Thoughts On Korean Revenge Movies?

There's:

Revenge: A Love Story

Not a Korean Revenge movie but a Hong Kong one.

Pretty good movie.

11800532e2d1c5a2f1f55a781dd8ade68745a635.jpg

Seen Oldboy and the 'Sympathy for....' movies. Loved all of 'em.

LOL at spoilers for Oldboy, the movie is almost 10 years old.

All overrated. I Saw the Devil was the best, most realistic one IMO.

Some of the Sympathy movies and even Oldboy drag on and on too. Like so freaking long. And they get beyond ridiculous.

Old Boy was an amazing movie with awesome fight scenes and a wicked ending IMO.

I made a thread about Oldboy and I got flamed for about 20 pages... Now everyone loves it in this thread. Oh you, Mayberry.

I've seen 3 so far and they're pretty damn depressing. The movies are well shot but they tend to be about 15 minutes too long and the endings are fucked.

1) Old Boy - Different revenge flick in that he just goes after the bad guys that capture him. There's some sick shit in the movie and the ending was probably the most depressing of the three.

2) I Saw The Devil - The Old Boy characters plays a psychopath. First 1.5 hours was good cinema. Loses its luster after that due to unrealistic situations/dumb moves by the main character. Worth watching just to see the acting of the psycopath killer. He goes from harmless to crazzzzy in convincing fashion. If someone acted like that in the streets, I'd be shitting my pants. His demeanor was terrifying. The ending was also tragic.

3) The Man From Nowhere - Reminds me of Man On Fire. This was the most fun out of the 3 because the main character was actually kicking ass throughout the whole movie. Ending was sad but in a good way.

The first 2 movies doesn't have satisfying endings and it makes me uneasy. Not really a fan of those movies, so I think I'm done with Korean revenge flicks. It's too much for me.

OLD BOY is one of my favorite movies. I love Korean revenge movies and those Chinese WWII TV series which focuses on the war against Japanese occupation.

Revenge is a key theme of the fighting arts in Asia and is the main deterrent towards any future wrongdoing.

If you read my graphic novel MARTYRS, you will see that revenge is the key motif there.

Besides I Am Korean, I don't think any of us are Koreans.

Korean bbq is the shit though. I have one by my house, $9.99 all you can eat.

I'm Korean, on my mom's side.

And, yes, Korean food is amazing. Especially when your mom tells you she'll make you "a little bit to eat" and presents you with a feast that would cost 30 bucks at a Korean restaurant.

I'm Korean, on my mom's side.

And, yes, Korean food is amazing. Especially when your mom tells you she'll make you "a little bit to eat" and presents you with a feast that would cost 30 bucks at a Korean restaurant.

Ain't that the truth..or your Korean mom gives you shit about looking fat or getting fat, and proceeds to serve you a seven course meal with some of the most delicious food you will ever eat.

I saw the Devil, Chaser and Old Boy are some of the best...

they do fu*k up the translations a lot though on Netflix...

I might like sympathy for lady vengeance even more than Oldboy

it has a throwback feel to old japanese revenge film like lady snowblood

I just watched "Sacrifice" on Netflix.. Not Korean but it was a decent revenge flick. It's slow on the martial arts though.

Watched Yellow Sea this morning. It was really good. Good god was there a lot of stabbing and car crashing.

Spoilers

* Cutting tongue

* Sleeping with his own daughter

Just the tone of the movie like I mentioned before. The bad guy still wins at the end.

i kind of remember the tounge part. it was near the end right? it didnt really bother me because i saw a similar scene in Echi the Killer, its a great movie.

when i found out the twist about his daughter i lol'd because he got tricked big time

for some reason Old Boy didnt bother me at all, i guess its because i know its a just movie

Korean movies are really good and it is refreshing with the original plots.

Check out the movies from the following directors:
Ki-duk Kim
Chan-wook Park
Joon-ho Bong
Jee-woon Kim

I've liked all the revenge flicks so far.
Just saw I Saw the Devil today actually. I liked it, and liked the fact that there was a deeper meaning behind it all, and didn't just end with him saving everyone and getting the villian in the end.
I have also watched the vengeance trilogy (oldboy, mr and mrs. vengeance), and A bittersweet life.
Liked them all as well.
Im sure korean movies are not for everybody though. They are very graphic and usually sets a heavy mood.
They will also usually have open endings, or endings that "screws" the guy that the audience was rooting for, which is something people are not used to from Hollywood.
The plot in a movie like Mother is also very complex, and is a more of a character study than an actual plot. This is something that turns a lot of people off as well.

i kind of remember the tounge part. it was near the end right? it didnt really bother me because i saw a similar scene in Echi the Killer, its a great movie.

when i found out the twist about his daughter i lol'd because he got tricked big time

for some reason Old Boy didnt bother me at all, i guess its because i know its a just movie

I'm always Gotten To with these Korean flicks because the main characters are already suffering and in the end, they suffer even more. They can't get a break.

Except for Man From Nowhere, that one still didn't have a Hollywood ending but it wasn't too sad either.

Back