Tony had me thinking he was back to form. Then he got dominated again. I'm just sad.

Its over. I'm not sure how you reinvent that style.

He is 37 and took a lot of punishment in his career.
But last night I found his striking incredibly shabby and also his famous BJJ skills where nowhere to be seen. Last night he was dominated at will on the mat by boring Dariush but a good striker would have dismantled him. Tony was a sad shadow of himself.
He is done. Maybe he insists in another fight but to me, for his own good, he should throw the sponge. It was an amazing run, but there is nothing left in his tank.

Yeah, I still believed after Gaethje, but this and Oliveira fight kind of set the reality in. He had a great run, but guys in these lower weight classes age in dog years and the dude's been around a lot. I would give him an easy fight at WW at this point, see how he does without a weight cut.

Big Tony fan but he's clearly a step behind. He's getting old, natural decline, plus major change of fight camp made him look awful. Like, I am having a hard time thinking of something he did well against Beneil.

Tony has been my favourite fighter since he beat Tibau but as exciting as he was I knew his career would end in flames.

TBH, I'm very surprised his skill declined before the toughness, I always thought his decline would be triggered by his chin getting cracked.

I wish his past few fights could of been 5 rounders, not saying he wins but who knows

So many of his fights were wars - he took a lot of damage in his wins. The man was a straight up animal, however, it seems all that damage and time have finally caught up - yeah, just sad, sucks.

Its not sad at all..

now you know. let it go.

He's 37

Some of you guys are as bad as the fighters when it comes to deluding yourself into believing a fighter is still in their prime
I never said I thought he was in his prime or even close. I just was holding onto hope he was still the class of the division with his unorthodox style, incredible chin and heart, and ability to land damage. Of course hes not as good as he was even 5 years ago that's a given

Its just sad, but thats mileage and aging for you.
Only thing that bothers me besides not seeing any more of his legendary performances, is that people will shit on him and will easily forget that he was top 2 fighter of that division for a really long time and was screwed over by the whole Conor situation. Just sad he never got the real belt.
Agreed. He was one of the best p4p fighters in the world for 7ish years and never got his due. He was not only top level but unreal entertaining and while I think khabib probably beats him in their primes, i genuinely believe he gives him a good fight a few years back maybe even steals 1/3

I never said I thought he was in his prime or even close. I just was holding onto hope he was still the class of the division with his unorthodox style, incredible chin and heart, and ability to land damage. Of course hes not as good as he was even 5 years ago that's a given
"I never said I thought he was in his prime or even close, I was just holding onto hope he was still in his prime or close"

Its just sad, but thats mileage and aging for you.
Only thing that bothers me besides not seeing any more of his legendary performances, is that people will shit on him and will easily forget that he was top 2 fighter of that division for a really long time and was screwed over by the whole Conor situation. Just sad he never got the real belt.
Also I really believe in retrospect that the beating that gathje gave him was a huge reason why he hasn't been the same pressure fighter. The strategy he had won with for a decade was destroyed and that has to have some type of affect

Surely the UFC are under a moral obligation to tell this guy to quit... Would be nice if ufc gave him a reasonably large sum to retire and not fight again

"I never said I thought he was in his prime or even close, I was just holding onto hope he was still in his prime or close"
Uh no. I'm saying I was hoping even out of his prime tony was still better than everyone not named khabib. And that his recent losses were relative flukes in that he would win rematches. If you knew how to read you would understand this

Uh no. I'm saying I was hoping even out of his prime tony was still better than everyone not named khabib. And that his recent losses were relative flukes in that he would win rematches. If you knew how to read you would understand this
<{Joewithit}>
Lol you sound like your IQ around 70

I wish his past few fights could of been 5 rounders, not saying he wins but who knows
Gathje was a 5 rdr and that may have ruined him. Oliviera finished him in the second, and even as the most optimistic tony fan I can't see him coming back again beniel his leg was destroyed and he was getting beaten on the ground.

Back