Tony Ferguson and Gilbert Burns going at it on Twitter

I think he neutralizes the pace a lot with his wrestling/top control and Tony can't just wade in with his hands down vs Burns, he'll get tagged and hurt.

The pace isn't only standing though, Tony makes guys work on the mat too. Even a more skilled grappler like Burns would be using a lot of energy holding Tony down, avoiding elbows, etc. Burns is absolutely good enough and then some to have a round 1 like Kevin Lee did vs Tony. The problem is the amount of energy he'd need to use to do it. After that...good luck.

The pace isn't only standing though, Tony makes guys work on the mat too. Even a more skilled grappler like Burns would be using a lot of energy holding Tony down, avoiding elbows, etc. Burns is absolutely good enough and then some to have a round 1 like Kevin Lee did vs Tony. The problem is the amount of energy he'd need to use to do it. After that...good luck.

I think Burns is a lot more accomplished of a grappler than Lee for a reason and he wouldn't expand as much energy on top, but, who knows, maybe one day we'll get to see it.

I think Burns is a lot more accomplished of a grappler than Lee for a reason and he wouldn't expand as much energy on top, but, who knows, maybe one day we'll get to see it.

Maybe, but by then time may have actually caught up with Tony too. Burns is more accomplished than Lee outside the cage for sure with his grappling, but look at Lee inside the cage. I literally cannot think of one time that he's been outgrappled early in a fight. Not once. He has a shitty gas tank yeah and it's always going to hold him back. But look at the guys he's dominated in round 1 with his grappling: Tony, Chiesa, RDA, Iaquinta, etc. etc. Lee is an absolute BEAST until he tires.

Back