Time to be honest bj was never the best lw in the world , wec had the better Division

I don't find this implausible, and it demonstrates why Penn was so awesome. I agree with you that the guy is a legend. But it adds up to admitting that BJs argument for being the LW GOAT can be summed up as "what if". In 2010, I think Benson and Pettis would have been tough match ups for BJ. Maybe he would have won; maybe one of them would have won. I don't agree with TS that BJ was never the best LW in the world; he was. I do think it's becoming a stretch to say he was the best LW ever. In my eyes, LW has no clear cut GOAT like GSP at WW or Jones at LHW.

I can agree with that. Well put.

What about the strikeforce & Japan LWs if we gonna jump out the window with hot takes

I never understood BJ in GOAT talks. It took him 3 tries to win the lightweight belt. At times he looked spectacular and he was always entertaining...but GOAT? Nah. The only reason he is even in that convo is he was the first champ champ.

He literally paid Gomi to fight him in his prime from his own pocket. BJ was always looking to fight the best fighters.

Time to stop having revisionist history (or trolling). If you weren't watching back then, you probably don't know what you're talking about on this topic.
I was watching back in the day, and my conclusion always was that the UFC promoted «we have the best fighters in the world» while my the fact was that they only had a few. Dana even put hes money where hes mouth was and came up short when taking hes «best» fighter out of the UFC to challenge in an other org.

I was watching back in the day, and my conclusion always was that the UFC promoted «we have the best fighters in the world» while my the fact was that they only had a few. Dana even put hes money where hes mouth was and came up short when taking hes «best» fighter out of the UFC to challenge in an other org.
BJ left the UFC to prove he was the best.
He wasn't a company man. There were some of the very top fighters in the UFC at various times. Dana's bullshit wasn't always without a kernel of truth.

Back