• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Tito vs Mezger 1 - two fights in one

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
Great old skool fight

This is basically actually two fights in one.
Tito is battering Mezger on the ground with control and legal knees to the head at the time, Mezger getting hurt bad and cut and on the verge of being stopped, even looks like he possibly taps...then McCarthy stops the fight, but instead of giving the win to Tito calls a doctor check to clean up the cut...then returns them to their feet instead of the same position where Tito was maybe a few seconds from winning.

This is basically then the second fight and Mezger catches Tito with a guillotine.

Overall a great battle even though Tito actually got screwed but props to Mezger he is a tough SOB. Also went in with one glove and one bare knuckle fist.

Tito got fucked over in that fight. And it should never be forgotten that Guy Metzger ducked their rematch around UFC 50 because he had 'stroke like symptoms"....

Whatever.

That shit never stopped Tito, just sayin...
He rematched Tito and got stopped.

You can't say he 'ducked' the trilogy he literally retired due to neurological stroke like symptoms you can't mess about with that it's not safe to keep going.

Tito got fucked over in that fight. And it should never be forgotten that Guy Metzger ducked their rematch around UFC 50 because he had 'stroke like symptoms"....

Whatever.

They'd already met in a rematch, years prior, and by UFC 50 Mezger had retired, so to say that he "ducked" anyone is basically just a troll comment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Mezger, in his first UFC fight, who had a gentlemans agreement with his opponent, that there would be no hair pulling? If I remember right, Mezger and his opponent both had real long hair. They made a pact, that neither would pull hair in their fight. I loved the early years of MMA. It's pretty cool, to be old enough to have seen the evolution of MMA in real time. Mezger was a Lions Den legend!

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Metzger, in his first UFC fight, who had a gentlemans agreement with his opponent, that there would be no hair pulling? If I remember right, Metzger and his opponent both had real long hair. They made a pact, that neither would pull hair in their fight. I loved the early years of MMA. It's pretty cool, to be old enough to have seen the evolution of MMA in real time. Metzger was a Lions Den legend!
There sure was. He was one of my favorite fighters and Shamrocks star pupil which I believe harmed his career and benefited ken more than anything. I always found it odd about people thinking Karate sucks even in the old days. Keith Hackney and Mezger were both Karate experts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Mezger, in his first UFC fight, who had a gentlemans agreement with his opponent, that there would be no hair pulling? If I remember right, Mezger and his opponent both had real long hair. They made a pact, that neither would pull hair in their fight. I loved the early years of MMA. It's pretty cool, to be old enough to have seen the evolution of MMA in real time. Mezger was a Lions Den legend!
He was the guy to give all the big stars really good fights like Chuck, Tito and even wanderlei who headbutted him wen he had him against the ropes. japanese loved some axe murdering so of course they let is slide.

Mezger is often only remembered by the hardcore but I loved his style.
Fairly sure he gave Wand a run for his money. After a headbutt?

Wanderlei clearly headbutted him after being out struck and then got the finish. Also Ken made him quit in the Sakuraba fight. Guy had to deal with a lot of bullshit in his career.

I ran into Guy.

The fights with Rogerio and Arona were really close. A lot of peeps thought the Arona SD was a bad call.

Both Lil Nog and Arona were top 5 staples and had he been given those decisions, his career would've been very different, although can't do much against neurological damage.

He was doing good. Looked to be in good spirits and health.

There sure was. He was one of my favorite fighters and Shamrocks star pupil which I believe harmed his career and benefited ken more than anything. I always found it odd about people thinking Karate sucks even in the old days. Keith Hackney and Mezger were both Karate experts.

I think it was more about perception of karate forms, and was a reverse reaction to the past, when so many fewer people knew anything about martial arts that it was actuslly not uncommon for people to mention that nonsense about hands being registered as deadly weapons (there were even movies that alluded to this crap).

Although if you're talking about opinions of actual competitors, well, Ken is insane, so there's that. Remember when he coached TUF and kept demanding more weight lifting days from his team? He's just a jacked white boy.

I think there definitely was an overall societal phase somewhere during and beyond the 90s when people in general flipped their opinion and began to view karate as some laughable McDojo scam, as opposed to the 80s, when it was all shrouded in the mystery and provoked awe. LOL!

For what it's worth, it's simply the execution of the training. A tae kwon do instructor might spend their days teaching kids form, and wind up producing dozens of ballerinas, but if you strategically mix that technical instruction with practical application, sparring and endurance training, then you can instill the understanding of how to utilize those techniques effectively. Ok, I'm done rambling. Time for breakfast.

Whatever.

Mezger then got screwed in Pride pretty good vs Sakuraba.

I think it was more about perception of karate forms, and was a reverse reaction to the past, when so many fewer people knew anything about martial arts that it was actuslly not uncommon for people to mention that nonsense about hands being registered as deadly weapons (there were even movies that alluded to this crap).

Although if you're talking about opinions of actual competitors, well, Ken is insane, so there's that. Remember when he coached TUF and kept demanding more weight lifting days from his team? He's just a jacked white boy.

I think there definitely was an overall societal phase somewhere during and beyond the 90s when people in general flipped their opinion and began to view karate as some laughable McDojo scam, as opposed to the 80s, when it was all shrouded in the mystery and provoked awe. LOL!

For what it's worth, it's simply the execution of the training. A tae kwon do instructor might spend their days teaching kids form, and wind up producing dozens of ballerinas, but if you strategically mix that technical instruction with practical application, sparring and endurance training, then you can instill the understanding of how to utilize those techniques effectively. Ok, I'm done rambling. Time for breakfast.
Nah it was a good read. I trained a bunch of stuff back in the day and found more often than not it's the fighter and quality instruction which would include vigorous sparring than the style itself. I couldn't get aikido to work with much practical application and most Chinese martial arts have non sense that doesn't work. I took belts with a grain of salt over that unless we are talking BJJ

Back