Those medical "professionals" were a joke; Entertainement>Safety

MadHorse

Green Belt
Reaction score
Few points I want to make regarding the JDS-Velasquez fight:

1. I was rooting for JDS and had some money on him (first time in a loooong while I bet money on an mma fight), so I really had nothing to gain from an earlier stoppage.

2. Don't give me BS, saying they're doctors and they know better than us. I study medicine and I'll be the first to say that medical knowledge doesn't override common sense. When it comes to making a judgement on stopping a fight, I don't think there's a huge gap between the judgemental capabilities of a doctor and a long-time fan.

3. They tested his his peripheral vision, he didn't respond when they asked if he saw the doc's finger on his right side. I thought for sure they would wave the fight off right then. But what did he do instead: "Oh well, let's see if you can see the finger hovering above your damn head. You do? **** it then, fight on.

Bottom-line: Junior took tremendoes amounts of unnecesary damage because the doctors didn't examine his as independant, unbiased medical observers. The man could barely stand on his feet but they let it go on because there was too much at stake. It was similair to Glover/Maldanado but of course that wasn't a title fight. That kind of shit shouldn't make a difference to doctors.

I don't know where the fuck they hired these doctors from. Of course he's going to say he's fine. He's not going to want the fight stopped so asking is a moot point. Therefore, you go off on the medical evidence. Simple really but I guess a doctor stoppage doesn't make for a "good" ending for a fight.

And you'd all call them a joke if they stopped the fights too.

No one wins in life. Someone always fucking complains.

He wanted to carry on and was able to. He also tagged Cain a few times towards the end.

I'd rather the trilogy end in a decisive fashion rather than seeing people , including JDS, complain after the fight about it.

He wanted to carry on and was able to. He also tagged Cain a few times towards the end.

I'd rather the trilogy end in a decisive fashion rather than seeing people , and JDS, complain after the fight about it.

He also apparently can't remember shit. What's smarter, carrying on in a fight that you are badly losing and probably shortening your career by taking more damage or calling it a day? Again, it really shouldn't be up to him in that situation anyway. That's what the "medical professionals" are there for, to make calls in the best medical interests of the fighters.

"I study medicine"....hmmm, sounds legit.

Lady doctor should not have asked him anything, she should check is eye open if its not fight should be stopped.

And you'd all call them a joke if they stopped the fights too.

No one wins in life. Someone always fucking complains.

True. Fans always complain. What the fuck does that have to do with the doctors sparing Junior for further damage? That's the only damn thing that should matter to a medical professional.

"Do you have a headache? Are you dizzy? Ok, good to go."

JDS was clearly out of his wits and fighting on autopilot, same as last fight, and was just taking unnecessary head trauma. If the docs and refs aren't going to protect a guy in that situation, someone in his corner needs to.

Its not surprising that ufc paid doctors said he could continue. Kind of like how for years NFL team doctors cleared stars to go back into the game because that's what the team wanted.

I don't know where the fuck they hired these doctors from. Of course he's going to say he's fine. He's not going to want the fight stopped so asking is a moot point. Therefore, you go off on the medical evidence. Simple really but I guess a doctor stoppage doesn't make for a "good" ending for a fight.

There was a couple times on the prelims that the doctor came in to check a cut, and and eye poke I believe as well (I was pretty drunk).

Even being as shitfaced as I was, I thought the doctor was pretty god awful and I remember saying to myself "pretty sure I could be doing his job right now".

I remember one instance (prelims I believe) where he barely even looked at the fighter and just said something like "do you want to continue?"... and that was that.

You would have just as many people bitching if the doctor stopped the fight though. I guess at the end of it, your corner could throw the towel in if they thought you were in real danger (ala BJ Penn). If you're too stubborn to know when you're beat... given the chance by your corner or doctor to quit, and don't, then any (brain) damage you take after that is your own damn fault. They have to live with the potential effects, not me... so I don't really care.

"I study medicine"....hmmm, sounds legit.

I agree, the idea that someone would to go to college? Not likely. The idea that someone goes to college and has chosen to study medicine? Unrealistic. Someone who studies medicine and posts on an internet forum? Preposterous, no such thing.

He also apparently can't remember shit. What's smarter, carrying on in a fight that you are badly losing and probably shortening your career by taking more damage or calling it a day? Again, it really shouldn't be up to him in that situation anyway. That's what the "medical professionals" are there for, to make calls in the best medical interests of the fighters.

Words well spoken and those doctors dropped the ball last night and took years off of JDS's career.

Its not surprising that ufc paid doctors said he could continue. Kind of like how for years NFL team doctors cleared stars to go back into the game because that's what the team wanted.

Except the docs are hired by the state ACs?

I agree, the idea that someone would to go to college? Not likely. The idea that someone goes to college and has chosen to study medicine? Unrealistic. Someone who studies medicine and posts on an internet forum? Preposterous, no such thing.
lol, don't get in an uproar...I happen to agree that too much damage was taken but the "I study medicine" isn't exactly cementing your credibility as an authority.

JDS and Diego probably shouldn't have been able to continue, but I'm so glad they did.

Pretty sure AC hires/approves the docs. However, once somebody files a lawsuit re: concussions they'll be doing concussion checks between rounds in cases such as this.

And then factions of Sherdog will being calling others puzzies.

Lol u all want "wars" but when one happens, "the doctors suck, jds lost years of his life!".

Blood wasn't in his eye, he's fine. If Diego can fight with that eyebrow gash, Jds could hang in there too. As for him "forgetting the round ", give him a break he just got his ass beat.

doc: "are you okay?"
jds: "yes"
doc: "okay"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back