Thoughts on Couture's Workout...?

k0bun

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Before my injury (torn pec) I had tried the Randy Couture workout routine for a few weeks. It's definately intense but I was wondering what your opinions are on it? Can it help develop strength and power or is it more of a muscle conditioning workout? I'm slowly starting to pick up the pace again in the gym and at BJJ/MT and I figured now is the time to come back strong. Is this an effective routine or should I stick with a more traditional strength regiment and maybe add that on off days or something. Your thought?

Thanks

Randy Couture Workout
8x bent over rows
8x upright rows
8x military presses
8x good mornings
8x right leg forward squats
8x left leg forward squats
8x squat + behind the head presses
8x romanian deadlifts

It is mainly a conditioning type of workout.

If your goal is to build strength and power you are better off with something else, such as one of the programs recommended in the stickies.

It is, however, possible to combine a conditioning complex such as this one with a strength training program.

If one can btn press what they squat for the same reps, then they're not squatting nearly enough.

Couture's workout is the reason for him getting pwnt by Liddell. Look it up. That shit's on google.

That complex should not be the basis for the program itself. If you want you tack it on to a workout or two that's fine...but to have that be the basis of your training regimen would be incredibly...stupid.

Completely sub-par... I can't even imagine squatting for 8 reps what I can press would do a damn thing

Completely sub-par... I can't even imagine squatting for 8 reps what I can press would do a damn thing

You guys are missing the point. The goal of this workout is not to increase strength but to increase anaerobic endurance. It is not that it is a bad workout--it is effective for it is designed to do, which is to increase strength endurance and work capacity.

It is mainly a conditioning type of workout.

If your goal is to build strength and power you are better off with something else, such as one of the programs recommended in the stickies.

yea thats what it looks like

You guys are missing the point. The goal of this workout is not to increase strength but to increase anaerobic endurance. It is not that it is a bad workout--it is effective for it is designed to do, which is to increase strength endurance and work capacity.

*shifts eyes towards the conditioning forum*

Even from a conditioning standpoint... I just don't think the same weight would be effective for ALL of the exercises...

Even from a conditioning standpoint... I just don't think the same weight would be effective for ALL of the exercises...

Try it.

If you're done this or something similar to a bear complex, you know it will gas you fast.

Do a few rounds of this with 95 or 135 (heh) and post your thoughts.

Well, it's probably more effective than dumping the bar and adding/removing weight mid-circuit.

If one can btn press what they squat for the same reps, then they're not squatting nearly enough.

Couture's workout is the reason for him getting pwnt by Liddell. Look it up. That shit's on google.

I really don't think Randy's complex routine has to deal with Chuck's thumb in the eye, grabbing the fence, better footwork than the first time, and a few overhand rights.

I love randy, but i think this sucks. I've seen him do it on videos. What i can bent over row means jack shit when i'm squatting it, that's why this stinks.

Well, it's probably more effective than dumping the bar and adding/removing weight mid-circuit.

You could have multiple bars set up beforehand. Probably not practical for the average joe but i'm sure randy could be accomodated.

Randy has been grappling longer than most of us have been alive. It's possible that his workouts are set up to avoid things that aggravate old injuries. Just a thought.

You could have multiple bars set up beforehand. Probably not practical for the average joe but i'm sure randy could be accomodated.

This was my thought.... and I actually have tried it... and was still not impressed.

Its a good complex and another tool in the toolbox. Dont like it use something else for conditioning...

I didn't mean to use it as my entire routine. I was just curious as to everyone's thoughts on it's ability to help improve strength. I didn't do much research on him but this can't possibly be the only thing Couture does, can it? It does really work you though. After a few times trying it I challenged a guy in the gym to give it a shot. He was busting on me about the workout and I told him it's harder than it looks. He did 3 full sets with 20lbs on each side and he was done. He said "I have to go home now. I don't think I can lift anything else." Hahaha. He said the leg exercises killed him.(he doesn't do much leg work)

I agree on the problem with same weight/different body parts. I found that with the rows I wasn't getting anywhere near a workout with the same weight I could do with presses. Not to mention deadlifts and squats.

Anyway, I think I'll throw it in maybe one day a week and stick with the more traditional and proven S/P routines on the other days. Thanks for the help guys.

Back