Tips for New Fighters Starting Out

just went through the tips again...i first read this last january and thought about coming back here to get myself relaxed...i'm set for my first ammy fight in october

best of luck,

I want to take the time to write another good article and I would like some input.

what questions do you have?

I have a question. I've been giving it thought and I want to try my hand at MMA. How long should one prepare themselves in training before making the jump to fighting (amateur and/or professionally)?

I have a question. I've been giving it thought and I want to try my hand at MMA. How long should one prepare themselves in training before making the jump to fighting (amateur and/or professionally)?

there is no right answer to this,

if you are a natural fighter and pick up things quickly its going to be a shorter time frame then if you take longer to learn things etc,

your coaches would know better than I would if your ready or not.

Seriously great post thanks for sharing.

I was going to ask some similar questions but this thread and then the other and you have covered allot of what I wanted to know.

But a request if I may???
This thread seems to be say over a year out from you debut fight, the other seem to be about a fortnight out from the fight. I am wonder what advice you have inbetween those timeframes. (FYI, I set a goal to fight by June next year).

Do you consider a kick boxing fight a must before hand?
plus
A grappling tourney of some descrption?
What sort of weight program and frequency would you advise?

Also any tips of copping kicks,
I don’t get kicked all that much in sparring but when I do its doesn’t really hurt that much, well nothing like it would without shinnies. I have a fear of becoming complacent about it but not keen on sparring without the shinnies (unless its the only way forward).

Finally that exercise ball drill you mentioned (other thread), to me an exercise ball is another name for a swiss ball I assume you are talking a medicine ball, ie basket ball size but heavy. Am I right?

Seriously great post thanks for sharing.

I was going to ask some similar questions but this thread and then the other and you have covered allot of what I wanted to know.

But a request if I may???
This thread seems to be say over a year out from you debut fight, the other seem to be about a fortnight out from the fight. I am wonder what advice you have inbetween those timeframes. (FYI, I set a goal to fight by June next year).

Do you consider a kick boxing fight a must before hand?
plus
A grappling tourney of some descrption?
What sort of weight program and frequency would you advise?

Also any tips of copping kicks,
I don

Thanks for this man.

I'm actually looking into really going hard at MMA training and trying to make something out of it.

I'm 20 and have wrestling experience in junior high and high school

My question really is, is it too late for me, already being twenty, and not really having standout level in anything?

its never too late, I know a lot of guys that had great pro careers and they didn't start training at all until 23 or 24

Hey Josh, great thread.

I have a question for you....I'm training in MMA and I'm struggling with no-gi Jiu Jitsu, I have a nagging shoulder injury and the no-gi seems to always hit me hardest.

Should I switch to the gi and work on my technique?
Or should I train in both gi and no-gi?

Unfortunately the place I train at only offers no-gi.
So if I incorporate gi I will have to train at two different gyms.

Your advice?
Thank you in advance.

Thanks for that, I do have some more follow up questions.

Do you want them in this thread or in the bible?

Oh and just quickly I do a similar drill but do it on a medicene ball, however you aim to land your lead hip (not chest) on the medicene ball. Doesn't hurt to much. However one issue I just thought of is that you are a little more cautious throwing your weight down onto it then you would be a large swishy ball because as you say winding yourself or broken ribs (and they friggin suck).

Nice! Now I know how it looks like when you are about to fight. About the training though, the main issue is finding a partner to practice with. If there's no one available, is it okay to start training with submission dummy? say like submission master grappling dummy?

Hey Josh, great thread.

I have a question for you....I'm training in MMA and I'm struggling with no-gi Jiu Jitsu, I have a nagging shoulder injury and the no-gi seems to always hit me hardest.

Should I switch to the gi and work on my technique?
Or should I train in both gi and no-gi?

Unfortunately the I train at only offers no-gi.
So if I incorporate gi I will have to train at two different gyms.

Your advice?
Thank you in advance.

what exactly is wrong with your shoulder? and why does the no gi seem to hurt more? I don't train in gi jujitsu, I haven't since I was in karate as a kid.

Maybe layoff the jujitsu until you feel better?

Training at one more than one camp can be beneficial for a lot of reasons. Just make sure your trainer is ok with that.

Thanks for that, I do have some more follow up questions.

Do you want them in this thread or in the bible?

Oh and just quickly I do a similar drill but do it on a medicene ball, however you aim to land your lead hip (not chest) on the medicene ball. Doesn't hurt to much. However one issue I just thought of is that you are a little more cautious throwing your weight down onto it then you would be a large swishy ball because as you say winding yourself or broken ribs (and they friggin suck).

You can do your follow up questions in either thread, I don't mind. I will answer them either way.

That does sound like a good drill but like you said, its probably not real time because your dropping down a little more carefully to stop from injuring yourself.

Try the exercise ball drill I mentioned, it will noticeably improve your sprawl and scramble, really help you get back to your feet quicker in a scramble if thats where you want to take the fight

Nice! Now I know how it looks like when you are about to fight. About the training though, the main issue is finding a partner to practice with. If there's no one available, is it okay to start training with submission dummy? say like submission master grappling dummy?

training on your own is alright, nothing beats a good camp with a trainer and partners. You can't emulate things properly on your own. And you will never push yourself to your true potential without someone pushing you.

Back