Tool Guys, GTFIH…

I think a setup like that would be great if you had specific jobs offsite. Or, maybe you don't use a lot of specific tools and store them for long periods.

My setup is more for automotive with your typical roll around cart and large tool box. My power tools/construction stuff are in their own cases on open shelves. That'll change to cabinets in due time.

I've got an older craftsman tool box that's packed with hand tools. 2 work benches and shelves full of stuff.

My organization is severely lacking though and my workshop is a bit of a mess right now.

Its been too hot to work there the last month. That and the little fucking ankle biter mosquitos have made it impossible to work wearing shorts.

The Milwaukee Packout and Festool Systainers are supposed to be for jobsite work and not a workshop. For example, I have a well equipped shop to build cabinets and furniture, but I also have to take these workpieces to people's homes and in some cases do installation and trim work. A little packout setup that is always loaded with the essentials would be perfect for a weekend warrior like myself...

Unless you do contracting/construction work, I would much rather build my own wooden tool storage equipment for a shop.

Currently live in an apartment so I don't do any woodworking at the moment, but when I finally move into a house with a shop I'll probably build something like this.

Totally agree, a shaker style bench with all the drawers is so much better for a home shop. Pretty easy and not super expensive to build either

I got an early version of that concept years ago. Mine only has 3 compartments and it’s kind of a pain that I need to take the top 2 off to get to the bottom one.

did this new Milwaukee version solve that? With drawers maybe?

I got an early version of that concept years ago. Mine only has 3 compartments and it’s kind of a pain that I need to take the top 2 off to get to the bottom one.

did this new Milwaukee version solve that? With drawers maybe?

Yea they have a drawer module, but short of that it’s still a stack and the bottom one takes some work to access…

aOcN1Rq.jpg

Q1j1x7b.jpg

pNfm56v.jpg

Taking on the monumental task, shutting down the shop, and fitting everything I need to live on the road, and on the sea, into the Milwaukee Packout, it’s a daunting task, but I’m pushing through..

A3CB189C-EEC8-4ED7-ADA3-A0CB63939161.jpeg A59F153E-D407-457E-B3A3-23FA765D9A2D.jpeg 5F2AEBA6-8BF5-4AA4-BDCC-1991FACAA610.jpeg

you the guy with the mini top fuel dragster looking thing?

Those pack out sets are great for those that work out of their truck, or those that like to own tools but don't really use them. But for the rest of us, IMO they're just a PITA ass because every time you need something, you have to move and open boxes until you find it. I need my tools where I can easily reach them, at MOST I want to open a drawer. Most things I prefer to have hanging on a wall.
It's sort of like the modular tackle systems for those that fish. Seems like a great idea, until you're fishing and need to go through 13 boxes to find the lure you want to use. Then 7 more to find the box where you need to put the one you just took off. It's just too much.

Those pack out sets are great for those that work out of their truck, or those that like to own tools but don't really use them. But for the rest of us, IMO they're just a PITA ass because every time you need something, you have to move and open boxes until you find it. I need my tools where I can easily reach them, at MOST I want to open a drawer. Most things I prefer to have hanging on a wall.
It's sort of like the modular tackle systems for those that fish. Seems like a great idea, until you're fishing and need to go through 13 boxes to find the lure you want to use. Then 7 more to find the box where you need to put the one you just took off. It's just too much.

I agree, however I need to fit and efficiently store my tools in a 45’ Motorhome, and a 50’ boat..so my options are limited as will be my tools and supplies..I’m attempting to organize the Packout so that the boxes are labeled and complete..
The screw gun box will be near the top, inside I tried to organize everything connected except the screw..
01FADF81-66E5-431A-9AD4-B256C8EE8418.jpeg 5620A5B3-6F52-49F8-8069-6B4A801AD516.jpeg B702B713-DCD5-4462-A9EC-05316DA99374.jpeg

I cut and installed 1-1/2” foam, drilled out holes, and keeping my bits clear and accessible..

Back