Tony had me thinking he was back to form. Then he got dominated again. I'm just sad.

From wiki :
In *March 2019*, Cristina filed a restraining order against Ferguson, alleging uncharacteristic behavior such as severe paranoia, not sleeping for days, tearing apart their home fireplace, and believing that a tracking chip was inserted into his leg during reconstructive knee surgery. Ferguson's wife, however, did not claim any form of abuse or violence from Ferguson and claims that she filed the restraining order as a precautionary measure to get Ferguson the necessary help for his mental state .
Did Tony start taking psych meds and when ?
untitled.PNG

From wiki :
In *March 2019*, Cristina filed a restraining order against Ferguson, alleging uncharacteristic behavior such as severe paranoia, not sleeping for days, tearing apart their home fireplace, and believing that a tracking chip was inserted into his leg during reconstructive knee surgery. Ferguson's wife, however, did not claim any form of abuse or violence from Ferguson and claims that she filed the restraining order as a precautionary measure to get Ferguson the necessary help for his mental state .
View attachment 855278
Manic Tony is unbeatable

He's 37

Some of you guys are as bad as the fighters when it comes to deluding yourself into believing a fighter is still in their prime
That being said, its kinda odd that Edson barboza will go on to outlast tony ferguson. I think at 37, edson will be a better fighter than tony was at 37. He has two more years til he's 37.

Been a fan of Tony for quite a time. I did back Benny (whom I've been high on awhile) and thought he showed well. Pretty much running the game start to finish.

Tony has many many fight years on him but I still think he remains top 10 for sometime should he so choose.

That being said, its kinda odd that Edson barboza will go on to outlast tony ferguson. I think at 37, edson will be a better fighter than tony was at 37. He has two more years til he's 37.
They fall off quick man, Tony was still killing it at 35

Are there any LW's in history that were 37 and still really good? Especially ones that fought their whole life like Edson, I just don't even think it's possible to be that old and not decline

Gaethje stole his soul. Almost all fighters that take the type beating Tony did in that fight are never the same. Tony was given what was supposed to be a winnable fight against Dariush and he get dominated yet again. Seriously Tony should retire his no quit attitude and the beatings he has taken is only going to come back and wreck him when he's in his 50's and 60's and can't even tie his shoe laces.
Lol winnable? He literally never stood a chance, it was always dariush fight

They fall off quick man, Tony was still killing it at 35

Are there any LW's in history that were 37 and still really good? Especially ones that fought their whole life like Edson, I just don't even think it's possible to be that old and not decline
No, That's what I call it Khabib's Law. 35+ years old = too old to win a title.

No, That's what I call it Khabib's Law. 35+ years old = too old to win a title.
Yeah exactly, part of the reason Khabib is so good is that he and his father were very honest and realistic about shit

They were humble, didn't take stupid short notice fights, didn't go up in weight for no reason, and even though I think Khabib had 2 or 3 more years in his prime, he stopped before he started having shitty performances. Only thing Khabib ever did wrong was have some bad weight cuts early on, which he figured out towards the end of his career.

This stuff is pretty obvious if you remain HUMBLE

MMA is a rough sport. Injuries, physical and mental issues can destroy fighters. Tony seems to be someone that the time has passed him and he has zero shot of hitting a title again and would not be a challenge for most in the top 10.

I can forgive the losses to gathje and oliviera, as far as I dont think losing to either should mean your not worthy of winning a title on any given night. This most recent loss brings a few things to mind for me.

Tony is officially on the decline. Losing to gathje/oliviera in their current forms could happen to anyone outside of maybe khabib. Prior to his loss to Dariush I might have argued he would win a rematch vs either.

Tony's ground game is tailor made vs only specific fighters. If your a good wrestler but not that active, or a bjj guy who doesn't have legit world class subs, tony will win the ground exchanges via higher output and scrambles.

Tony's output has dropped dramatically in the past few years. Also his elbows just dont seem to cut like they used to, if that's an angle or output or just better defense I'm not sure. Watching last night's fight I kept thinking one of those elbows from the bottom were going to slice dariush open but it just didn't happen.

Lastly I'm just sad that Tony will almost surely never get the undisputed title barring a run from here forward. One more loss probably sends him to bellator which I wouldn't even mind being that we may get to see some more of what made him so special vs a slightly lower level of competition.

What did other tony fans see am I missing something or is this really the end of tony as a top level contender.

Fyi I think dariush is great but hes not going to get a title either imo. Hes a top 5ish fighter and no one to overlook, but tony has been the boogeyman for so long this was surprising to me.
He old. Get over it. See how that didnt take a ton of text. Try it

Fighters with poor fundamentals fall off quickly. Ferguson had a run of good matchups where his seriously overrated ground game was never really exploited. He was winning with his conditioning and ability to take damage on the feet while returning fire and picking up the pace. That was never going to last forever.

It's clear that he isn't quite in his prime anymore, but guys like Oliveira and Dariush always would have beaten him on the ground. He just doesn't have the positional Jiu-Jitsu game or takedown defense for those kinds of fighters and that was always true.

Tony is old, & at the lighter weight classes it gets amplified, along with the fact he has taken lots of damage even in victories. Tony may've already been declining before Gaethje. The last time Ferguson beat someone in their prime was over 3.5 yrs ago (Lee). After that he fought Pettis & Cerrone, 2 guys who were past their prime.

So many of his fights were wars - he took a lot of damage in his wins. The man was a straight up animal, however, it seems all that damage and time have finally caught up - yeah, just sad, sucks.

Its just sad, but thats mileage and aging for you.
Only thing that bothers me besides not seeing any more of his legendary performances, is that people will shit on him and will easily forget that he was top 2 fighter of that division for a really long time and was screwed over by the whole Conor situation. Just sad he never got the real belt.

People dont understand this. He was a elite fighter. Age and time gets everyone.

From wiki :
View attachment 855278
If he’s on meds then that will partly explain the decline. Meds can slow down your reaction time considerably.

Back