• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

This whole Poatan to HW thing

Definitely Ank next.

In the meantime, let's see what the other LHWs do. Hill def needs at least 2 legit wins to warrant a rematch. I actually hope they rebook Hill-Roundtree. If Khalil can beat Hill, he could either be fast tracked to a title or be matched up with another former champ in Jan. If he can beat him, then he def would've earn a crack at the title.

I totally agree that Poatan shouldn't just sit and hope that some of the LHWs would get their shit together and rise to being legitimate #1 contenders, but at the same time, let's not rush him to HW. I want to see greatness too, but a move to HW now is not warranted IMO.

Now let's say he totally negates Ank's wrestling and completely smokes him, maybe I'll sing a different tune.
Hill doesn't deserve a title shot. He better get some emphatic wins and quickly. Alex's last two fights have been squash matches that invite no imagination for the rematches. If you want to talk 300 and say it was a short notice for Hill... will that was the merit on how he won the belt in the first place. It was short notice for Alex too right?

Khalil could be interesting

Let Alex clean up division. There's several fights that can bring up new challengers but Rountree ir he beats Hill might be a possibility.

But to be honest, If Alex beats Ank he'll move up for HW.

Hill doesn't deserve a title shot. He better get some emphatic wins and quickly. Alex's last two fights have been squash matches that invite to imagination for the rematches. If you want to talk 300 and say it was a short notice for Hill... will that was the merit on how he won the belt in the first place. It was short notice for Alex too right?

Khalil could be interesting
Which is why I said he (Hill) needs at least 2 legit wins.

Before getting into HW, Pereira needs to face the Dagestani challenge by fighting Ankalaev.

Fighters like Strickland, Israel, Jan, Jiri, and Hill aren’t known for their grappling. On paper, Ankalaev is a tough matchup for Pereira. If he beats Ankalaev, then we can talk HW.

I’m not sure Pereira is big, strong nor skilled enough to stop takedowns from guys like Jones, Blaydes, Aspinall, and Almeida. Gane, Volkov, Pavlovich, Lewis, Rozenstruik, Spivak, and Tuivasa are also big guys who weigh close to 265 lbs.

Pereira is great, but let’s be realistic, successfully moving to HW is no small feat, especially since he was fighting at 185 lbs just 14 months ago. He should take at least 6 months to gain a solid 5-10 lbs of muscle. Then he could fight at around 240-242 lbs.

Before getting into HW, Pereira needs to face the Dagestani challenge by fighting Ankalaev.

Fighters like Strickland, Israel, Jan, Jiri, and Hill aren’t known for their grappling. On paper, Ankalaev is a tough matchup for Pereira. If he beats Ankalaev, then we can talk HW.

I’m not sure Pereira is big, strong nor skilled enough to stop takedowns from guys like Jones, Blaydes, Aspinall, and Almeida. Gane, Volkov, Pavlovich, Lewis, Rozenstruik, Spivak, and Tuivasa are also big guys who weigh close to 265 lbs.

Pereira is great, but let’s be realistic, successfully moving to HW is no small feat, especially since he was fighting at 185 lbs just 14 months ago. He should take at least 6 months to gain a solid 5-10 lbs of muscle. Then he could fight at around 240-242 lbs.
EXACTLY!

Jones vs Pereira is a biggest fight the UFC can make atm.

Aside from stopping the TDs, I'm also worried about his chin. He could easily lose to someone like Lewis or Tuivasa if they connect.

Is dumb at this point IMO. Let's stop acting like excited teenagers who believe in make believe.

Let's not mess up a good thing and lose one of the best thing that has happened to the LHW division in years.

Poatan has a lot of work to do in the division (Ankalaev, Hill rematch, dope matchups like Roundtree if he can put some wins together, possibly Izzy trilogy if he'd nut up, etc.) to cement himself as one of the greatest, and he could use some of that time also to continue to work on his wrestling.

The UFC is already thin on stars. The way to build them is let them destroy opposition within their division, THEN move up and challenge each other. When Conor went up to challenge for a 2nd belt, although he had not defended his belt, he had gone on a tear within the division and there was no clear #1 contender aside from doing a rematch with Aldo.

Let both Poatan and Aspinall continue to build their legend and star up before we rush them into dimming each other's light. I understand Poatan is short on time being 36, but if he's not even ready for Blayde's wrestling, he sure will not see Bones. It'll just be a cash grab for Jones.

Let's not mess up a good thing boys. Poatan bless.
Conor also wasn't able to make 145 after the IV ban which was probably the biggest reason he went up tbh.

And pretty much lose us another bright star at a moment when the UFC is in dire need of them.
If it happens just hype Lewis to the moon as the everyman's champion, an ordinary man who beat the baddest men.

(He's an ordinary man because he's fat)

I disagree. Outside of Ankalaev and maybe Rountree there's no one at LHW and he's hitting his upper 30s. If he wants HW and there's a big fight for him there, get him there ASAP. He doesn't need rematches with dudes he easily sent to the shadow realm, no one wants to see that nor does he have time to really build himself a resume. He's not a rising star, he's already a vet and isn't going to be around much longer. Strike while the iron is hot.

Yeah I don’t want to see it. HW is garbage in general and fighting anyone up there would not be interesting in the slightest.

I’d rather see him defend his LHW belt.

I the ufc is just really trying to get some interest in the hw division since jones only fights once every 5 years or so

Every proper LHW is at least btw 220-240 though. Nothing special there.
That's why we need to get rid of LHW. Go big or go home. One deep division with intriguing, fresh matchups is much better than a few really good guys spread in two shallow divisions

Back