1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.

Tips for New Fighters Starting Out

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Josh Harley, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Bubblun Brown Belt

i need an honest answer.

i am european and would like to go 2 weeks this summer in the US to train mma.
    more than "train" i want to learn mma, because in my country there aren't good gym.
    i have a solid boxing and muay thai base, so i am not a complete rookie, but my grappling is nonexistent.
    somebody could suggest me a good "visitor friendly" gym?
    i would like a gym where i can stay a lot on the mat with good trainers and not a gym where they tell me: "man, it's 3 hours you are here, you need to gtfo"
    obviously i need a gym with a hotel nearby, because i don't want to visit the country but only training, and obviously the cheaper it is the "vacation" the better.

every response or advice is really appreciate, even the most insignificant, and even about my staying the the States.
    if you want send me a PM.
    thank you kindly.

2. drbolony -El Styles-

So something I know nothing about when it comes to fighting is injuries, lets say you break your hand on someones face,does anyone help you out with your medical bills? Because I'm assuming they'll be much higher than what your getting paid in a small organization.

3. RAMPAGE13 Orange Belt

thanks man! great read!

4. Havamal White Belt

Thanks, Josh Harley. This piece shows the among best of what we can learn on the internet and why sherdog.net rocks.

Osu.

5. alengine** White Belt

Hey Guys! If you're a UFC fan, Jake Shields is going to be in Toronto doing an autograph signing at the Mac's convenience store on Friday September 21!
    144 Dundas St. W. Toronto from 5-7pm!!

6. Matt Reed White Belt

7. Kevza Blue Belt

This really rings true. I remember my first fight i thought i would walk to the victory as i was fit as hell and always sparred great, but obviously none of the guys were full on trying to destroy me lol Big shock when i went in and the guy smashed me real hard with the first punch and i quickly woke up! I guess you only learn from experience but real good info

8. jeah123 White Belt

hi! can you be good inside fighter if you have long arms in boxing??

9. DailyGrindMMA White Belt

sure. but if someone is short and stocky, and you're tall and lenky, play to your strengths.

anyhow, great effin' read. thanks for all the advice

10. jeah123 White Belt

Thanks!!

11. SMcKenzie93 White Belt

I'm preparing a friend for his amateur debut and this article really helped to get a better idea of what is going through his mind. Hopefully in a couple months I can use this info for myself.

12. Strikes Again Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I got a stinger today on a lazy double. I also have my first AM fight on Saturday. Think I'm still good to go?

13. Josh Harley Blue Belt Professional Fighter

14. Josh Harley Blue Belt Professional Fighter

15. Tx Longhorn White Belt

I'm a nobody; however here's a few tips I'd give to those making a run.

1) Your camp is everything. The more you get beat up in practice and training, the less you'll get beat up in the fight itself. It's always better to be the small fish in a big pond than the big fish in the small pond. The talent you train with will help you elevate your game to that next level.

2) Pick your fights wisely. Good friend of mine is a 22 year old pro out of Minnesota. He's what I like to refer to as "every promoter's dream," someone who will fight anyone, any time on the shortest of short notices. Sure, he deserves credit for having stones, but his record is 4-15.. And it's not because he doesn't have the talent, especially on the ground. However between self training and taking these one week/three day notice fights, he's basically become the guy that promoters go to in order to get their showcasers wins. Don't settle for 400 dollars if the fight isn't right.. Settling for 400 now will cost you potentially 1,000 later.

3) Set your goals high, but keep your expectations grounded. I can't begin to tell you how many promotions run shows worldwide weekly. It's a pretty high number. On top of things, these promotions run anywhere from 10-25 (I called an event once that had 24 fights on it) fights per show. You do the math how many people fight in this sport. Facts are, everyone's goal should be to make it to the top, but don't get frustrated if you don't get to the UFC right away.. Or at all. I'd say 10-15 percent of Mixed Martial Artists out there will make it to the UFC. Yet, done right, you still can make money in the sport and a name accordingly.

Just some pointers a few pretty prominent fighters in the sport who are friends of mine gave to me.

16. Gymfighter Orange Belt

Very good info and tips, appreciated Josh!

17. OneToughCookie Blue Belt

Exquisite wording my friend!

18. alphaandomega White Belt

19. AgentBrains White Belt

Thanks for the insight!

20. ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

awesome thread brah