Thoughts On Korean Revenge Movies?

highkicknomore

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I've seen 3 so far and they're pretty damn depressing. The movies are well shot but they tend to be about 15 minutes too long and the endings are fucked.

1) Old Boy - Different revenge flick in that he just goes after the bad guys that capture him. There's some sick shit in the movie and the ending was probably the most depressing of the three.

2) I Saw The Devil - The Old Boy characters plays a psychopath. First 1.5 hours was good cinema. Loses its luster after that due to unrealistic situations/dumb moves by the main character. Worth watching just to see the acting of the psycopath killer. He goes from harmless to crazzzzy in convincing fashion. If someone acted like that in the streets, I'd be shitting my pants. His demeanor was terrifying. The ending was also tragic.

3) The Man From Nowhere - Reminds me of Man On Fire. This was the most fun out of the 3 because the main character was actually kicking ass throughout the whole movie. Ending was sad but in a good way.

The first 2 movies doesn't have satisfying endings and it makes me uneasy. Not really a fan of those movies, so I think I'm done with Korean revenge flicks. It's too much for me.

HE CUTS HIS OWN TONGUE OUT IN OLD BOY

i think thats fucked up.

never heard of the other two.

They make me moist in between my legs.

Koreans are nuts, but beautifully so.

Dae han min guk!

I liked I saw the devil. It was like seven if Brad Pitt didn't spaz.

if you want hollywood endings watch hollywood movies.

True.

Korean movies have a really dark and mean tone to it. Like you really want the bad guy to get fucked but in the end even though the character is kicking his ass, he still wins.

Man From Nowhere is cool, but towards the end it started to get a little cheesy for me.

I saw Old boy and I saw the devil, both great movies.

Yellow Sea is the best Korean movie most haven't seen. one of the most gangster movies ever with insane chase scenes.

haven't seen Man from Nowhere yet, but I agree Korean movies can have a tendency to drag on too long. They often have these weird aside subplots or flashbacks or something that are just random and bizarre. Still, some great flicks from some truly original filmmakers.

Yellow Sea is the best Korean movie most haven't seen. one of the most gangster movies ever with insane chase scenes.
You mean A Dirty Carnival and A Bittersweet Life our the best SK movies no one has heard of. The Chaser is pretty boss as well.

No knock on Yellow Sea I enjoyed it quiet a bit more then a lot of people but it does have some issues.

This sounds too graphic. I'm gonna feel sick. How can you guys watch them? I feel the pain on myself, it kills me. Did you guys desensitize yourselves somehow? jhaha

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is my fav, what a film (As you might expect it's quite depressing though, moreso than Oldboy)

A Bittersweet Life is quality too, following on from that suggestion

Not a fan of Chaser though

Will have to check out Man from Nowhere and A Dirty Carnival

This sounds too graphic. I'm gonna feel sick. How can you guys watch them? I feel the pain on myself, it kills me. Did you guys desensitize yourselves somehow? jhaha

How do you watch MMA?

Fucking-A Korean revenge and thriller films are the best of the genre. Nothing comes close.

The Chaser
Sympathy for Mr. Vengence
I saw the Devil
Man from Nowhere
Memories of Murder
Voice of a Murderer

Hell even Lady Vengence

Nobody beats'em

Some great Korean revenge movies out there, you should look into it. pretty brutal though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back