Tony hasn't put in the man-hours into wrestling

Poirier didn't try to stop the takedown. He thought he could fight from bottom.
What on earth are you talking about? Poirier willingly and repeatedly gave his back and tried to wrestle to his feet. Most of the fight was spent with Khabib holding his back. At no point did Poirier attempt to play guard in the fight. He could have easily reguarded if that was his strategy.

I still can’t believe a guy with 50+ pro mma fights and all of his kickboxing fights,blew his nose like that.

Everyone expects Khabib to take him down, but untill when? Tony doesn't slow down and hurts his opponents from every position possible.

You do know tony has been wrestling since he was a kid? He was a 3x all state wrestler, won a state championship in high school. Then went on to win a collegiate championship. Its not like he just started wrestling in prep for Khabib

upload_2020-1-24_15-22-53.gif

I can’t believe the TS didn’t know this...

upload_2020-1-24_15-24-7.gif

Tony was a wrestler!!

upload_2020-1-24_15-25-27.jpeg

He's fought more wrestlers than Khabib has

That's irrelevant - Khabib won't be fighting a wrestler, he'll be fighting Tony Ferguson.

Tony will be fighting the best wrestler that's ever fought at that weight class.

Eddie Bravo said that they're preparing to be on the bottom.

They know it'll be a lot of fighting from there with Khabib.

Yep, they probably know it's a waste of time to train too much in takedown defense, because Tony isn't going to stop Khabib's wrestling. So, it looks like they have decided that the time is better spent on training on the ground.

What on earth are you talking about? Poirier willingly and repeatedly gave his back and tried to wrestle to his feet. Most of the fight was spent with Khabib holding his back. At no point did Poirier attempt to play guard in the fight. He could have easily reguarded if that was his strategy.
I compare it to Iaquinta who had success stopping the takedown. Poirier accepted the clinch and thought he could work from there and use the switch etc.. when they were on the ground. I thought Poirier had a very bad gameplan. I want to see a good striker keep it on the feet against Khabib. Al did but Al doesn't have the greatest standup. Tibau did also but also not so great with the hands.

I don't think he needs to, he's going to get taken down regardless...I think the time is better spent on scrambles & escapes. The only person who has the chance to output Khabib is Tony, we have seen Khabib slow down, not sure I have seen Tony ever slow down.

I love me some Tony, but something tells me he doesn't have the credentials to bang with Khabib.

If Khabib "bangs" with Tony he will get obliterated. .. KO'd stiff.

Even if he does his patented "2-round-blast" and doesn't manage finish Tony, he will get beaten in the championship rounds because his cardio is only average (sorry nuthuggers) and Tony's cardio is elite.

This isn't Al Iaquinta we are talking about here, this is an elite guy.

Khabib and Abdulminap are currently clowning Conor like fools. Already looking past the biggest challenger Khabib has ever faced to their biggest ever payday (sorry... biggest ever "Legacy")

Don’t need to wrestle when you can imminari roll and pull D’Arce chokes out your ass

Also Tony likes to fight off his back, so he may just let Khabib take him down and do some damage on him when they are down.

That's irrelevant - Khabib won't be fighting a wrestler, he'll be fighting Tony Ferguson.

Tony will be fighting the best wrestler that's ever fought at that weight class.

...Tony himself is a wrestler

And how can you claim Khabib is the best wrestler ever when he hasn't fought any?

Khabib has complete mastery of his art; Tony is completely unpredictable and scary as hell in his own right. This fight!!!

The fight is essentially Khabib's ankle picks versus Tony's rolling on the ground.

Khabib relies on the anklepicks for takedowns, Ferguson tries to turn and roll when in danger. Should be a very interesting style matchup. I got Tony catching Khabib with a spinning elbow when breaking from a scramble.

Back