• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Throwback to Matt Hughes last great win : choking a BJJ black belt, Ricardo Almeida, unconscious

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Almeida is a former MW fighter who had great wins (Kazuo Misaki, Nate Marquadt, Ryo Chonan -Hello Anderson-, Matt Brown..) and was looking BIG at WW. He looked bigger than Hughes in this fight.

He started off outstriking Matt, mixing leg kicks, high kicks, with good combinations.

Then he got caught with a great hook and strangled unconscious. Just like that ladies and gentlement. Fun fact, he was a BJJ student of Renzo Gracie, who was previously beaten by Matt Hughes.

Yeah I remember that. Almeida was kinda hyped and I never gave Hughes a chance. Cool win

Hughes was on quite a streak beating Serra, Renzo, Almeida before fighting Penn for a third time.

That first round KO from BJ really is impressive looking back on it. Last good win from him.

Insane win by Hughes. Equivalent of putting out any top contender today.

P.S.
I can't believe 2010 was 15 years ago.
Time flies...
<{hughesimpress}>
It was a great late career performance but no, Almeida was no top contender by that point.
It had been more than 5 years since he had beat a ranked fighter, retired for severla years, and had already lost to Coté after his return

Then he got caught with a great hook and strangled unconscious. Just like that ladies and gentlement. Fun fact, he was a BJJ student of Renzo Gracie, who was previously beaten by Matt Hughes.

Great moment in MMA history. I clearly remember watching this fight and how embarrassing it was that Almeida made a big deal about avenging Renzo's loss and then got quickly put to sleep by Matt just grabbing him in a front headlock and squeezing the life out of him.

I also remember wondering what in the world made Almeida or Renzo think they had any chance at all against Hughes considering how easily he completely dominated Royce on the ground.

Back