• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Tito vs Mezger 1 - two fights in one

B
Tito got fucked over in that fight. And it should never be forgotten that Guy Metzger ducked their rematch around UFC 50 because he had 'stroke like symptoms"....

Whatever.

That shit never stopped Tito, just sayin...
An actual Tito fan I've heard of you guys but like Bigfoot never see you guys.

I think it was more about perception of karate forms, and was a reverse reaction to the past, when so many fewer people knew anything about martial arts that it was actuslly not uncommon for people to mention that nonsense about hands being registered as deadly weapons (there were even movies that alluded to this crap).

Although if you're talking about opinions of actual competitors, well, Ken is insane, so there's that. Remember when he coached TUF and kept demanding more weight lifting days from his team? He's just a jacked white boy.

I think there definitely was an overall societal phase somewhere during and beyond the 90s when people in general flipped their opinion and began to view karate as some laughable McDojo scam, as opposed to the 80s, when it was all shrouded in the mystery and provoked awe. LOL!

For what it's worth, it's simply the execution of the training. A tae kwon do instructor might spend their days teaching kids form, and wind up producing dozens of ballerinas, but if you strategically mix that technical instruction with practical application, sparring and endurance training, then you can instill the understanding of how to utilize those techniques effectively. Ok, I'm done rambling. Time for breakfast.
Agreed. The kind of karate that is all katas and slow-motion form may bring a number of benefits to the individual, but unfortunately, self-defense will not be one of them. Like Bruce Lee said, you have to get in the water if you want to swim; free styling is the only way to really improve in that area.

There are a lot of effective techniques from karate used by guys like Machida, Jones, and GSP. For another example, I learned the superman punch in a TMA class in 1980, so I am thinking that TMA is where it came from. There are definitely good moves not available in kickboxing or boxing.

Agreed. The kind of karate that is all katas and slow-motion form may bring a number of benefits to the individual, but unfortunately, self-defense will not be one of them. Like Bruce Lee said, you have to get in the water if you want to swim; free styling is the only way to really improve in that area.

There are a lot of effective techniques from karate used by guys like Machida, Jones, and GSP. For another example, I learned the superman punch in a TMA class in 1980, so I am thinking that TMA is where it came from. There are definitely good moves not available in kickboxing or boxing.

Definitely. I mean, there are also so many moves in various arts which share roots in others. I mean, even in karate today, you will encounter many techniques taught in schools which are Judo techniques (despite them supposedly being a specific form of karate). Goshi throws such as harai goshi, O goshi, etc, are bread and butter along with those sweeps which Machida used so fluently, when they're taught to be a part of ones repertoire. Nonethrless, many of them might more specifically be Judo techniques. At the end of the day, practical success is important, alongside a tradition of technique.

Back