• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top 10 best HW of all time

Right now, I would put

Fedor, Stipe, DC, Cain...people can argue what order.

AA, Timmeh and Mir should all be above Gane.

TS most likely had Duffee as number 1 all time until the hammer fist of doom!

Prime Cain would obliterate Francis, can there even be any argument about this?
lxaMlx8.gif

The fact that you put Cyril Gane as the 5th best HW of all time shows that you have no fucking clue at all what the heck are you talking about.

Man, seriously please edit that part because even for Sherdog standards that was just full retardation.

That dude is only 8-0, has defeated zero Top 5 opponents, and is coming from a very very boring decision win over Rozentruik and you have him as the 5th best HW of all time?? Man are you on crack or what?

Lmao at people buying the Gane hype.

Dude has only defeated a waaaaay past prime JDS and showed an extremely lackluster performance against Rozen (Who is not any great fighter either) and you basically have him as the next big thing.

Why fans are so stupid?

Lmao at people buying the Gane hype.

Dude has only defeated a waaaaay past prime JDS and showed an extremely lackluster performance against Rozen (Who is not any great fighter either) and you basically have him as the next big thing.

Why fans are so stupid?
How is a unanimous 50-45, with 102-42 in sig strikes, against a guy who only lost to Ngannou, a lackluster performance?
For reference, in Cain vs JDS 2 and 3, they went respectively 111-57 and 123-46 in sig strikes.

How is a unanimous 50-45, with 102-42 in sig strikes, against a guy who only lost to Ngannou, a lackluster performance?
For reference, in Cain vs JDS 2 and 3, they went respectively 111-57 and 123-46 in sig strikes.

Watch the actual fight, it was boring as fuck

<{1-10}>
Losing to Ngannou and Gane is not even in the same galaxy as losing to Fedor and Nog. That’s insane. Gane especially has done nothing to be computed with those 2 all time greats.
Stipe was the champ, so it’s certainly a good win in that respect. But we saw them fight a few years back when Stipe was still in good form, and we all saw how that went. Rozenstruik has not impressed me. He was beaten by old Overeem in every second of that fight except the last second (which was pretty gnarly, so credit to him). It’s a decent win, as Overeem is always dangerous, but let’s not overrate it. Reem was wayyy pst his best days by then. Rozen beat shot old JDS and Arlovski. Lost to in-prime fighters.
Ngannou and Gane are most likely 2 best guys at HW right now. You know, like Fedor and Nog were at their era

1. Ngannou and Gane are most likely 2 best guys at HW right now. You know, like Fedor and Nog were at their era
Fedor and Nog were among the very best of any era. Way too early to say that about Ngannou and Gane. In fact, it’s too early to say Gane is one of the best of this current era, although I certainly hope so.

Last edited:
It’s about winning. Who do you see taking Ngannou down and keeping him there? He displayed very good wrestling against Stipe last time they fought
Well, yes, it’s about winning but the discussion was being had about “prime vs prime” based strictly on skills.

I feel like someone like a Gane might be able to get him down via work in the clinch. If I’m remembering off memory we’ve only seen him against traditional takedowns. I could be 100% wrong on that though

I could agree with Gane, but Ngannou? Come on man, he’s fought the best of the best. The way he beat Stipe tells you everything you need to know about his level.
The problem is the ufc pit stipe and DC on an island for 3 years. We have no idea how good stipe is right now. He could be the 10th best HW RIGHT NOW. That’s not to demean Stipe, but when you do an entire trilogy we lose perception of how champions stack up to the division.

The fact that ngannou lost to stipe and then stipe went through a couple wars and injuries.....it COULD mean Ngannou rose above the adversity. Or it COULD mean Stipe got old.

And to call him the goat? Like really? I’d argue he’s already eliminated from the conversation because other guys like Fedor never lost to their greatest rivals in their best years.

Yes that’s harsh, but that’s what he has to compete with to be called HW goat.

The problem is the ufc pit stipe and DC on an island for 3 years. We have no idea how good stipe is right now. He could be the 10th best HW RIGHT NOW. That’s not to demean Stipe, but when you do an entire trilogy we lose perception of how champions stack up to the division.

The fact that ngannou lost to stipe and then stipe went through a couple wars and injuries.....it COULD mean Ngannou rose above the adversity. Or it COULD mean Stipe got old.
Spot on. But DC schooled Lewis in between their 2 first fights so we know he was at least this good at that time. The effect of back surgery after that is an unkown.

And to call him the goat? Like really? I’d argue he’s already eliminated from the conversation because other guys like Fedor never lost to their greatest rivals in their best years.

Yes that’s harsh, but that’s what he has to compete with to be called HW goat.
You could very well argue that Ngannou wasn't yet in his best years when he lost, while Fedor had a long period of can crushing to mature before facing tough competition. Ngannou got thrown to Overrem anf Stipr after less than 5 years of training (starting from zero).
Also, GOAT obviously not in term of career. But the best ever, in the sense that no one at any time could have beaten the current version of Ngannou? Now that's more debatable.

The hard thing about not considering resume and only discussing who you think would win is that you end up in a world of fictional MMAth. I’m open to the consideration that Ngannou might be the most dangerous striker ever. Is that the same thing as best? Need more data, I would think.

At the same time, I see some people saying any good wrestler would beat him and, like, Blaydes is a very good wrestler. Francis is clearly dangerous to anybody. He could, after all is said and done, turn out to be the best HW ever. It’s not outside the realm of possibility. But who can really say that he is right now?

I echo those who think we’re way too premature on Gane. He’s pure potential to me right now, and while he might end up being great, he hasn’t provided even one truly great performance where all that potential has been realized (you could also say that this is because he hasn’t been truly tested, and fair enough).

I do also think that prime Sylvia, Arlovski, and even Mir would beat more names than people are going to give them credit for after the fact because of all the weird Pride vs UFC jingoism during that era. I’d favor the first two over Gane, for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back