This Weird Diet Is Actually The Healthiest...

I thought pegan diet was about pegging. Leaving disappointed.
I originally thought it had something to do with eating Witches.

You know like the Red Woman from GoT.

giphy.gif

melisandre-birth-gif-1.gif

so just another spin on low carb and atkins

This Weird Diet Is Actually The Healthiest, According To One Of The Country's Top Functional Docs

Introducing the pegan diet.

Mark Hyman, M.D., is one of the country’s top functional medicine doctors and a member of the mbg Collective (if you didn’t catch his panel on mitochondria at 2017’s revitalize, it’s a can’t-miss!). ...Ultimately, he concludes that the healthiest way to eat is a play on paleo and vegan: the pegan diet. In this excerpt, he explains exactly what that means.

The vegan diet, for example, ideally incorporates plenty of whole, plant-based foods. As a result, vegans get lots of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and healthy fats with none of the baggage that comes with feedlot meat. ... But even a perfect vegan diet won’t provide enough DHA and EPA, which are important omega-3 fatty acids. Neither will it provide enough iron, zinc, copper, or vitamin D. Vegans are also unlikely to be getting the amount of quality proteins and essential amino acids they require, especially as they age. It’s possible to find sufficient amounts in non-animal sources, but it is incredibly challenging. But they’re definitely not getting B12 because it only comes from animal foods.

-----------

This is the diet I have been following for the last year before they defined it as a 'diet'. I used to be a die hard Meat'atarian however now my diet is almost entirely small amounts of meat or fish along with a ton of veg and nuts and seeds. Very little to no carbs, no sugars that are not natural. I have certainly noticed and feel a difference in my energy and health levels.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...rnivore-diet-all-meat-health-benefits-dangers

Eat fish, small portions of red meat and lots of vegetables. Why hasn’t anyone thought of this before?

We're slowly starting to circle the right answer in the mainstream. This is just a variation of the "Flexitarian Diet":
U.S. News Reveals Best Diets Rankings for 2018
Flexitarian Diet said:
The theory: Flexitarian is a marriage of two words: flexible and vegetarian. The term was coined more than a decade ago, and in her 2009 book, "The Flexitarian Diet: The Mostly Vegetarian Way to Lose Weight, Be Healthier, Prevent Disease and Add Years to Your Life," registered dietitian Dawn Jackson Blatner says you don't have to eliminate meat completely to reap the health benefits associated with vegetarianism – you can be a vegetarian most of the time, but still chow down on a burger or steak when the urge hits...

Becoming a flexitarian is about adding five food groups to your diet – not taking any away. These are: the "new meat" (tofu, beans, lentils, peas, nuts and seeds, and eggs); fruits and veggies; whole grains; dairy; and sugar and spice (everything from dried herbs to salad dressing to agave nectar sweetener). A five-week meal plan provides breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack recipes. You can follow the plan as it's outlined, or swap recipes from different weeks to meet your preferences. It's a three-four-five regimen: Breakfast choices are around 300 calories, lunches 400 and dinners 500. Snacks are about 150 calories each; add two, and your daily total clocks in at 1,500 calories. Depending on your activity level, gender, height and weight, you can tweak the plan to allow for slightly greater or fewer calories.

Flexitarian meals revolve around plant proteins rather than animal proteins. You might have cereal topped with soy milk, nuts and berries for breakfast; black bean soup with a salad and whole-grain roll for lunch, an apple with peanut butter for a snack and a barbecue veggie burger with sweet potato fries for dinner. Jackson Blatner provides tips like a tofu tutorial; a cheat sheet on veggies that taste like meat; strategies to "fend off flatulence;" and preparation tricks for different kinds of beans. Great Northern beans, for example, have a delicate flavor and are tender and moist, so she suggests pureeing them and making dips.

You can follow her regimen at your own pace. Jump in and try most of the recipes, sticking to the meal plan verbatim for five weeks. Or take it slowly, and test one of the recipes every once in a while. The Flexitarian Diet includes what she calls a "Flex Swap" feature: suggestions for recipe alterations and ingredient substitutions, such as adding chicken, turkey, fish or red meat to a vegetarian recipe. Jackson Blatner offers advice for all kinds of followers; if you already eat well most of the time, for example, she'll show you how to add variety. The diet is molded after her philosophy "Eat more plants, and do the best that you can."
The "Mediterranean Diet" has been winning surveys since I was in high school.
Mediterranean Diet said:
The theory: It's generally accepted that the folks in countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea live longer and suffer less than most Americans from cancer and cardiovascular ailments. The not-so-surprising secret is an active lifestyle, weight control, and a diet low in red meat, sugar and saturated fat and high in produce, nuts and other healthful foods...

It depends – there isn't "a" Mediterranean diet. Greeks eat differently from Italians, who eat differently from the French and Spanish. But they share many of the same principles. Working with the Harvard School of Public Health, Oldways, a nonprofit food think tank in Boston, developed a consumer-friendly Mediterranean diet pyramid that emphasizes eating fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts, legumes, olive oil, and flavorful herbs and spices; fish and seafood at least a couple of times a week; and poultry, eggs, cheese and yogurt in moderation, while saving sweets and red meat for special occasions. Top it off with a splash of red wine (if you want), remember to stay physically active and you're set.

Because this is an eating pattern – not a structured diet – you're on your own to figure out how many calories you should eat to lose or maintain your weight, what you'll do to stay active and how you'll shape your Mediterranean menu.
DASH Diet said:
The theory: Nutrients like potassium, calcium, protein and fiber are crucial to fending off or fighting high blood pressure. You don't have to track each one, though. Just emphasize the foods you've always been told to eat (fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy), while limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, such as fatty meats, full-fat dairy foods and tropical oils, and sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets. Top it all off by cutting back on salt, and voila!

For a 2,000-calorie diet, you should shoot each day (unless otherwise noted) for six to eight servings of grains; four to five each of veggies and fruit; two to three of fat-free or low-fat dairy; six or fewer of lean meat, poultry and fish, with one serving being equivalent to an ounce; four to five (a week) of nuts, seeds and legumes; two to three of fats and oils; and five or fewer (a week) of sweets. DASH suggests capping sodium at 2,300 milligrams a day and eventually working to stay at about 1,500 milligrams.
I remember at the height of my obsession with nutrition, the miniseries Generation Kill came out, about the stud Marine recon units, and it was the marine in the Bravo team who was revered among these dudes for his health ethic-- the baddest of the bad, the most disciplined of the disciplined-- who voiced what I still think is the most succinct dietary guidelines for an amazing diet to this day:

"The nutrition here is shit. Back home, all I eat is sushi and vegetables."
- Rudy Reyes

Ironically, it turns out that character, Rudy Reyes, was the sole character in the miniseries who was played by the real life marine member on whom he was based. Here was an interview where he sounded out some more thoughts:
rudyreyesultimatesurvivalalaska.jpg
rudy1.jpg

diet & nutrition
Moving on to the diet side of things, what are your thoughts on the best type of diet to be consuming?

Most importantly I’d say you should eat "clean" and drink plenty of water. The body needs fuel and hydration for proper function and to perform at its best. Eating "clean" simply means you should cut out the processed foods and focus your attention on foods that are "alive." These will provide the enzymes and raw materials your body needs to work.

Avoid foods that spike insulin levels, such as simple sugars, as they will lead to an increase in belly fat. Additionally, they cause your body to crash after the sugar high comes down and impacts brain function and mood negatively.
Additionally, portion control and feeding your body multiple times per day are keys to maximizing performance and weight loss.

Are there any foods in particular that you feel really should be stressed in a diet?

Definitely lean meat, whole grains and vegetables. In other words, proteins, long-burning carbohydrates and fiber — it's that simple. I like sushi because of the enzymes, as well as foods like raw berries because they help digest food, plus you’ll also get a great boost of antioxidants for your system.

If you could choose three physical exercises that deliver maximum results, what would they be?

I would choose:

1. Power clean press or the snatch for advanced.
  2. Pull up, with both pronated and supinated hand positions.
  3. Dumbbell push-up with a row and press.

life experience, fitness and fat loss

Looking back over all that you’ve experienced in your life, what would you say is the experience that taught you the most about what you know today, with regards to physical training and conditioning?

Never was I pushed so hard as when I was a Recon Marine. The training and deployment of Recon Marines is so total and visceral that it can't be summed up in one experience. Instead, it's a culture that thrives on accomplishing the impossible by breaking through plateaus and understanding that such things as fatigue, pain and hunger are temporary.

Shifting gears to fat loss, what is your typical approach when you have a client come to you stating they want to lean down?

I tell them to really watch portion control with their eating, drink more water (up to a gallon a day) and then try to implement anaerobic, super-intense compound movement exercises, training five times a week.

What are your views on the most effective type of cardio to perform for fat loss, and how much cardio is optimal?

Cardio is not optimum for fat loss at all. Instead, it's used to strengthen long-term endurance and keep slim people slim. Although there will be some fat loss while you're doing cardio training, you're only burning fat while training.
To burn fat throughout the day, instead focus on doing anaerobic and explosive-movement training. This is what will keep you out of breath and boost your endocrine system and metabolism, even when you're at rest or not exercising.

To finish up, looking into the future, where do you see fitness training moving? What are you going to be focusing on most with your personal training/life-consulting business?

I see fitness moving into a creative place inside the individual, not just inside the gym. This is a place where many different disciplines and modalities will be integrated for the best results per individual.

So, consider using some of these key integration principles into your own workout. The more you can make your workouts encompass a total lifestyle approach, the more benefits you’ll see with your overall health.
Even Rudy likes grains. It seems that dietary wisdom is never really sensational. It's always boring, mostly traditional, and just what you'd expect.

Could you list what meals on an average day look like?

even a perfect vegan diet won’t provide enough DHA and EPA, which are important omega-3 fatty acids. Neither will it provide enough iron, zinc, copper, or vitamin D. Vegans are also unlikely to be getting the amount of quality proteins and essential amino acids they require, especially as they age. It’s possible to find sufficient amounts in non-animal sources, but it is incredibly challenging.

<Rodgers1>

The best part

vitamin D

Sunlight, how does it work

Nutritional yeast flakes are vegan and contain a tremendous amount of B12

There's nothing weird about this diet and it doesn't need a silly name.

But even a perfect vegan diet won’t provide enough DHA and EPA, which are important omega-3 fatty acids. Neither will it provide enough iron, zinc, copper, or vitamin D.

Flax seeds are rich in omega 3s (they have the best omega 3 to omega 6 ratio of all plant foods, 4:1), pumpkin seeds are full of zinc, copper and iron (and a good amount of proteins too).
Vitamin D you aren't supposed to get it from your diet, you can only get minuscule quantities from food anyway, you either get it from the sun or take D3 supplements.
In my opinion if you don't want to supplement anything the perfect diet is a whole food plant based diet + organ meat here and there (liver for example is full of nutrients and has crazy b12 content).

Yep eating meat and veges and fruit is healthy. Milk won’t kill you either.

I eat a lot of eggs and intestinal organs. Organ meat is packed with nutrients. I eat more rice and potatoes than wheat. There's something weird about wheat, I have a feeling that humans weren't meant to eat it. I regularly consume fermented dairy products instead of drinking milk. I avoid sugar as much as possible. And I only have 2 large meals a day. I guess I'm on some kind of ancestral diet.

I keep vegetations to a minimum though. The human body can't digest all that fiber. Vegetarians are known to have digestive problems caused by their high fiber diet. Organ meat is more nutrient dense and easier to digest.

I generally just drink water and pray that Mars provides me with strength through tribute and worship.

Flax seeds are rich in omega 3s (they have the best omega 3 to omega 6 ratio of all plant foods, 4:1), pumpkin seeds are full of zinc, copper and iron (and a good amount of proteins too).
Vitamin D you aren't supposed to get it from your diet, you can only get minuscule quantities from food anyway, you either get it from the sun or take D3 supplements.
In my opinion if you don't want to supplement anything the perfect diet is a whole food plant based diet + organ meat here and there (liver for example is full of nutrients and has crazy b12 content).

The guy says "not even a perfect vegan diet" lol a perfect vegan diet would include all the foods you listed, so I guess it is possible to get enough of all those nutrients. Reminds me of that Chris Kresser guy on JRE claiming vegans have to eat spoonfulls of DHA and EPA supps daily to meet the requirements.

Back