Tinnitus, the remake

My one grace is that, as far as I can tell, loud music doesn't make it worse.
It provides enough cover that I can manage listening to, say, heavy metal with a consistent volume.
Great post.

And, again, thanks to everyone posting here, your comments and insights are appreciated. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, but as I said, I'm down in the bottom of a depression, and was already struggling with that.
And now this happens, the worst possible scenario for me personally : the specter of losing my ability to enjoy music.

Hang in there. It's a mother fucker I know. It's good that you can at least listen to music, but try not to play it too loud to begin with.

And life can be a merciless cunt when it comes to piling on even more shit on your plate. I pulled a muscle in my back recently and I'm bummed about that. Can't do much until it's healed. I be alright though. Just gotta keep soldiering on.

I've noticed that background noise does indeed seem to be the ticket, but not always.
I'm hoarding white noise devices and brainstorming methods... but I was in the midst of a horrible depression when this started... I really didn't need this. Not my hearing. I'd rather be blind or lose a limb.

Be careful about what you'd rather have. I've had it for 20 years in my left ear. You eventually learn to tune it out like married men who can't hear their wife.

Are you going to an ENT for this? Have you seen a neurologist?
Am, and do for my epilepsy.
Both are absolutely essential for a problem like this.
I recently had a comprehensive MRI done, so probably will get another done for comparison.
Good call

Be careful about what you'd rather have. I've had it for 20 years in my left ear. You eventually learn to tune it out like married men who can't hear their wife.
LOL
That's pretty much what this is like, my ear, with "...and another thing --! You never blah blah blah..."

Try this. It really helped me sleep at night. @Overpressure

417GCTMMCAL.jpg

What do you mean car accident related?

People think I'm crazy for bringing earplugs to every venue that might have loud sounds or music. My ears are safe as fuck. I think it's a failure of society that kids aren't taught to take care of their hearing.

People think I'm crazy for bringing earplugs to every venue that might have loud sounds or music. My ears are safe as fuck. I think it's a failure of society that kids aren't taught to take care of their hearing.
I had a car accident that tried to kill me in the early 90's. Left me with epilepsy.
It's not unlikely the two are related.
This could be a long term result of that. There isn't any immediate cause I can point to, like a concert I just saw, and say "This is the reason".
And I hate that. If I'm gonna have a problem, I hate not being able to point to a cause.
Because that often means I can't find a solution, which is the case here.

I've had this since just before Christmas.
Woke up with it, didn't think too much of it other than "This will go away".

It's not going away, I doubt it will ever go away. You know how it is after you walk out of the arena after a loud concert, your hearing is restricted, and you have that ringing in your ears?

It's just like that, all the fucking time.
I think it's just in my left ear, or primarily. But it's driving me spare (as the English would say). Crazy.
Last night it was so loud, it woke me up. I don't know if I can live with this, I'd rather be deaf.

Predictably, preliminary examinations show no cause(though it's certainly car accident related), there's no treatment. CT shows nothing.
I've been talking with Loiosh about this, he also suffers from this.

I'm losing my fucking mind.

I thought this was about some movie remake until the last sentence
but i think this might win an oscar anyways
and i think michael bay was involved in it somehow

am people think I am nuts for bringing a butt plug everytime I go to san fransciso
I am not gonna let some fruitcake enter mah pooper

Ben Affleck Steve Buscemi
and Some Big Titty chick
TINNITUS TOO
a Michael Bay film

Just remember that Beethoven was deaf, so there's that.

Did your guys Tinnitus ever go away?? I saw two doctors this week about my right ear and they said it would go away after a while cause my ear drum looks dull which means there is fluid behind my ear drum causing a pressure and imbalance. They said that the Eustachian tube is not draining it and it should clear out in a couple of weeks. Have barely slept. Gonna go buy a white noise machine and see if that helps.

Yep, I got loud tinnitus and hyperacusis a little over a year ago from an accident. It fucking sucks, and the hyperacusis is just as bad as the tinnitus.

How loud is yours and what does it sound like? Mine is like an old CRT TV and I can hear it over most ambient noise (driving, flying, etc.).

Yeah, the beginning was pretty bad. I tried to self medicate with a ton of pot and red wine, that did nothing.

What are you doing to establish background noise? Because that's the golden ticket.

And fuck yes you can deal with it. When mine started I was at the peak of high blood pressure and I managed to avoid blowing my brains out.

Does background noise mask it or just distract from the sound. To me there's a huge difference. The shower masks my tinnitus, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I've had this since just before Christmas.
Woke up with it, didn't think too much of it other than "This will go away".

It's not going away, I doubt it will ever go away. You know how it is after you walk out of the arena after a loud concert, your hearing is restricted, and you have that ringing in your ears?

It's just like that, all the fucking time.
I think it's just in my left ear, or primarily. But it's driving me spare (as the English would say). Crazy.
Last night it was so loud, it woke me up. I don't know if I can live with this, I'd rather be deaf.

Predictably, preliminary examinations show no cause(though it's certainly car accident related), there's no treatment. CT shows nothing.
I've been talking with Loiosh about this, he also suffers from this.

I'm losing my fucking mind.
"This will go away...."

{<jordan}

I've had it for years.

Did your guys Tinnitus ever go away?? I saw two doctors this week about my right ear and they said it would go away after a while cause my ear drum looks dull which means there is fluid behind my ear drum causing a pressure and imbalance. They said that the Eustachian tube is not draining it and it should clear out in a couple of weeks. Have barely slept. Gonna go buy a white noise machine and see if that helps.

Youtube white noise and save yourself the money.

How loud is it?
I don't know how to describe it. I'm pretty used to it. The only time it really bothers me is like when the power is out and its dead quiet. Then its maddening.

Doctor recommended an app from neuromonics.com Try free for a few weeks and let me know if it works for you. I lost my iphone headphone adapter cable so I can't. FU apple!

Yep, I got loud tinnitus and hyperacusis a little over a year ago from an accident. It fucking sucks, and the hyperacusis is just as bad as the tinnitus.

How loud is yours and what does it sound like? Mine is like an old CRT TV and I can hear it over most ambient noise (driving, flying, etc.).

Does background noise mask it or just distract from the sound. To me there's a huge difference. The shower masks my tinnitus, but that's about it.

Both, but mainly distract. It gets easier all the time.

I don't even need background noise any more, the tinnitus didn't get better but I got used to it.

Doctor recommended an app from neuromonics.com Try free for a few weeks and let me know if it works for you. I lost my iphone headphone adapter cable so I can't. FU apple!

Really? That site looks like a serious scam.

I don't know how to describe it. I'm pretty used to it. The only time it really bothers me is like when the power is out and its dead quiet. Then its maddening.
The reason I ask is a lot of people have tinnitus, and think it's the same for everyone. There really are different severities.

Back