Lennox
Holmes
Foreman
Jack Johnson
Rocky Marciano
Joe Frazier
Wladimir Klitschko
Evander Holyfield

Here is the thing. I think you could argue Sonny Liston, Tyson for the #10 spot but they are outside the top 10 for me.

on top of that another interesting thing. James J Jeffries basically beat everyone in his era, retired undefeated and came back way past his prime to lose to Johnson

But the sport was so wild back then I don't know if I can put him on there. But by resume he probably should be

Dempsey is important, historically speaking, as he was arguably boxing's first superstar. But he does not belong in a top 5 ATG.

Dempsey is important, historically speaking, as he was arguably boxing's first superstar. But he does not belong in a top 5 ATG.
I agree. Dempsey is important and influential. He'd be number one or top 5 if this was 1950.

I think Ali and Joe Louis are the top 2 and are deservedly so.
The next few are debateable but personally I think Lennox and Holmes should take 3 and 4.

After that it's a mess. Compare Tyson with Foreman? But how do you leave out Marciano?

I know if I had to put my life on a boxing match. Gun to the head. I'd pick Ali.

I agree. Dempsey is important and influential. He'd be number one or top 5 if this was 1950.

The next few are debateable but personally I think Lennox and Holmes should take 3 and 4.

After that it's a mess. Compare Tyson with Foreman? But how do you leave out Marciano?

I know if I had to put my life on a boxing match. Gun to the head. I'd pick Ali.
you are correct

to me the most interesting debate is #4 and #5. Holmes vs Foreman

who has the better resume?

#6-#10 can be all sorts of names

but the top 5 of ali, louis, lennox, holmes, foreman are set imo

Ali
Louis
Lennox
Holmes
Foreman
Jack Johnson
Rocky Marciano
Joe Frazier
Wladimir Klitschko
Evander Holyfield

Here is the thing. I think you could argue Sonny Liston, Tyson for the #10 spot but they are outside the top 10 for me.

on top of that another interesting thing. James J Jeffries basically beat everyone in his era, retired undefeated and came back way past his prime to lose to Johnson

But the sport was so wild back then I don't know if I can put him on there. But by resume he probably should be
I didn't put lennox because he lost in his prime against an unskilled boxer like rahman and got ktfo by mccall but I think he could be num 10 instead of tyson, Oliver mccall was a good boxer. Frazier was a hell of a boxer but his record is not long enough

Last edited:
you are correct

to me the most interesting debate is #4 and #5. Holmes vs Foreman

who has the better resume?

#6-#10 can be all sorts of names

but the top 5 of ali, louis, lennox, holmes, foreman are set imo

Its one of the great missing fights for me.

Foreman vs Holmes.

Both were old losing to Holyfield.

A non religious fully trained Foreman would have been an hell of a fight for Homes in his prime. What a fight.

I take Holmes but that's not a fight I would put money on.

1- Muhammad Ali
2- Joe louis
3- Larry Holmes
4- Foreman
5- Dempsey
7- jack johnson
8- Holyfield
9- Marciano
10- Tyson
I don't think I'd pick a single one of those to beat Lewis who you haven't included. Lewis could switch off mentally but at his best I can't think of another HW I'd pick to beat him.

I don't think I'd pick a single one of those to beat Lewis who you haven't included.
Lewis was very good I almost put him instead of tyson many consider him as a top 5 but I don't like the fact he was getting outboxed by an old frank bruno even if he won and knocked out cold by a street fighter like rahman

Lewis was very good I almost put him instead of tyson many consider him as a top 5 but I don't like the fact he was getting outboxed by an old frank bruno even if he won and knocked out cold by a street fighter like rahman

It’s hw boxing pal, where the stakes are far higher if you make a mistake.

He also avenged both of his losses, beat your no.10, and you’re number 8 (twice if we are being honest), unified the title, beat all comers in one of the most stacked Hw divisions historically.
Leaving Lewis out of a top 10 HW list is laughable, even if you don’t really rate/like him. His record speaks for itself.

Always needs to be two lists. Overall career/accomplishments and at their absolute peak

Career - Best/peak
Ali - Lennox
Louis - Tyson
Lennox - Ali
Holmes - Holmes
Foreman - Foreman
Wlad - Vitali
Marciano - Liston
Frazier - Louis
Holyfield - Wlad
Tyson - Frazier

My opinion on an Ali/Louis matchup. Billy Conn boxed Joe Louis's ears off for twelve rounds and got knocked out when he foolishly decided to trade with Louis. Ali was much faster than Billy Conn. If Ali was too cocky and gave Louis an opportunity to catch him on the ropes, then a sharpshooter with devastating power like Louis maybe catches Ali and stops him. If Ali fights smart, uses his jab and stays on his bicycle, he wins by decision.

Ali
Louis
Lennox
Holmes
Foreman
Jack Johnson
Rocky Marciano
Joe Frazier
Wladimir Klitschko
Evander Holyfield

You put in Holyfield and Marciano but leave out Vitali? Even Fury clowns Holyfield and Marciano.

You put in Holyfield and Marciano but leave out Vitali? Even Fury clowns Holyfield and Marciano.
i do my lists by resume

vitali is lacking in that department. Fury still has some ways to go as well

Lewis was still pretty green when he lost to McCall and he was on the slide when he lost to Rahman.

i do my lists by resume

vitali is lacking in that department. Fury still has some ways to go as well

I can see that. That said it would be impossible in the current environment for Fury to build a competitive resume, no matter how good he became. Fury in my opinion beats any version of the Klitsckos on points. That has to count for something.

Why do ppl still talk about head to head fights on here when all time great list is made ?

Lewis batters Louis , Fury has done zilch with no title defenses but beat a guy who is terrible at core boxing and will look foolish when he leaves so Fury best win to date is still Klitschko on points in a snore fest but it’s safe to say he gets by most on a list but would have no merit being included here to that of a Marciano or even Dempsey so taking away some credibility to someone for losing or winning means nothing bc all eras have done that . If you aren’t putting two fighters in a actual match up of different eras and Instead using other people as proof and putting someone ahead based on that loss is faulty ,which doesn’t work.

Holmes should be above Mike Tyson but would never have defeated him anywhere near the stage they fought at any weight that doesn’t mean anything doing these rankings ,history , resumes and global recognition has to be all added up to a degree.

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Holmes
4. M.Tyson
5. W.Klitschko
6. Marciano
7.Holyfield
8. Lewis
9. Foreman
10. Dempsey

Last edited:

MArciano's resume is not all that great really unless you give him a pass for things Tyson gets excluded from greatness for.

I didn't put lennox because he lost in his prime against an unskilled boxer like rahman and got ktfo by mccall but I think he could be num 10 instead of tyson, Oliver mccall was a good boxer. Frazier was a hell of a boxer but his record is not long enough

Don't bother with the Lewis thing. Sherdog boxing has 1 God not ever to be criticized and his name is lennox Lewis. I like your list

Its one of the great missing fights for me.

Foreman vs Holmes.

Both were old losing to Holyfield.

A non religious fully trained Foreman would have been an hell of a fight for Homes in his prime. What a fight.

I take Holmes but that's not a fight I would put money on.

Holmes moving might give Foreman more breaks. He punched himself out a moving target that was sitting in front of him against Ali.

Foreman was a heavy puncher with both hands and had a good right. Holmes was great but kept being wide open to right hands. In fact, some of Holmes' tendencies would have played right into the dangerous hands of guys like Dempsey, Marciano, and Foreman, who had good right hands that they could through straight or looping. Not saying who wins but all three of those guys have a good chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back