News Tom Aspinall will defend his Interim Heavyweight title in a rematch against Curtis Blaydes at UFC 304 in Manchester, July 27

Who wins?

• Total voters
After the injury in their last match it never really had a chance to get started. I think it's great so we can see how Aspinall handles wrestling before potentially Jones.

Good point.

But if Tom wins, no way Jones will fight him.

Btw, for the record, this is Tom Aspinall defending the 'interim title' while jon jones the champion is in camp training right now, for a fight against stipe that's not even official.

For all intents and purposes it is for the real title.

Stipe and Jon will retire after they fight... they are irrelevant for the division. There is thus no practical difference between this interim title and the real title.
You may be right, but the mystery i've been wondering is what happens to the interim title if jones vs stipe does take place?

That would mean aspinall cannot be interim champ and cannot have a title defense... in theory. You cannot 'defend' a title that does not exist.

The way this doesn't happen is if jones beats stipe, retires, and then the ufc promotes aspinall to official champ with 1 title defense.

Good point.

But if Tom wins, no way Jones will fight him.
I dunno. I know people claim he wouldn't, but I could see it. Aspinall isn't some BJJ phenom off his back and his wrestling is mid. Depends if Jones has real bad injuries he's tired of.

Well at the end this fight should be for the real title. It's sad that the best hw fighters nowadays cannot fight for the title.

Aspinall is NOT the HW Champ, and he needs to actually beat Blaydes to prove the first fight (he lost) was no fluke.
Aspinall would be trying to prove the first was a fluke. The only way to prove the first fight wasn’t a fluke is for him to lose the rematch lol

This make sense considering their history. It's unfinished business. Great call by the UFC and Dana.

I'm glad for Blaydes. He was for a long time a guy who probably should have gotten a title shot, but for running into the fist of Francis twice. Would've been better before he got outhought by Derrick Lewis, lol, or TKOd by the guy Aspinall flattened in a minute to get that belt-like substance he's defending. But at least happening now it gives a sort of rationale, what with his "win" over Aspinall. And though Tom probably still is pining for a reunification, at least he gets the chance to avenge his injury.

No but I'd definitely bet Blaydes could beat Gane just like Jones did to get his belt.

Shame Jones has no interest in fighting real contenders just like GSP with his gimmick MW belt.

GSP was the saviour of the MW division.
Bisping was killing time looking for vanity matchups and GSP took his belt, vacated and blessed us with a freed up division.

I get you're hating, and wanting to see GSP smashed, but the fact he vacated, retired and stuck to it, saved us years of bullshit at the top.

Reactions: HCS
This is what's likely to happen: Dana has been going back on his word about "the UFC always makes the best fights, unlike boxing!" to placate Jon Jones and give him an easy HW title defense to cement his "legacy" and him and Stipe retire :rolleyes:

Most of the fans know this is a sham and Aspinall is the true #1 contender who Jones is content to duck.

Jones will probably get arrested, pop on a drug test, get injured or just plain back out. This will cause Dana to blow a gasket and start bad mouthing Jones like he did Francis. A couple of years go by without a real HW champ and Dana goes off Ozempic and gains 40 lbs back and starts drinking heavily.

For all intents and purposes it is for the real title.

Stipe and Jon will retire after they fight... they are irrelevant for the division. There is thus no practical difference between this interim title and the real title.
Just make their fight for the "GOAT Belt" or "Legends Belt" or some other gay shit and let the division move on.

I hope Tom wins. If he loses then most of the people will get off the bandwagon.

The interim belt existing in the first place is a weird thing in this situation. It's probably there so Aspinall can get PPV points for headlining an event. Interims are made for the purpose to unify the belts later. Technically the second Jones fought another opponent like Stipe. The interim belt becomes void.

Back