 1% of people thought Mackens would win let alone submit the amazing BJJ artist.

I got a chance to train with semerzier, it was awesome.

On topic, this. It was supposed to be a squash match. It'd be like Maia or jacare getting tapped by a random tune up fighter.

chonan ichi ban

CC vs Randleman

literally no one would place a bet CC would beat him in that way...

Not that it's top 5, which I think has been adequately covered, but Pulver subbing Cub still has me shaking my head.

I do not believe Silva vs Chonan was that huge of an upset at the time. Anderson was far from the fighter he would become, I think he was like a BJJ blue belt back then.

This isn't high profile at all, but Semerzier submitting Wagnney Fabiano with a triangle was something I don't think anyone would have predicted.

The way the fight was going,
Mir vs Nog 2 should be in the top 10.

Back