Tipping bartenders and waitresses is getting out of hand

I don't like tipping but I'm generous with my tip. I look out for my fellow worker bees. Not tipping isn't going to change things, that'd have to happen on a structural level.

Tipping on pickup orders is always ridiculous idea. You're literally just giving me the food I ordered. I understand tipping when you eat in since you're getting table service to constantly get refills and all that jazz.

I agree. Also, what does everyone do with Take-Out? It's basically the same thing that you mentioned (ordering stuff on your phone or whatever other tool that you're using).

What I mean is if you just arrived at the restaurant and asked for what you wanted on the menu. Afterwards, you waited for the food to leave the oven. Do you have to give any tips in that specific scenario?

I'm asking because the food is basically going straight from the oven to my stomach. Do I still have to give tips to employees that are always getting damaged and ruined by their own jobs?

OP seems on par with the reasons I believe an uncouth and stupid individual may not leave a tip.

lol, seems like an upstanding and educated member of society...

<Dany07>

I just don’t understand. If you guys go out to a nice restaurant or a high end steakhouse you rack up a huge bill and not tip at the end?

That's why I've never been at the bar in my life.

I’ve been bartending for almost 10 yrs, and back when I drank I’d almost always pregame before going out. Hell even bring a little with. So I know where you’re coming from. Tipping is fine, it’s the price of drinks and liquor tax depending on the place that adds up.

i absolutely detest tipping, which is why i usually tip more than is needed.
i just find the face people make when they don't like your tip to be disgusting and i won't allow any shmuck that can't be discrete about how he feels about things to ruin my evening. so here, take twice what i should give you and piss off.

I agree. Also, what does everyone do with Take-Out? It's basically the same thing that you mentioned (ordering stuff on your phone or whatever other tool that you're using).

What I mean is if you just arrived at the restaurant and asked for what you wanted on the menu. Afterwards, you waited for the food to leave the oven. Do you have to give any tips in that specific scenario?

I'm asking because the food is basically going straight from the oven to my stomach. Do I still have to give tips to employees that are always getting damaged and ruined by their own jobs?

A simple litmus test is the following; is the staff expecting tips on take out? If your ordering from primarily a dine-in restaurant a few dollars is standard many times(depends on order size). If you are at McDonalds then no.

To me it depends on scenarios, for example ive tipped very well for a cup of Starbucks when the staff came in during a snowstorm.

At the end of the day most scenarios you don't have to tip. I will say if a place has a douchebag sign though about tips or some low class shit surrounding it they are getting less or nothing in some circumstances.

For fucking real.

We had my younger son's 12th birthday at a bowling alley that my girl's sister was also running/hosting a fundraiser at.

I had $85 dollar bar bill for a few pitchers of beer, and a few rounds of shots. All of 45 seconds of work and gave the bartender a $100 bill and said keep the change and she got all pissy at me and rolled her eyes.

Bitch, you did all of 45 seconds of work for me! Fuck you!
That’s 15%, standard rate. If she was expecting 20% she has either been spoiled by good tippers or is just a spoiled bitch.

I don't have a problem with tipping, although I think it would be better if people got a living wage instead. What I don't understand though, is where is the line drawn for who gets tips? You tip your server/bartender and the person who cuts your hair, but you don't tip your mechanic? You don't tip your plumber either. They all are providing a service to you.

they have to try to understand you, they deserve a tip for sure

I don't have a problem with tipping, although I think it would be better if people got a living wage instead. What I don't understand though, is where is the line drawn for who gets tips? You tip your server/bartender and the person who cuts your hair, but you don't tip your mechanic? You don't tip your plumber either. They all are providing a service to you.
Servers get paid less than minimum wage. People who "protest" by not tipping are not changing anything, they're just ensuring that the person serving them gets paid like $3 p/hr.

Servers get paid less than minimum wage. People who "protest" by not tipping are not changing anything, they're just ensuring that the person serving them gets paid like $3 p/hr.
That is kind of my question though, what was the reason for "hey, you work in the food industry, you deserve to make less money."

I just don’t understand. If you guys go out to a nice restaurant or a high end steakhouse you rack up a huge bill and not tip at the end?
In that situation it rarely happens because those people usually have actual disposable money.

90% of the people that pull the whole "duh I'm not tipping because I'm an activist for a changing pay structure culture" are usually just a bunch of dumb younger cocky adults that don't have much money.

I remember the first spa job I had was a cheap cookie cutter franchise (affordable for working class) and literally everyone who did not tip had some low-paying job like vet technician or office assistant and they just wanted to give off the appearance that they had money. (I'm my area there called the 30k a year millionaire). They'll brag to there friends that they have a spa membership but won't tell them they don't tip and never do add-ons. They'll brag that they have a bmw bit won't tell them that it's on lease and is costing them over 30% of there monthly net income

Once I got to higher end spas that crap went away real fast. My current job attracts 80% of the clients people that live specifically in that neighborhood and I guarantee you even if there was a few non tippers they would never not tip anyways because it's not worth the embarrassment of someone in the area of finding out.

I tip decent but the amount is dependent on the service. If I feel like there half assing there duties, or forgetting basic shit I asked for I wont tip. For example I have had situations where I asked for ketchup and don’t ever get it. Or not having napkins for you at table, you know basic shit they should know about serving

Like I dont ask for alot lol but come on. Shit like that is a zero tip for me. If service is great though I will leave a decent tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back