Tinnitus, the remake

psychosomatic

Key word here buddy. Trust me.

this_too_shall_pass__tattoo_design_by_subject_tochange-d4utq67.jpg

Everything shitty thing in life can seem like the end of the world when it first hits you. Breathe, get through this initial phase of suckitude, and trust everyone here telling you that someday sooner than you think, you will barely give a fuck.

You mentioned something about a car accident. Not to go all Oprah on you, but be goddamn grateful you ain't dead, or missing a few limbs. We would not be recommending patience & a little white noise at that point.

I've noticed that background noise does indeed seem to be the ticket, but not always.
I'm hoarding white noise devices and brainstorming methods... but I was in the midst of a horrible depression when this started... I really didn't need this. Not my hearing. I'd rather be blind or lose a limb.

If I was blind I would find a way to end myself as quickly as possible.

I've had it for about 2 years, and it is hell, at first. But it can become bearable and even insignificant, over time. I listened to a lot of ASMR videos too help me sleep, and I keep a fan running, at night, for ambient noise.

Hang on, buddy.
Thanks.
And thanks to everyone posting ITT.
I'm a musician and so I have listened to sound carefully, all my life. That's why it's so hard to ignore, apart from the volume. I play my guitar, that pitch is always over the top of everything. I stop playing, it's there. I fall asleep fitfully to it, and wake up to it. It's like having one of those little yappy dogs that never stops barking.
If there's an elective surgery to remove the small bones associated with this or whatever, I want it done, even if I have to go to a Dr Nick.

If I was blind I would find a way to end myself as quickly as possible.
You see what I mean then.
This is worse than going deaf, for me.
I used to be scared of losing my hearing, more than any loss of a sense. Not now.

I'm a musician and so I have listened to sound carefully, all my life. That's why it's so hard to ignore, apart from the volume. I play my guitar, that pitch is always over the top of everything. I stop playing, it's there. I fall asleep fitfully to it, and wake up to it. It's like having one of those little yappy dogs that never stops barking.

I feel you homey. Something to keep in mind, as you suffer through this initial phase of 'why the fuck is this happening to me' and 'everything will suck now forever': Neil Young, Phil Collins, Brian Wilson, Eric Clapton, all suffering from incessant tinnitus, since they were young men, all throughout their musical careers. You'll get there.

Key word here buddy. Trust me.

this_too_shall_pass__tattoo_design_by_subject_tochange-d4utq67.jpg

Everything shitty thing in life can seem like the end of the world when it first hits you. Breathe, get through this initial phase of suckitude, and trust everyone here telling you that someday sooner than you think, you will barely give a fuck.

You mentioned something about a car accident. Not to go all Oprah on you, but be goddamn grateful you ain't dead, or missing a few limbs. We would not be recommending patience & a little white noise at that point.
My quality of life couldn't have been more compromised.
I'm the kind of person who could listen to a symphony and tell you which clarinet of the eight is off pitch from the rest.
Or at least, I was.
That's how hard I listen to things, especially music.
If music isn't enjoyable to me, I'm not sure what could be.

My quality of life couldn't have been more compromised.
I'm the kind of person who could listen to a symphony and tell you which clarinet of the eight is off pitch from the rest.
Or at least, I was.
That's how hard I listen to things, especially music.
If music isn't enjoyable to me, I'm not sure what could be.

It will take time. 1 week in, you are expected to feel this way. Hang in there bud.

I feel you homey. Something to keep in mind, as you suffer through this initial phase of 'why the fuck is this happening to me' and 'everything will suck now forever': Neil Young, Phil Collins, Brian Wilson, Eric Clapton, all suffering from incessant tinnitus, since they were young men, all throughout their musical careers. You'll get there.
Maybe.
But for sure, acoustic music is out. Gentle flamenco, out. Jazz, out.
I'm left with electrified music. And played quietly, it doesn't work. I have to play music loudly to be able to forget it for even a moment. And then I can hear it distinctly anyways over the top of everything.

you already know its psychosomatic TS if it gets worse when you think aobut it when you are high. I am guessing its similar to the thing i do where I constantly feel the need to equalize the pressure in my inner ear. I was driving myself crazy at one point by clogging my nose and blowing out until they popped, probably 100 times a day at least. I would get a minute of 2 of relief, then do it again. I quit that shit cold turkey, my inner ears started hurting from doing that so much. then i realized i could kind of like wiggle my ears and they would clear too, theres some muscle in my throat or head or something that makes it click when i do it, but at least im not fucking my ears up by doing the clogging thing where i blow out and they pop good.

Had tinnitus in my right ear for decades. Loud concerts without hearing protection is a no-no. Stop thinking about it, and you forget about it. Most days. Reading this thread made me notice it again.

I've had this since just before Christmas.
Woke up with it, didn't think too much of it other than "This will go away".

It's not going away, I doubt it will ever go away. You know how it is after you walk out of the arena after a loud concert, your hearing is restricted, and you have that ringing in your ears?

It's just like that, all the fucking time.
I think it's just in my left ear, or primarily. But it's driving me spare (as the English would say). Crazy.
Last night it was so loud, it woke me up. I don't know if I can live with this, I'd rather be deaf.

Predictably, preliminary examinations show no cause(though it's certainly car accident related), there's no treatment. CT shows nothing.
I've been talking with Loiosh about this, he also suffers from this.

I'm losing my fucking mind.

My friend shot his pistol close to my left ear. And I've had it ever since. It does get better over time but it's possible it'll never go away.

Had tinnitus in my right ear for decades. Loud concerts without hearing protection is a no-no. Stop thinking about it, and you forget about it. Most days. Reading this thread made me notice it again.
People keep saying that I should stop thinking about it.
It's like having someone kick you in the balls every minute.
I can't stop thinking about it, this isn't a matter of will power.
It's there whether I'm consciously analyzing it, or trying my best to concentrate on things I need to be doing, that normally absorb all of my attention.
If it gets as bad in my right ear as it is in my left...
I don't know how to finish that sentence.

Is exactly like saying "Just ignore what you see when your eyes are open".

Yes. So stop posting about it, fill your world with distractions for a couple of months and then your over it.

Until you read threads about it. Then it will piss you off for a minute but as your practiced at ignoring it, it'll pass quick.

Seriously, stop reminding me about it plz.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time right now TS, especially around this time of year, it must royally suck.

The only thing that'll help is time and trying your best not to get too stressed about it. (easily said than done I know)

When I first got it I literally was in tears because I thought my hearing was fucked for life and I'd never be able to listen to music again. It's a traumatic thing to go through, but try to keep in mine what others have said itt, your brain will eventually habituate to the sound.

You hear the ringing because of damage to the ear that caused the loss of frequency, so instead of hearing the frequency you'd normally hear you hear a ringing/hissing sound.

Right now your brain is trying to adjust to the new foreign sound going on in your head. And with your attention focused on it and being stressed by it the sound will be amplified. In time the brain will grow used to the sound. Just like someone who moves to a new home in a area with new ambient sounds like trains or a busy motorway, eventually the brain will tune it out.

At first there was nothing that really helped for me. Everything set it off. Thinking back it must've been because the brain was still trying to fill in the missing frequency. And this is why time is really the only healer for tinnitus, from my experience. Try doing the normal things you'd do but maybe avoid loud noises for a while.

Yes. So stop posting about it, fill your world with distractions for a couple of months and then your over it.

Until you read threads about it. Then it will piss you off for a minute but as your practiced at ignoring it, it'll pass quick.

Seriously, stop reminding me about it plz.
Stop hitting yourself. Why are you hitting yourself? :D
This is part of my process. Posting about *anything* takes my concentration off of it in a way.
Maybe I can just never have a quiet moment again.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time right now TS, especially around this time of year, it must royally suck.

The only thing that'll help is time and trying your best not to get too stressed about it. (easily said than done I know)

When I first got it I literally was in tears because I thought my hearing was fucked for life and I'd never be able to listen to music again. It's a traumatic thing to go through, but try to keep in mine what others have said itt, your brain will eventually habituate to the sound.

You hear the ringing because of damage to the ear that caused the loss of frequency, so instead of hearing the frequency you'd normally hear you hear a ringing/hissing sound.

Right now your brain is trying to adjust to the new foreign sound going on in your head. And with your attention focused on it and being stressed by it the sound will be amplified. In time the brain will grow used to the sound. Just like someone who moves to a new home in a area with new ambient sounds like trains or a busy motorway, eventually the brain will tune it out.

At first there was nothing that really helped for me. Everything set it off. Thinking back it must've been because the brain was still trying to fill in the missing frequency. And this is why time is really the only healer for tinnitus, from my experience. Try doing the normal things you'd do but maybe avoid loud noises for a while.
My one grace is that, as far as I can tell, loud music doesn't make it worse.
It provides enough cover that I can manage listening to, say, heavy metal with a consistent volume.
Great post.

And, again, thanks to everyone posting here, your comments and insights are appreciated. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, but as I said, I'm down in the bottom of a depression, and was already struggling with that.
And now this happens, the worst possible scenario for me personally : the specter of losing my ability to enjoy music.

Are you going to an ENT for this? Have you seen a neurologist?

Back