Media Thoughts on Michael Chandler

I think he is doing the right thing.
He has a low fight IQ. He needs to train explosivenes and speed. That's the only tool he has over most fighters.
He is never going to outbox Poirier or out grapple Charles.
He needs to suprise with explosivenes before fighters gets his timing.
He has no fight IQ.
He can win against anyone in the LW division with a surprise in the first round. But he will mostly lose to most fighters in the top.

I mean at this point in his career he is probably better sticking to what he knows and perfecting them. He has wrestling so that is the biggest tool to have. He literally could have won the LW title - was very very close. Let us not act like he is some kind of bum because he lost 1 fight.

This. Guaranteed that loss is driving him crazy. Chandler was so damn close to realizing his dream of becoming a champ and a dumb mistake cost him everything

No, Chandler is outstanding. The last thing you want to leave is your power and cardio. Technique goes out the window when fighters get exhausted.
War Chandler!!!

I like chandler and I'm glad to see him getting his due even if it's late in his career, but I think he's in the UFC for a few big fights. If he doesn't win, he's going to get cut because he's paid very well.

Gathje is a VERY high risk / high reward fight if Chandler can get it and I think he will. If Conor is sidelined for a year it seems like the winner of Gathje vs Chandler will fight the winner of Olivera vs Poirier. The loser of Gathje vs Chandler will be on a 2 fight skid.

I mean at this point in his career he is probably better sticking to what he knows and perfecting them. He has wrestling so that is the biggest tool to have. He literally could have won the LW title - was very very close. Let us not act like he is some kind of bum because he lost 1 fight.

The guy is "another bum" from another organization (big fish in small pond). He's just very fortunate to have caught Dan Hooker slippin. In 2023, we're going to wikipedia his record to see his underwhelming 2-3 UFC record or worse.

You can usually tell what people focus on by how they train. Their social media is also a good gauge since they like to post their training highlights on there. You can usually tell who focuses more on muscles compared to everything else. Like Conor for example, very easy to see the shift in his training with his training footage he would show. Compare all his recent training footage vs his old footage, very different content and it explains his current fight style vs his old fighting style pretty easily.

For example look at Canelo's training footage on his social media and his coach's social media, you can see what Canelo focuses on in his training.
Except what they choose to show on video isn’t necessarily what they focus on it’s just what they choose to video. A lot of gyms don’t want a bunch of people filming so videos tend to be what the fighters do on their own time.

Does anyone kind of feel like Michael Chandler potentially focuses a little too much on athletic attributes and not enough on skill development?

Obviously we don't see everything he's doing in training and he has made it pretty far in this sport, but his game has stayed pretty much the same for years; he has roughly the same skill-set and deficiencies that he had 5 years ago.
Hes always posting clips of him lifting, doing circuits, plyos, etc. and very little clips of him hitting pads, working on footwork drills, etc.

Idk, I could be completely wrong and maybe he does spend way more time on that aspect than any of us see. Just my thoughts!

It may be on purpose.
SHows he is active, training and staying in shape.
But he does not give away what tool he is sharpening, so his opponents will not know (until he faces them).

Does anyone kind of feel like Michael Chandler potentially focuses a little too much on athletic attributes and not enough on skill development?

Obviously we don't see everything he's doing in training and he has made it pretty far in this sport, but his game has stayed pretty much the same for years; he has roughly the same skill-set and deficiencies that he had 5 years ago.
Hes always posting clips of him lifting, doing circuits, plyos, etc. and very little clips of him hitting pads, working on footwork drills, etc.

Idk, I could be completely wrong and maybe he does spend way more time on that aspect than any of us see. Just my thoughts!

I think he has fought and trained long enough to know what works for his strengths and weaknesses.

I always wonder in the back of my mind how much the extra muscle helps or works against an MMA fighter. Or where should you draw the line. The pioneers in the sport came into UFC looking yoked but over the years looked allot less focused on weights. I know Randy later on was big on lighter weight and injury free. He probably saw it and experienced it.

Except what they choose to show on video isn’t necessarily what they focus on it’s just what they choose to video. A lot of gyms don’t want a bunch of people filming so videos tend to be what the fighters do on their own time.
Of course that element is going to be there but if you see a trend that will be what they tend to focus on. Of course there can be some misdirection but that usually when it's closer to an actual fight but just overall training they like to highlight what they work on. So you tend to see a trend in the type of training they do mostly. Like with Canelo and Floyd, you never really see them showing footage of them lifting weights, but you see a lot of pad work and bag work. Canelo with a lot of head movement work and power punching work. Floyd with the double-end bag, etc. Conor before was always doing more of that type of training and doing a lot of shadow boxing. Now all you see from him is lifting and him flexing his muscles on his social media. For me it's easy to see the shift in his training and how it affected his overall fighting style.

“he has roughly the same skill-set and deficiencies that he had 5 years ago.”

Like what, and what do you recommend ?
I am not a professional MMA fight trainer so I wouldn't necessarily recommend him anything, just my thoughts based on his consistent social media posts and fight style.
As far as style and deficiencies: striking his has a very wide stance, almost always blitzes into combinations (normally 1-2's), likes traditional Folkstyle/freestyle wrestling (doubles, mat returns, suplexes from the back, etc.), Is very susceptible to low kicks, tends to over-extend with many of his strikes and leave his chin wide open, which has definitely not helped his chin over time.

Sean Sherk v 4.0

Hes an all around solid fighter who understands the importance of prep and conditioning. He's limited by his diminutive size and chin fading with age and wear /tear.

Fun fights who should get everyone interested in seeing.

Instagram fighter. Him and Conor. Flex for the gram

Agreed.

The older you get, your physical condition gets worse. At this time it's better to perfect fundamentals rather than getting stronger or faster.

Back