Tinnitus, the remake

Full scans and all.
I kinda knew there wouldn't be any cause they could point to specifically but would attribute it to my car accident twenty plus years ago.
It was a really discouraging series of expensive appointments.
The only thing I learned is that I've lost fifty percent hearing in both ears.

Ouch, 50% sucks. Have you tried hearing aids? I have heard they can sometimes help people with their tinnitus if they have accompanying hearing loss.

I'm assuming it's sensoneural hearing loss and not conductive or anything like that.

I have no clue what issue you have, but mine changes depending on diet. Salty foods, booze, caffeine, and processed foods affect mine. I started keeping a diary of what I ate and eventually figured out what foods made the ringing worse. My ears still ring, but they're a lot better now.
It might not help you, but it's worth a shot.
Couldn't hurt to try.
Shit tests my sanity.
I'm still at a point where I have the urge to crush my own skull to make it stop.

Ouch, 50% sucks. Have you tried hearing aids. I have heard they can sometimes help people with their tinnitus if they have accompanying hearing loss.

I'm assuming it's sensoneural hearing loss and not conductive or anything like that.
They tried to foist me off on their partners who make expensive hearing aids. But the couldn't tell me if it'd just make the noise louder.
I'll probably have to trial them at some point.

They tried to foist me off on their partners who make expensive hearing aids. But the couldn't tell me if it'd just make the noise louder.
I'll probably have to trial them at some point.

Yeah hearing aids are kind of a racket. Nobody wants to invest in trying to find a cure because they make enough money selling glorified in ear amplifiers. We can do so many more things for vision loss than what we can do with hearing.

Thanks.
And thanks to everyone posting ITT.
I'm a musician and so I have listened to sound carefully, all my life. That's why it's so hard to ignore, apart from the volume. I play my guitar, that pitch is always over the top of everything. I stop playing, it's there. I fall asleep fitfully to it, and wake up to it. It's like having one of those little yappy dogs that never stops barking.
If there's an elective surgery to remove the small bones associated with this or whatever, I want it done, even if I have to go to a Dr Nick.

Don't worry, you won't feel a thing.. till I jam this down your ear!

My tinnitus is fairly mild at this point, occasional high pitched ringing with a constant ringing I only really notice when things are very quiet.
I do expect it to get worse as I get older though. Hopefully the science guys work this shit out in the near future,.

I played in bands from my teens through my twenties and also worked as a sound engineer for about 6 years, so a lot of noise exposure. Probably should have thought about using hearing protection a lot more.

I considered puncturing my eardrums with a knitting needle, but it'd probably just deafen me and all I'd be able to hear is the ringing

I went through the AM-101 clinical trials last year where I got multiple shots in my ears. It didn't really help much but it didn't hurt anything either.

Even if you cut the auditory nerve it will not make the sound go away, and it will likely make it worse as it would completely deafen you.

I've had this since just before Christmas.
Woke up with it, didn't think too much of it other than "This will go away".

It's not going away, I doubt it will ever go away. You know how it is after you walk out of the arena after a loud concert, your hearing is restricted, and you have that ringing in your ears?

It's just like that, all the fucking time.
I think it's just in my left ear, or primarily. But it's driving me spare (as the English would say). Crazy.
Last night it was so loud, it woke me up. I don't know if I can live with this, I'd rather be deaf.

Predictably, preliminary examinations show no cause(though it's certainly car accident related), there's no treatment. CT shows nothing.
I've been talking with Loiosh about this, he also suffers from this.

I'm losing my fucking mind.
TS you son of a bitch, I have had this off and on since an ear infection that followed a cold this winter. Days go by and the ringing sound dies down, or i am so used to it i ignore it and forget it is there, even though i know. Then something reminds me of it, and its like full volume again. Damn you to hell.

Back