Those medical "professionals" were a joke; Entertainement>Safety

What are you taking about?
JDS was still breathing, and Cain was still punching. Sounds fine to me.

Seems like everyone was scared to get involved because of backlash. Especially Herb. They were all just waiting for someone else to call the match.

lol, don't get in an uproar...I happen to agree that too much damage was taken but the "I study medicine" isn't exactly cementing your credibility as an authority.

Internet posts are often misunderstood because people interpret the messages in their own way, because they read it in a certain tone. I'm calm, no uproar, friend.
I wasn't presenting myself as an authority either, that's what you make of it and it's telling of you that you do that. The reason I said that was to help describe my personal experience on this matter. I'm sorry if it intimidated you for any reason, seeing you chose to focus on that detail first and then respond to the actual topic.

yeah its funny how they ask them if theyre ok and want to continue. "oh so youre ok then" then thats fine, maybe Ill wave my flashlight a bit around your head to look like im doing sth and since you want to continue my work is done.
Instead of only asking them test questions and measuring response and actually testing their vision not just jerking around which is exactly what they were doing.

And you'd all call them a joke if they stopped the fights too.

No one wins in life. Someone always fucking complains.

incorrect, JDS and his family would have won. Which is suppose to be the officials only job.

honestly its relieving at times to hear other people realize obvious stuff like this - that thing the doctor did.... where he just put like two fingers up, junior said 'two' i guess, and then he was satisfied - it sparked a discussion about government corruption in my household

doc: "are you okay?"
jds: "yes"
doc: "okay"

Lol pretty much.

Dr._Riviera.png

If they would have stopped it there would have been a shitstorm on here complaining it was too early and he should have been allowed to continue...

If they would have stopped it there would have been a shitstorm on here complaining it was too early and he should have been allowed to continue...

the doctors duty is to the fighter not every single person on the internet.

I was rooting for Cain, and would have loved a nice clean finish; however, after the third round, Junior was not all there, and clearly not going to be able to defend himself intelligently. I was surprised the doctors or Herb Dean didn't stop it, and said to my buddy, "If I were in his corner (his coach, trainer, friend, etc.) I wouldn't let him come out for the fourth." I blame the doctors, Herb, but most of all I blame his corner. Sure, you want to give your guy a chance, but after the third, it was clear that Junior was only going to take a more serious beating. I was very concerned about JDS sustaining serious and permanent injury at that point---and his corner should have intervened. Even a title fight is not worth your fighter suffering brain damage.

Agreed.

90% of sherdoggers would talk about how JDS could have landed 1 punch KO and it was unfairly stopped because JDS wasn't "out".

Whatever happens in MMA there are going to be ppl shitting on it one way or another.

Internet posts are often misunderstood because people interpret the messages in their own way, because they read it in a certain tone. I'm calm, no uproar, friend.
I wasn't presenting myself as an authority either, that's what you make of it and it's telling of you that you do that. The reason I said that was to help describe my personal experience on this matter. I'm sorry if it intimidated you for any reason, seeing you chose to focus on that detail first and then respond to the actual topic.
Ok, doc...lol

OP, I see you are from Holland. This is nothing new in the USA.

Scary.

This leads me to a more important subject.

Mma and the UFC are still relatively young. The long term effects of participating, or more specifically, getting multiple blows to the head while already out, are still not fully known. Dana praises mma for being safer than boxing, let's see it this still holds true 20 years from now.

Nothing will change untill retired fighters are displaying the results of head trauma. I'll make a dark statement, guys like Mir, Nogueira or even lighter fighters like Sanchez are not going to walk away from this without obvious damage.

Also, nothing will change about eye-poking until some heavyweight gets his finger in his opponents eye socket and the footage gets all over gore-sites. But that's a subject for another time..

the doctors duty is to the fighter not every single person on the internet.
Lol mte. "hmm well, junior is in a pretty bad way and can't really defend himself sufficiently but if i call the fight off, sherdog will be pretty pissed.....CONTINUE!"

Ok, doc...lol

i work in the medical field so let me be the one to tell you that you're acting like an asshole in this thread.

just because you're unemployed, it doesn't make everyone else jobless.

1. they are doctors and they know better than you
2. stop being a drama queen, nothing happened, great stoppages.

1) JDS could see.
2) JDS could stand.
3) JDS had the will to continue.

Can't do an MRI in the middle of a fight, so I'm not sure what you expect a ringside doctor to do other than make sure the fighter ticks off the three criteria above. If a guy can see, can protect himself, and wants to fight, I don't see what criteria the doctors would use to end it. He got hit too many times? Who defines "too many?"

Scary.

This leads me to a more important subject.

Mma and the UFC are still relatively young. The long term effects of participating, or more specifically, getting multiple blows to the head while already out, are still not fully known. Dana praises mma for being safer than boxing, let's see it this still holds true 20 years from now.

Nothing will change untill retired fighters are displaying the results of head trauma. I'll make a dark statement, guys like Mir, Nogueira or even lighter fighters like Sanchez are not going to walk away from this without obvious damage.

Also, nothing will change about eye-poking until some heavyweight gets his finger in his opponents eye socket and the footage gets all over gore-sites. But that's a subject for another time..

Gary Goodridge approves this post.

Larsen, JDS, and Diego should have all lost via cuts. They were all torn the fuck up

Back