To Fighters: Your mental preparation?

Lol. Well you know Jermain got that nickname from his sparring sessions. He would beat the shit out of his sparring partners, and his trainer asked "Why do you spar with such bad intentions?" But I never heard about full on nut shots. Haha.

You're young yet homie. Remember the man rabbit-punched Vilo, which is an ILLEGAL technique. In Boxing gyms trainers take on more of Fatherly roles and their mentality is if you can't take care of yourself they're damn sure not going to intervene on your behalf. This is only in the gym of course, but there's a bit of it in real fights, too. If a man cheats, you cheat him back! You can't let him think he can get away with that shit. Like Kostya Tszyu and Ricky Hatton. Tszyu low-blowed Hatton, couple rounds later Hatton returned the favor. Else you end up like Fernando Vargas against Felix Trinidad, Vargas ate about 7 nut-shots in that fight, but it's his own damn fault. He let Trinidad get away with the first one.

King Kabuki said:
You're young yet homie. Remember the man rabbit-punched Vilo, which is an ILLEGAL technique. In Boxing gyms trainers take on more of Fatherly roles and their mentality is if you can't take care of yourself they're damn sure not going to intervene on your behalf. This is only in the gym of course, but there's a bit of it in real fights, too. If a man cheats, you cheat him back! You can't let him think he can get away with that shit. Like Kostya Tszyu and Ricky Hatton. Tszyu low-blowed Hatton, couple rounds later Hatton returned the favor. Else you end up like Fernando Vargas against Felix Trinidad, Vargas ate about 7 nut-shots in that fight, but it's his own damn fault. He let Trinidad get away with the first one.

Lol. Well I did notice that part. I meant the whole thing jokingly anyways. Vilo definitely has his own way to go about things. From his posts that I've read, he really like to stick to old school stuff, and that's really cool. Sounds like a tough MF'er, and what he does seems to work for him. I wouldn't try to put down what he does. After all, I started the thread asking people what they do, so I could keep an open mind.

I just thought the groin punch was funny. So I felt like I had to bring bad intentions in there.

On an semi-related topic, the most fun part of the Knockout Kings series for Playstation was when you could headbutt, elbow, and groin punch. Something about that just makes me laugh.

Oh they're totally hilarious. But even funnier is something that happened to Vilo himself. If you're faster and have better footwork than some of the old vets, they'll punch you on the hips and thighs. Couple rounds later you're limping around the ring and they're pelting you with punches. Then when you ask them what was up with the leg-punching they just say:

"Had to slow you down somehow kid."

I am a bigtime dick when it comes to getting ready to fight.
I am very old school also always will be but it has paid off. I dont have natural athletic ability like a lot of guys I am medium fast, not a huge puncher all that shit but when it comes to fighting I am better than most for one reason-I try to kill my opponent whether it is prefight sparring or during the fight if you are across from me I am trying to hit you enough that you will quit if this means a nut shot so be it, if this means and elbow so be it if this means a headbutt so be it but in the end you are either gunna knock me out, kill me or I am gunna knock you out or kill you. Most guys arent willing to do all that but the ones who do are champs look at Bhop he is old school as they come look how long he held the title, Marciano=old school, Frazier=old school, ect.

I try to stay as calm as i can. Don't try and get rid of the nerves though....you're about to fight!

King Kabuki said:
He's got an old school mentality. Sportsmanship is fine for some guys, and runs rampant in MMA these days more times than not, but Boxers in-general aren't big on hugging and crying after their fights. I know Vilo personally and know if we ever fight, we'd be cool in the aftermath, but in the pre-fight stages you can rest-assured there'd be yelling, threats, someone's trainer would probably get bitch-slapped, chairs thrown at press-conferences, a gun or two might get pulled, plenty of spitting and whatnot, and all-in-all you'd get the impression it was going to be a war, and it SHOULD be. lol

so do you think you'd whoop vilo's ass? :icon_twis

I think we'd both end up in dual Hospital beds probably. A-la Gatti/Ward.

i don't think there's any need to pump yourself up. usually you'll be pumped up naturally.

it's like everything else though that you want to find the right arousal(if you've taken soem psych). since too much or little is uaually not good for purformance and it varies.

In the few compititions I did, I basically kept to myself. Thought about the fight, how it could go, techniques, weaknesses. I usually had some light music play in the background to keep my mind at ease. Meditate for a little bit and give a prayer.

Mine was simple but it helped me relax and not get tense before the fight.

Back