Tired Of Being The Same

rickdog

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Many people who frequent the S&P boards talk a big game about lifting (myself included at times) but we fail to see true results when it comes to strength. We look for all these new methods and new answers when the answers have been infront of our eyes since before we were born. I am tired, as I am sure many of you are, of sticking to the same weights and trying all this new BS writtne by people here which works no better than anything else. The only wey we are going to be truly bigger and stronger men is by !)LIfting Heavy, 2)Using Compound Movements 3)eating properly (4 Seeking advice from people who are already therer, not the people who have a new theory every weekand #(5 and quit possibly the most important DEDICATION.

The second you have a bad workout does not mean your workout is not working. Even if you have a bad week, maybe your body is telling you it is time to take a week off. Don't always be looking for an excuse suh as "Im a hard gainer" because that does not fly with me and many others who put in the time and effort to get where they are. Suck it up and do it.

This Thread is not just for those who want to be powerlifters hut also for those who want to be in MMA and strongman (Bobybuilding :eek::eek::eek:s need not apply). Suck it up, quit with the excuses and do it. Work hard and smart. There are plenty of different templates on here that are proven to work. Plenty of the strong more knowledgeable men make themselves available to answer questions quite frequently, not to mention the numerous templates there are in the stickies.

The point of this thread is not to bemean to people but rather to light a fire under some of your asses. Your weights stay the same for month after month and you've always got some kind of other excues when in reality the majority probably has to do with one minor tweak and a true understanding what Dedication and "GIVING IT YOUR ALL MEANS". Now go and do it guys. Lets not make this some :eek::eek::eek:gy room with a bunch of the same old whiners with same old questions and same old questions whining around. Lets make thie a room where serious athletes who want to be the best they can possibly be come and stay and seek information, a room where we can motivate each other and help each other out along the way.

Sorry for the long rant guys but I hope most of you agree. Lets do this!!!

Good point Rickdog.

I've been slacking and moping lately so I need to get back to work.

Hey guys, sorry if this has been written before, it was not been written by me. Thanks for the encouragement. It cant be stated enough. Besides if it has been posted before, nothing has been done about it so Suck if UP and do it. Enough of the whimpering about how this has been done. try writin something constructive and make some gains for once.

It's true as can be, and I can't believe you guys are flaming him for it just because it's been said before.

The truth is a lot of people DO forget, even the very best, that the majority of the time going "back to basics" yeilds the best results. Gee wonder why? Because it works.

Rickdog is right, a lot of people get their eyes set on some "magic" routine, thats gonna make their punches twice as hard, or turn them into Fedor Emelianenko overnight. By being "sport specific", and not you know, what those dirty, fat powerlifters do.

Well what powerlifters do is get stronger, and sometimes bigger. Most of you need to get bigger and damn near ALL of you need to get stronger.

CarnalSalvation said:
It's true as can be, and I can't believe you guys are flaming him for it just because it's been said before.

The truth is a lot of people DO forget, even the very best, that the majority of the time going "back to basics" yeilds the best results. Gee wonder why? Because it works.

Rickdog is right, a lot of people get their eyes set on some "magic" routine, thats gonna make their punches twice as hard, or turn them into Fedor Emelianenko overnight. By being "sport specific", and not you know, what those dirty, fat powerlifters do.

Well what powerlifters do is get stronger, and sometimes bigger. Most of you need to get bigger and damn near ALL of you need to get stronger.
I was just wondering...................

Can you do single legged squats?

You know, I get asked that a lot, and the honest answer is "I don't know". I squat over 2XBW, so if I can't do at least one, it'd because of balance issues I reckon.

And Unlike when Urban asked me if I could do chins and I went and found out while I was all high (parrallel grip was my only option, and yes, I can) and my shoulders hurt for a week, I ain't trying to do a pistol all fucked up.

CarnalSalvation said:
You know, I get asked that a lot, and the honest answer is "I don't know". I squat over 2XBW, so if I can't do at least one, it'd because of balance issues I reckon.

And Unlike when Urban asked me if I could do chins and I went and found out while I was all high (parrallel grip was my only option, and yes, I can) and my shoulders hurt for a week, I ain't trying to do a pistol all fucked up.
Balance meaning stability or leg power between your right and left leg?

Dudes I dont get it. On this board it seems like some people say "darn I only need to get conditioned, bla that powerlifting stuff really suck" and then we have the "darn dude I only need to powerlift, get big as a house, and ehrm well trow in some bag work and I can be the next Frank Shamrock".
For a fighter you need to get both conditioned -and- stronger. It isnt as simple as to say "concentrate on the basics", as a powerlifter would say and focus his entire week around lifting.

What I do agree to is that -when- you are in the gym you should go for the heavy basic big excersices that make you into a big strong boy like Carnal;)

Every fighter that I know put way much more emphasis on conditioning than they do on strength training, some even choose to ignore gym-strength work, but no succesful fighter ignores conditioning, no one!

So what am I saying? Well im not sure, but since this is a forum for fighers (I think thats the thought..) it would make sense to have a combined strength and conditioning forum, since that is what fighters have to do. Combine the two.

Even though conditioning means little to me personally, I am the first to point out conditioning and technique are paramount for fighters. But their are outher boards on sherdog for that, I thought this was the strength and power board?!

Sorry man I dont mean to step over any sacred borders here..;)

Just trying to go "holistic" on yal asses, sweden-gangsta style..

No but seriously, just trowing around the idea that totaly go into "power" mode is propably a mistake as a fighter and that all strength and power work you do have to integrate with the rest of your program.

Very true.

However, most of the posters on this board aren't fighters, but want to be fighters, and/or are in training to be fighters. As a result, I think it would do some of them good to focus on developing one of the athletic attributes they lack in: strength.

But I definately agree that in a fighters program should weights go below more or less everything else.

hey carnal? you every think of trying some stability stuff like pistols and such to increase your stability? being as big as you are i think you could get significantly stronger if you supplemented it with your current routien.

adding to your total body tennsion couldn't hurt could it?

i'll actualy be moving back to the big three once i have mastered all my gaols in bodywieght exercisses. My plan is to hopfuly continue with the bodywiegth stuff and start lifting agian after i can do pistols and elevated handstand pushups with wiegth.

yomon said:
hey carnal? you every think of trying some stability stuff like pistols and such to increase your stability? being as big as you are i think you could get significantly stronger if you supplemented it with your current routien.

adding to your total body tennsion couldn't hurt could it?

that would probably be counterproductive for his lifting.

as for getting stronger, yeah, a back to basics routine can get the job done. but in the context of a larger program, especially with a sport that requires multiple bimotor qualities, back to basics isnt enough, and in a lot of ways, is straight up wrong. if you want to move your training away from your sport and towards strength, by all means go ahead, just keep your goals in mind. a taxing sport specific program can only add so much weights and its very important to keep that in mind.

cockysprinter said:
that would probably be counterproductive for his lifting.

i'm not so sure.

I'm not caliming to be a trainer or to know better then anyone else here, but i did notice a good strength increase in the big three when i was doing both at the same time. Just thought it might be worth consideration.

my thought on it was that his big mover muscles are obviously hugly strong, but could he gain some ground if he were to work those stability muscles some? Could be the difference between a 700lb squat and a 750lb squat if he has more muscles he can call on for absolute strength. this would only hold true, though, if total body tension means anything when it comes to the big three. which i find it hard to belive that it wouldn't because you always use all you muscles in big lifts not just the big movers.

And not to focus on it because that would be counter productive to his goals. but just to add a day or 2.

The point of the original post was not to elevate one form of lifting over another but rather to stick to the basics of what works for YOUR programs. Go Heavy. Add in the cardio if you please. Do What Works Best For YOU and go at it with everything you've got.

I don't care if this thread has been done a million times before. It's time for people to start heeding the advice and starte getting genuing gains. Give your programs long enough to work and stick to the exercises that have proven themselfves over the years to be trustworthy. As far as Cardio, do it if you find it a necessary part of your program.

I dont care if this thread has been done before. It is quite obvious by the similar belleyaching by the aame people that the advice has not been heeded. Lets make the S &: forum exactly that. Not a pussy forum. There are plenty of people on this forum who have what it takes now lets put our collective heads together and DO IT. Asking advice is great but what sucks in my opinion is asking the same advice over and over because you are to pussieish to do it.

For an example , why don't we make some goals in a sticky, maybe some goals from either a month to three from now and lets see some actually improvements inour lifts. I am confident that their are some pretty powerful boys on this sigght that could use a little extra motivation. The goals dont have to be weight related only but they couled be RT contests or grip strenght or tabata goals ect. Just keep the ideas rolling if anyone is interested.

P.s . sorry for the sloppy grammar, it is near 2 o clock here in Boston.

Back