Those medical "professionals" were a joke; Entertainement>Safety

And you'd all call them a joke if they stopped the fights too.

No one wins in life. Someone always fucking complains.

Agreed its a no win situation. Dana kept saying he wanted Cain/JDS stopped in the 3rd. WTF?! fucking title fight? Maybe he's trying to show some kind of fake compassion. Worried about JDS losing his Nike sponsorship or what, I don't know. There would have been cries of early stoppage from EVERYONE if that got stopped in the 3rd.

I don't want to sound heartless, but it's hard for me to care about a guys safety, who chooses to get the shit beat out of him for a living. Cuts, elbows to the back of the head, snapped ligaments, its part of the game.

1) JDS could see.
2) JDS could stand.
3) JDS had the will to continue.

Can't do an MRI in the middle of a fight, so I'm not sure what you expect a ringside doctor to do other than make sure the fighter ticks off the three criteria above. If a guy can see, can protect himself, and wants to fight, I don't see what criteria the doctors would use to end it. He got hit too many times? Who defines "too many?"

That's not the whole criteria. If a cut is so bad that it could possibly affect the future of a fighter, the fight should be stopped regardless of whether or not a guy can see.

See: Starnes/Belcher, Sanchez/Penn, Fedor/Nog and others.

1) JDS could see.
2) JDS could stand.
3) JDS had the will to continue.

Can't do an MRI in the middle of a fight, so I'm not sure what you expect a ringside doctor to do other than make sure the fighter ticks off the three criteria above. If a guy can see, can protect himself, and wants to fight, I don't see what criteria the doctors would use to end it. He got hit too many times? Who defines "too many?"

Thank you, this about sums it up. I can't believe the volume of complaints about this (actually I guess I can, by sherdog logic). People bitch endlessly when a fight is stopped by a ringside physician and people bitch endlessly when its allowed to continue now as well. Its a no-win situation and this is why commissions never take complaints seriously, because somebody is always complaining about something.

There would have been complaining either way, but I was surprised when the doctors (why were there two?) looked at JDS with a fused shut eye and a right eye barely functioning and allowed it to continue. He also had seriously swelling and cuts, and during the second half of the fight he was in zombie mode. At one point I was wondering what the medical professionals were even there for if they would allow just about anything to continue.

Still, as a fight fan I was glad there was a definite conclusion. But it was at the expense of Junior's health.

That's not the whole criteria. If a cut is so bad that it could possibly affect the future of a fighter, the fight should be stopped regardless of whether or not a guy can see.

What if the cut is not leading to blood obstructing the fighter's ability to see? Cuts are usually fight stoppers because they can lead to vision obstruction, so it all relates to my first point, which is "JDS could see."

Plus, none of us, not even medical students, can assess the severity of a cut from our TV screens when compared to licensed physicians who are in the business of assessing cuts.

Lol pretty much.

Dr._Riviera.png

"When you were in that coma, did you feel like you got any brain damage??"

Its rarely a cut that is concerning for a fighter's future, its the repeated head trauma. A cut is a short term injury, and while it might results in scar tissue that will re-open easily, the long term repercussions of a cut are non-existent. Now, JDS saying he can't remember parts of the fight and thinking he lost in the 2nd round is what is concerning and that is what the ringside physician and commission is there for. And they have to make a judgement call because they can't do ringside diagnostic imaging.

I invented medicine.

No,you didn't. Not unless your name is Helio Gracie, in which case I apologize and thank you for inventing gravity, leverage, arteries, pain and fighting as well.

PS I was sure they were going to stop the fight when JDS's eye became completely shut. Poor decision IMO.

What if the cut is not leading to blood obstructing the fighter's ability to see? Cuts are usually fight stoppers because they can lead to vision obstruction, so it all relates to my first point, which is "JDS could see."

Plus, none of us, not even medical students, can assess the severity of a cut from our TV screens when compared to licensed physicians who are in the business of assessing cuts.

Not trying to be a dick but I mentioned that. I'm saying if the cut is so bad that it can open again many times in the future, it should be stopped so the cut doesn't get worse.

A cut is a short term injury, and while it might results in scar tissue that will re-open easily

That's the worry.

They'd waved off fights where the cut didn't obscure vision but exposed bone or too much tissue. It doesn't always have to involve vision.

Scar tissue isn't a major health concern though. Ultimately, its not affecting anybody's quality of life. Trauma to the brain on the other hand...

Of course it's not gonna hurt someone when they're 60 but it sincerely affects their fighting career.

There have been many fights where guys have taken beatings as bad as JDS or worse where it wasn't stopped. This is the first time I've ever heard people bitching about the doctors not stopping it.

I like JDS too but it's a fucking fight. You fight until someone wins or someone gives up. JDS could have given up or his corner could have stopped it.

Can you imagine the type of threads you would be reading this morning if the doctors stopped it last night?

"Dos Santos got robbed by the doctors"
"Dos Santos would have recovered"
"Cain didn't beat JDS, the doctors did"
"Doctors should only stop fights if the guy is dead"
"Doctors robbed the fans of an epic fight"
"Cain vs JDS 4 will have to happen now"

Thank you, this about sums it up. I can't believe the volume of complaints about this (actually I guess I can, by sherdog logic). People bitch endlessly when a fight is stopped by a ringside physician and people bitch endlessly when its allowed to continue now as well. Its a no-win situation and this is why commissions never take complaints seriously, because somebody is always complaining about something.

I didn't want to respond to that because I didn't think anyone would actually take that seriously.

First of all, who is this 'people' you talk about? Don't generalize mma fans. Different fans have different opinions.

So being able to see (barely), or stand (barely) and having the will to fight should be enough for a doctor? Ever met someone with a degenerative brain disease such as Parkinson's or Alzheimers'? Most can see and walk too you know. Maybe instead of making the matter so simple and easy for yourselves by being ignorant, you should try and imagine what's happening below the surface and think about how this will effect the fighter on the long-term.

I'll make it easier for you, since you seem like having it simple: Muhammad Ali could see and stand during all of his fights. Didn't prevent him from being diagnosed with Parkinson's at 38. That should debunk your idea I would think.

20131019101558_ad.JPG

I'm obviously not a doctor but I couldn't let this guy keep getting punched in that cut.

Of course it's not gonna hurt someone when they're 60 but it sincerely affects their fighting career.

Diego Sanchez is still fighting, still getting cut, still going the distance. Nick Diaz has had serious cuts and is not in danger of being barred by the commission (for cuts anyway). Lots of guys get cut, get scar tissue, and get prone to cuts again and continue on with their career.

Its fucking fighting! JDS wanted to fight and could still fight so they let it continue.

Not trying to be a dick but I mentioned that. I'm saying if the cut is so bad that it can open again many times in the future, it should be stopped so the cut doesn't get worse.

Should according to who, you? Or the Texas State Athletic Commission? Their site is down right now, I checked, so until you show me that that's in writing, I can't accept it. You should stop a fight because maybe a cut will become bad later on? That's too preemptive to me, and kind of absurd when you take that thinking to its conclusion. With that logic, any time there's even the smallest cut you might as well stop it, since it can open again and worse as the fight progresses.

You say the cut is "so bad," but how do you define that? Usually a cut's "badness" is defined by how badly it obstructs vision, but in your argument, that's a moot point because obstruction is not the problem but potential for obstruction at a later time. The whole argument is flawed, then.

I assume "assess the fighter's ability to see" is a criteria that is clearly spelled out, at least much more clearly than "use your predictive powers to determine what will happen to the cut as the fight progresses."

Of course the matter won't be settled until we see their official criteria. Until then it's all opinion

I didn't want to respond to that because I didn't think anyone would actually take that seriously.

First of all, who is this 'people' you talk about? Don't generalize mma fans. Different fans have different opinions.

So being able to see (barely), or stand (barely) and having the will to fight should be enough for a doctor? Ever met someone with a degenerative brain disease such as Parkinson's or Alzheimers'? Most can see and walk too you know. Maybe instead of making the matter so simple and easy for yourselves by being ignorant, you should try and imagine what's happening below the surface and think about how this will effect the fighter on the long-term.

I'll make it easier for you, since you seem like having it simple: Muhammad Ali could see and stand during all of his fights. Didn't prevent him from being diagnosed with Parkinson's at 38. That should debunk your idea I would think.

The physician has to make a judgement call based on the tools available to him or her at the time. They don't have ringside diagnostic imaging that they can stop and do a full assessment with. They made a judgement call, and people were going to complain one way or the other. The nature of fighting is violent, its brutal, and there is the potential for long term health consequences including death. The fighters understand this when they decide to become a fighter in the first place. The ringside physicians are there to protect them from unnecessary damage, as is the ref, as are the cornermen. They make judgement calls because they are severely limited in what they can actually assess during the fight.

Last edited:
They'd waved off fights where the cut didn't obscure vision but exposed bone or too much tissue. It doesn't always have to involve vision.

Who says that was the correct decision? Who says the states/countries where that happened have the same rules set by their athletic commissions for stopping fights? Who said JDS had a fight that exposed "too much" bone or tissue?

The doctors say. Unless you can produce the commission's guidelines and show without a doubt that the doctor's disobeyed them, this is all just a matter of personal taste as to how much blood and violence you can handle.

Back