To Fighters: Your mental preparation?

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Sorry, I know this belongs in ask the fighters, but I can't make threads in there.

I was just wondering how you amateur and pro fighters prepare yourselves mentally for a fight. Do you pump yourself up? Do you stay calm? What do you think about? What do you prepare for?

Everyone has their own process. Some guys get really worked up and emotional, other guys have superstitions and if they have so much as a sweaty towl out-of-place they feel like they'll lose, and still other get real stone-cold and don't like to talk to anyone or even so much as move before warming up.

I think I personally have always been the latter. The last thing I want before a fight is human-contact. Unless it's someone I trust enough that they won't attempt to infiltrate my focus. I like to do the traiditonal Bushido meditation regarding Death, picturing every worst possible outcome of the fight. This is very cathartic, but it allows me to go in with a clear conscience no matter what happens. I block out everything, including my opponents. It's not a wether I will or will not kick his ass. It's that I've ALREADY kicked his ass in my head. The work has been done, that's what training is for. Everything should work like a machine, flip the switch and it happens, no hesitation, no second-guessing. If he counters the initial plan, that I am not really thinking in-the-first place allows for the paradox of being a thinking fighter. Adaptability. Because the motions are like mechanisms and not really based on effort or a thought-process, you're free to invent and change directions.

The opponent is nothing more than an obstacle, a job to be done to me. Like as if I were a wrecking ball and he is a wall destined to crumble.

King Kabuki said:
Everyone has their own process. Some guys get really worked up and emotional, other guys have superstitions and if they have so much as a sweaty towl out-of-place they feel like they'll lose, and still other get real stone-cold and don't like to talk to anyone or even so much as move before warming up.

I think I personally have always been the latter. The last thing I want before a fight is human-contact. Unless it's someone I trust enough that they won't attempt to infiltrate my focus. I like to do the traiditonal Bushido meditation regarding Death, picturing every worst possible outcome of the fight. This is very cathartic, but it allows me to go in with a clear conscience no matter what happens. I block out everything, including my opponents. It's not a wether I will or will not kick his ass. It's that I've ALREADY kicked his ass in my head. The work has been done, that's what training is for. Everything should work like a machine, flip the switch and it happens, no hesitation, no second-guessing. If he counters the initial plan, that I am not really thinking in-the-first place allows for the paradox of being a thinking fighter. Adaptability. Because the motions are like mechanisms and not really based on effort or a thought-process, you're free to invent and change directions.

The opponent is nothing more than an obstacle, a job to be done to me. Like as if I were a wrecking ball and he is a wall destined to crumble.

That was a cool read. Nice post. I don't fight so I have no real input.

yeah, eveybody has their own way of getting prepared for a fight/competition.

As for me, I try to stay calm. I just look at it as a game. I try to go through every scenario in my head and try to stay level headed. I know some people liked to get hyped up and rowdy but thats just not me.

calmness before the storm... i want to be soo relaxed i dont think about my fight.. i play video games like crazy.. and jsut prepare..

focus on what you can control.. your conditioning.. if you train hard.. and have the will to train the will to fight will come"- vitor

mrhappie45 said:
focus on what you can control.. your conditioning.. if you train hard.. and have the will to train the will to fight will come"- vitor

which Vitor said that? belfort or ribeiro?

Like Kabuki said everyone is different. I like to try and calm myself down as much as possible, I talk to everyone around me as casually as I can, try and take my mind off it to dull the nerves. On the other hand in my last fight I could hear my opponent yelling and having his trainers pump him up as much as possible. It showed in the fight to, he came out like a ball of fire going forward the whole time while I was more methodical and he stunned me quite a bit in the start but once I got the hang of his style I dropped him. So if I had to give advice it would be try and calm yourself down but at the same time don't get to relaxed because the nerves keep you alert.

Mental preparation for me is about the 8 weeks I train before hand. During that time I bust balls and by the time its time to taper i feel so mentally and physically drained...but after taking it easy for 10 or so I feel great and ready to fight.

I just think of it as fighting, like a sparring match petty much. As long as I know I trained hard and improved im happy win or lose. I remeber my last fight I was very calm, I went out to lunch that day with my brother and some friends and I felt so relaxed wasnt even nervous really and my brother goes "you wouldn't be able to tell by lookin at you that you'd be fighting in a couple of hours."

Thats a couple of hours before though. Once you get in the ring your adrenaline is going crazy, and your instincts just take over pretty much. So pretyt much my mental preparation is knowing I did everything i could possibly do for the fight.

Eduardo R. said:
So if I had to give advice it would be try and calm yourself down but at the same time don't get to relaxed because the nerves keep you alert.

best piece of advice i've heard in years. plus i think that also goes with other aspects of life as well.

I use music as an integral part of my prep for a fight, on the way I play some and try to start fairly relaxed and build as I get to the venue. While I'm warming up I like to stay on my own and shadowbox while going through visualisations of my plan for the fight, by this point ive generally got Prodigy on my headphones, this both helps to amp me up as well as shutting out distractions.

The state of mind I'm aiming for is to be really hyped up and ready to go out there rip into my opponent while remaining as calm as possible. Sounds contradictory I know but the best way I can describe it is as a sort of focused rage.

the week before hand all i do when im not training is visualize my fights, while i sleep i dream of how i will counter and destroy my opponent. Leading up to the fight i am not worried because i know that i have trained hard and gone through all the scenarios in my head. I then like to get some tune that amps me up going, specifically Darkest Hour ive found works real good. I then start bouncin like a friggin jackhammer and have my partner slap me across the face a few times cuz i never wake up till i get hit hard. Then as soon as the bell sounds all i do is everything ive thought of the past week.

I laugh and joke around more than ususal to keep myself easy around other people. At home I'm quiet, just keeping my thoughts together, watch inspirational movies, eat and chill.
On the day, usually got walkman on listen to music and avoid talking to anybody.
As soon as I step into ring and see my opponent, I KNOW he is mine and I will smash and maim, or die trying. Job done. I save all the aggression and adrenaline til I get in there and start smashing.

I know guys that are either sleeping before a fight or in the toilet shitting and vomitting.

Im honestly pretty relaxed before a fight which kinda worries me sometimes..but im relaxed before and during..even when I get hit..some people get REALLY angry but if your used to it then its par for the course

I am turn into an asshole about two weeks befoe the fight and thinking about my opponent consumes me. I dont think about anything but hurting the guy in front of me. I think about putting my fist through his fucking face and stopping his heart with a bodyshot. I even have dreams about killing the poor fucker. this all gets me ready to go to war. I am a pretty nice guy most of the time but during my two weeks of mental prep I am a huge asshole and dont like anyone and I am very quick to anger. Last week was my last week of sparring and both my sparring partners quit because I was going to hard. One rabbit punched me so when we got seperated fromt he clinch the first thing I did was hit him with a full on power punch nut shot. The partner was dancing around the ring to much so I tied up with him and shoulder checked his chin and pushed him on his ass and hit him 5 times after the bell lol. I am ready to go balls to the wall now and I willl feel apologize to whoever afterwards

Vilo Magee said:
I am turn into an asshole about two weeks befoe the fight and thinking about my opponent consumes me. I dont think about anything but hurting the guy in front of me. I think about putting my fist through his fucking face and stopping his heart with a bodyshot. I even have dreams about killing the poor fucker. this all gets me ready to go to war. I am a pretty nice guy most of the time but during my two weeks of mental prep I am a huge asshole and dont like anyone and I am very quick to anger. Last week was my last week of sparring and both my sparring partners quit because I was going to hard. One rabbit punched me so when we got seperated fromt he clinch the first thing I did was hit him with a full on power punch nut shot. The partner was dancing around the ring to much so I tied up with him and shoulder checked his chin and pushed him on his ass and hit him 5 times after the bell lol. I am ready to go balls to the wall now and I willl feel apologize to whoever afterwards

LOL, and they call Jermain Taylor "Bad Intentions?"

Iceman5592 said:
LOL, and they call Jermain Taylor "Bad Intentions?"
Sure you wanna be a fighter? LOL just messing with you

SmashiusClay said:
I use music as an integral part of my prep for a fight, on the way I play some and try to start fairly relaxed and build as I get to the venue. While I'm warming up I like to stay on my own and shadowbox while going through visualisations of my plan for the fight, by this point ive generally got Prodigy on my headphones, this both helps to amp me up as well as shutting out distractions.

The state of mind I'm aiming for is to be really hyped up and ready to go out there rip into my opponent while remaining as calm as possible. Sounds contradictory I know but the best way I can describe it is as a sort of focused rage.

+1

I wouldn't actually fight in a profight but this is the approach i use before perfoming stand-up comedy which there are some similiarites in approaching a performance and fighting in a competition in terms of handling focus, energy levels, and the mental aspect of dealing w/pressure...(when it comes to fighting i'm more of urban/suburban/commando, farthest i'll go is sparring, i study JKD,-much respect though to the people who pursue this however)

lol you sound like a dick Vilo

He's got an old school mentality. Sportsmanship is fine for some guys, and runs rampant in MMA these days more times than not, but Boxers in-general aren't big on hugging and crying after their fights. I know Vilo personally and know if we ever fight, we'd be cool in the aftermath, but in the pre-fight stages you can rest-assured there'd be yelling, threats, someone's trainer would probably get bitch-slapped, chairs thrown at press-conferences, a gun or two might get pulled, plenty of spitting and whatnot, and all-in-all you'd get the impression it was going to be a war, and it SHOULD be. lol

Vilo Magee said:
Sure you wanna be a fighter? LOL just messing with you

Lol. Well you know Jermain got that nickname from his sparring sessions. He would beat the shit out of his sparring partners, and his trainer asked "Why do you spar with such bad intentions?" But I never heard about full on nut shots. Haha.

Back