Tired Of Being The Same

rickdog said:
Sounds good Remy! Reakt welcome to the chin comp. 8-10 is good but if more peeps dont come thats fine.

How often are you guys training RT. I am sticking to twice a week now with other various grip work thrown in here and there.

Wasptrash, thanks for your support and input. It's so true. Some people like to throw around all these new terms and come up with all these new methods and in the end what we always come back to is the basics. Im not slamming research, I think it's great, but time is also a great teacher and IMHO I will stick to what i said earlier.

I am only training it once a week...the strain on the back of my shoulders and elbows/biceps from lifting the RT and giving max efforts w/ 120lbs with my 150lb body is very hard on my joints when coupled with intense grappling and other grip stuff.... For me, wrestling comes first, then the fun PR's with the RT, so I think I might just stick to doing it once a week...twice at the most...

I have been training grip quite a bit lately (probably overtraining it). It is the only thing I have trained over the last week with exception of todays back workout.

Anyway, to the question. Does anyone experience alot of pain in their elbow from using the grippers. I have had tendon problem in my elbow and I also popped a capsul in it years ago when I got armbared. Im not sure if it is just because of pre-existing injuries or if anyone else has the same problem. Also some of it could be due to the chin contest but I notice it mostly when using the grippers.

Anyone putting up any new numbers in the RT. I nailed 140 at the end of my last workout rather eaisly. That's ten lbs more then when I started. Ofcourse i am a complete newb at the RT so I expect my gains will come rather quickly.

People normally rush into grip. They get 3 new grippers and train them 5x a day 7 days a week and do hard negatives when previously the only grip work they got was jacking off. At www.gripboard.com there are tons of newbies talking about how their skin hurts, how their elbows hurt, how their wrists hurt, can't sleep at night because of pain etc... So the guys there recommend ice, contrast baths, TONS of rehab/active recovery and crap. All you need is a good warm up and rest. My elbow will hurt if I am not warmed up or I've taken a lot of time off and then go for a hard PR. If I keep on going hard without resting it may start to get aggrivated and then become more of a serious problem. If I squeeze a gripper hard and anything hurts I make sure I"m warm and then maybe do a bit of volume that day then hard negatives the next. I have zero problems now. When I started though shit hurt all the time.

Just warm up and maybe take a bit of time off and do volume.

rickdog said:
I have been training grip quite a bit lately (probably overtraining it). It is the only thing I have trained over the last week with exception of todays back workout.

Anyway, to the question. Does anyone experience alot of pain in their elbow from using the grippers. I have had tendon problem in my elbow and I also popped a capsul in it years ago when I got armbared. Im not sure if it is just because of pre-existing injuries or if anyone else has the same problem. Also some of it could be due to the chin contest but I notice it mostly when using the grippers.

Anyone putting up any new numbers in the RT. I nailed 140 at the end of my last workout rather eaisly. That's ten lbs more then when I started. Ofcourse i am a complete newb at the RT so I expect my gains will come rather quickly.

You son of a .... I'm still at 120. mhm.

Good job on the PR, bro. You're up there with Metropolitan, er, Urban, now.

Huh, thanks for the response. The thing is, I have been training grip for a while now, and I do warm up thoroughly. I also used to work for a moving company, moving households, day in and day out, so my grip was rather strong to start with. This isn't something I just jumped into and decided to kill myself on.

This being said, do you still think im overtraining? What exactly did you do to change your grip workouts that made the pain go away and the workouts more profitable? Thanks in advance!

Diligent, I'm older and heavier than you. For your age and weight you are doing a great job man. Keep up the good work.

rickdog said:
Diligent, I'm older and heavier than you. For your age and weight you are doing a great job man. Keep up the good work.

Word. It's amazing how much of a difference something like 5 lbs can make on that blasted thing...

rickdog said:

Grippers beat up my elbows pretty bad. When I'm trying to up my pressing volume I definitely cut back on my gripper work. Working your extensors will help with some of the elbow pain though!

Thanks Sonny! I have been working my extensors some but not as mcuh as I should. Do you guys think It is worth icing? Also, what specific exercises do you do for your extensors?

rickdog said:
Thanks Sonny! I have been working my extensors some but not as mcuh as I should. Do you guys think It is worth icing? Also, what specific exercises do you do for your extensors?

I use contrast baths going from hot water to ice water back and forth. For extensors I put some rubber bands around my fingers and open my hand. Usually I'll do this throughout the day depending on how hard I'm hitting the grippers, it's easy because you can carry some bands in your pocket.

Thanks Sonny. I too have been using the rubber bands. I will try the contrasting shower and the ice. Hope it works. Any work or progress on the RT Sonny?

rickdog said:
Thanks Sonny. I too have been using the rubber bands. I will try the contrasting shower and the ice. Hope it works. Any work or progress on the RT Sonny?

I'm slowly but surely working my way back up!

For my extensors I put my hand inside a big jar, open my hand, and then lift it. I got one of those huge jugs that are filled with pretzles, I ate all the pretzles and filled it with bending stock. I am only working my extensors at part of the range of motion but I still feel it. I don't like the feel of rubberbands so I don't do that.

If I'm really hitting grippers hard I just use my other hand for resistance. That hits them the best, throughout the whole range of motion, IMO.

Any new updates on the RT lifts boys. I hit 135 today again, easily with my rt hand ( could not get it with my left) and this was after doing deads. I just kept doing sets of 5 with 110 after that.

On a side note. I was working for a moving company today and in the womens basement I saw a sweet weight set. It was a YORK olympic bar with around 235 lbs fo free weight laying around. I offered the women 50$ for the bar and she gave the bar and the weights for free. This gives me a nice new bar without a warp and about 600lbs in olympic free weights. I am psyiched about it. I used it for deads tonight and I love the knurling on the bar. It also felt a tad bit thinner than my old olympic bar. Well thats it from here. I was just lookding for updates. Thanks.

rickdog said:
Any new updates on the RT lifts boys. I hit 135 today again, easily with my rt hand ( could not get it with my left) and this was after doing deads. I just kept doing sets of 5 with 110 after that.

On a side note. I was working for a moving company today and in the womens basement I saw a sweet weight set. It was a YORK olympic bar with around 235 lbs fo free weight laying around. I offered the women 50$ for the bar and she gave the bar and the weights for free. This gives me a nice new bar without a warp and about 600lbs in olympic free weights. I am psyiched about it. I used it for deads tonight and I love the knurling on the bar. It also felt a tad bit thinner than my old olympic bar. Well thats it from here. I was just lookding for updates. Thanks.

I am still at 120...but I didn't get to do the RT this week...this week has been real crazy...I didn't even get to do any complexes or anything, so I hope that doesn't set me back. I got 125 up but I didn't lock out...dah! :(

Back