Tj was hit with too many clean power shots in too short a time , the referee had to step in

Sherdog needs to change its standards for a decisive finish from "Yeah, he's not getting those brain cells back" to "ok this guy is probably done."

If there was no ref and this scenario played out on the street, TJ would be getting wheeled away on a stretcher.

I was a fan of TJs until last night and his total classlessness. Saying he didn’t get beat and it was an early stoppage and all what a salty pussy. Henry soaked about 10 shots to your dome, you got folded 2-3 times and finished from top mount still eating shots. You lost as decisively as you pretty much can.

Goggle Cheick Kongo vs Pat Barry my friend

Seeing someone “flop and limp” and the other person being in position to keep hitting them does not mean the fight is over

Not everyone can come back like that, more often than not the fighter won't come back.

Protecting the fighters comes first. Letting the fight go on because you want another "kongo moment" is dumb.

Yes, he was rocked, but is it OK to stop championship when someone gets rocked? I have seen guys comeback from worse and win many times. Lando had Tony Ferguson rocked........
Yes, but they were not on the ground taking shots. Tony was standing in queer street but standing. Same thing with the Pettis fight he was grounded, but got up, and not knocked down again, he was wobbly but up. TJ was downed 3 times.

Yes, he was rocked, but is it OK to stop championship when someone gets rocked? I have seen guys comeback from worse and win many times. Lando had Tony Ferguson rocked........
its okay when the fighter isn't reasonably defending themselves . tj got knocked down like 3 times in 15 seconds and was just taking shot after shot without doing anything

It probably wouldn’t have changed the outcome but I think they should have given them a few more seconds, seemed like dillashaw was still in it

Still in it? He was never in it. Henry pounced on him from the get go and beat the fuck out of him. He was on the floor, on queer street, being slapped around when it was stopped, he was hardly "still in it".

Having said that I would have liked it to continue for another few seconds to erase all doubt, as we've seen fighters come back from worse. I think the ref err'd on the side of caution due to the weight cut perhaps.

Ultimately though it was not a bad stoppage, the ref's job is to protect the fighter and prevent unnecessary damage, and there was a 99.9% chance the only thing that would have happened if the fight continued is TJ continuing to get beaten senseless by Henry.

Bottom gif definitely shows TJ shooting for a leg while the ref steps in

Can’t stand TJ, hope he gets KO’d worse in his next fight, but that’s a bad stoppage
Shooting for a leg while eating an endless stream of punches isn't intelligently defending yourself. You get hit on the way in or something thats fine but if you are dropped and the person is just unloading on your face and you go fuck lets grab a leg instead of trying to block, dodge, or stop the punches from hitting you in the face you are done. Henry through 12 punches and landed all 12 without TJ doing anything to stop it but reach for a leg after the 11th punch in a row hit. THE FIGHT WAS DONE. Not happy about it. Was short and anti clamatic. A huge let down but not a bad stoppage.

What I hate most about these stoppage arguments is when people act like the position that the fighters were in at the moment of the stoppage was part of the natural flow of the fight.

You could barely call that a single leg attempt with the ref's intervention. If the ref hadn't stepped in, there's no way that position would have been held.
Exactly this^ that was no single leg, that was a half conscious brain trying to stop the beating.

What I hate most about these stoppage arguments is when people act like the position that the fighters were in at the moment of the stoppage was part of the natural flow of the fight.

You could barely call that a single leg attempt with the ref's intervention. If the ref hadn't stepped in, there's no way that position would have been held.
If anything his arm was hooked in the leg of an Olympic champion who had his back, that's a terrible position to be in even if you aren't rocked.

BJPennvs.JensPulvernew.gif

Tj wasn't that hurt. Just dazed and flailing to get out of that swarm. Virtually nothing clean landed in the last sequence on the ground.

we know tj has been rocked to the core before and still came back to win.

Most likely Henry got him proper in the end but who knows? Maybe tj recovered?

Shit stoppage

Dude was not coming back, it was over it sucks for TJ fans, but just like you guys were gloating over his victories over neck tat, 'tis is done son!
Its subjective of course, but I still think the ref could've let it go a bit longer. Its a big fight, it needed a more decisive finish.
Another ten or fifteen seconds could've made the difference either way.
Kongo vs Barry is a good example of a ref letting a fight go to its natural conclusion.

When Henry pushed him off and TJ went down so easily. I said to myself "Fight is over" TJ is so weak from that cut. Strong as hell at 35. Not at 25.. Stupid decision TJ..

Cejudo is a fucking Olympic gold medalist. You think that he's going to get taken down by a guy on queer street flailing with his arm?

If the ref hadn't have stepped in, Cejudo would have had TJ's back.

The last couple of shots in that sequence missed, but he'd already been hit hard and dropped multiple times. The ref made the decision to step in after the last KD.
Predictions don't come into the decision to stop a fight. That is highly dubious 'logic' on your part. What has been made clear by the reaction to this fight is the stoppage was controversial and therefore cannot be deemed acceptable. A moving opponent is still actively trying to avoid strikes. He was not flatlined or prone. People are annoyed because it is a bad stoppage. Don't let your bias cloud what judgement you have.

The only reason it appeared early was because of the INSANE speed of cejudo..

OffbeatExhaustedGharial-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

It is still not a great stoppage. TJ should have been allowed to really get KO'd. This is what he signed up for. He does not need to be babied in there..

Ref tripped and fell into them. Cejudo interpreted this as a stoppage and the ref had to go with it.

;)

Damn, people be like but tj still has a pulse, it’s not fair.

Maybe not early stoppage, but inopportune stoppage.

I think about 3 seconds before that when Cejudo was wailing on him TJ was out, but one of them woke him up and he was starting to try to scramble again. Against a wrestler the quality of Cejudo, it would've just delayed the inevitable.
predictions don't matter.

Damn, people be like but tj still has a pulse, it’s not fair.
This is twisting reality into a new series of events, very weird. How many stoppages do you see when the person that loses is as active as TJ was in movement. Very few and many of those from the years gone by that were were also controversial for the right same reason: poor stoppage.

Back