Media Thoughts on Michael Chandler

JustBleed69

Touch-Butt Silver Belt
Yellow Card
Reaction score

Does anyone kind of feel like Michael Chandler potentially focuses a little too much on athletic attributes and not enough on skill development?

Obviously we don't see everything he's doing in training and he has made it pretty far in this sport, but his game has stayed pretty much the same for years; he has roughly the same skill-set and deficiencies that he had 5 years ago.
Hes always posting clips of him lifting, doing circuits, plyos, etc. and very little clips of him hitting pads, working on footwork drills, etc.

Idk, I could be completely wrong and maybe he does spend way more time on that aspect than any of us see. Just my thoughts!

He is in shape. We did not see the sparing part but those work outs are for explosion.

I mean at this point in his career he is probably better sticking to what he knows and perfecting them. He has wrestling so that is the biggest tool to have. He literally could have won the LW title - was very very close. Let us not act like he is some kind of bum because he lost 1 fight.

“he has roughly the same skill-set and deficiencies that he had 5 years ago.”

Like what, and what do you recommend ?

Super badass. Probably won't see UFC gold tho.

He can beat any LW on any given night. But with his explosive style and his age, I think his best days are behind him. He will be a solid top 5 LW for the next few years imo

My thoughts: he’s good enough and he knows what he’s doing.

Only skill/aspect he is a little compromised on is his height (can’t do anything about it and its more a physical trait) and chin. Maybe laying off training for a while can help his chin. But him trying to be in the best possible physical shape to out strength, or speed his opponents is a good thing IMO

Finish or Be Finished. Just Bleed God dream...
People forgot that he had a tendency to lay and pray in Bellator if the first 2 or so rounds didn't go well for him but I think he knows the spotlight will be on him in the UFC and wants to impress fans . Let the Just Bleed Gods bless the era of Micheal "Glass Cannon" Chandler !!!
<{JustBleed}>

It’s not even February and we are celebrating Chandler

He's a great fighter. He's entertaining and always brings it but he's very reckless also. Some of what makes him so great is also his weakness
100%. That’s what makes it great for fans though. He will never play it safe and be a points fighter.

I mean at this point in his career he is probably better sticking to what he knows and perfecting them. He has wrestling so that is the biggest tool to have. He literally could have won the LW title - was very very close. Let us not act like he is some kind of bum because he lost 1 fight.
No it's always better to keep evolving. People make the mistake of wanting to stay the same and not learn anything new. It's evolve or die for the most part. If your style gets figured out and you do nothing to change it, then you will always have an exploitable weakness that everyone will already know about. Then all your future fights will be you hoping they don't exploit your weakness or trying to match up with people that can't exploit it. That's what happens when you stop evolving your game.

You can usually tell what people focus on by how they train. Their social media is also a good gauge since they like to post their training highlights on there. You can usually tell who focuses more on muscles compared to everything else. Like Conor for example, very easy to see the shift in his training with his training footage he would show. Compare all his recent training footage vs his old footage, very different content and it explains his current fight style vs his old fighting style pretty easily.

For example look at Canelo's training footage on his social media and his coach's social media, you can see what Canelo focuses on in his training.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back