Tips for New Fighters Starting Out

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Josh Harley, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Captain_earth Banned Banned

just wanted to post a topic to ask this question: how long will it take for me to become a professional fighter? I just started out mma training, but I was a state runner-up in wrestling in high school in the state of Oregon, and I played football in college, and I am an elite level athlete. I am 6’2” 215 and probably around 12% bodyfat rn, and I have access to an elite level gym here in Phoenix and I train just about every day. I can bench 225 18 times and my max in deadlift currently is in the mid 500s. I have really no mma experience except for wrestling, but I am willing to give this all my effort for 1-2 years and see where it takes me. Does anyone have any guesses how long it would take for me to get signed on professionally?
    6’1.5” and 212lbs to be more accurate, with a 76 1/2” reach.

2. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Your coach/trainer will tell you when you should get involved. They'll know by your progress.

After a few months both you and your trainer will notice if you're way ahead of everyone else-- that means you're on the fast track, which could be as little as 2 years or slightly less. If not, then you're on the same track as your average guy (or worse) and it may take 4 or 5 years all the way to 8 or more.

Since you already have good wrestling credentials, I'd say it mostly depends on how well you pick up effective striking (especially efficient striking defense). That's the hardest other part to learn. If you pick it up quickly and solidly, you could be competing in a little over a year.

I wouldn't rush it if I were you, you're not old at all. If you start competing with holes in your game it could be devastating to your potential.

3. vladimirvlad MMA is my life

Great read, thanks for posting. You have the knowledge.

4. Shaun Whittinghill White Belt

5. aRogueSaint White Belt

Hey, guys! I've been thinking of making a transition from full contact karate to pro kickboxing or muay thai and I really feel like sherdog's forums could help me out with this thing that worries me most once I decide to go pro.

so uh... How do you guys handle cuts and how long does it take to heal? Will it leave a scar?
    Healthcare is very expensive here at where I live and the company's HMO doesn't cover injuries that were obtained through sports or recreative activities.
    It scares me that I have to pay so much for a stitch when I can't even feed myself.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  6. yokerclown :)

here is a good video on hooks for newer fighters

7. remoku White Belt

This may help...

8. Joel Macdonald White Belt

recently became fascinated with the sport again after not really caring for that many years, was wondering if i wanted to get started and into fighting how would i do it in todays society? you know with the pandemic and all im figuring nothing can be done since everywhere is closed but surely it wont be long right?